Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,570
Registered: ‎06-13-2012

Re: Cure for concealer and foundation creases!!!!


@SilleeMee wrote:

Makeup primers work pretty well, too.Woman Happy


I haven't found a single makeup primer that has ever done anything for me and I've tried sooo many. Plus, even though it isn't that big of a deal,  I really dislike having an extra step in my skincare and makeup routine. I am a multi-tasking minimalst. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,044
Registered: ‎02-24-2016

Re: Cure for concealer and foundation creases!!!!

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze  I realize you will disagree but I find that Primer has many benefits. I would never use foundation without a primer because it creates a barrier which moisturizer does not achieve. Without using primer, foundation sinks into pores which is not a good thing. A primer does help with fine lines, filling pores & gives the skin a silky smooth finish. It also helps foundation last longer so therefore its a step I would never stop. I also think its a mature womens best friendSmiley Happy  JMO

 

Primers also creates such a smooth canvas & I find as others who agree with me that less foundation is needed than without it.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,348
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Cure for concealer and foundation creases!!!!

I have normal to dry skin.  It's under control where it's more normal these days.  I'm probably older than many of you, not sure.. but hate those product induced under-eye mark that come from smiling.  Like @HappyDaze I'm not big on primers.  I found a true winner in Mally's Cancellation Concealer - I mean not one line under my eyes all day using that stuff.  I've managed to collect a decent back-up from various sources since it's been discontinued.  I also agree... finding the right foundation plays a huge role in the under-eye area staying smooth.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,570
Registered: ‎06-13-2012

Re: Cure for concealer and foundation creases!!!!


@Kabella wrote:

@HappyDaze  I realize you will disagree but I find that Primer has many benefits. I would never use foundation without a primer because it creates a barrier which moisturizer does not achieve. Without using primer, foundation sinks into pores which is not a good thing. A primer does help with fine lines, filling pores & gives the skin a silky smooth finish. It also helps foundation last longer so therefore its a step I would never stop. I also think its a mature womens best friendSmiley Happy  JMO

 

Primers also creates such a smooth canvas & I find as others who agree with me that less foundation is needed than without it.


@Kabella I think it probably does work for some and don't think I've ever stated that they don't work- I was simply saying for me, they haven't done anything. Apparently I don't need them as I don't have any issues with my foundation fading throughout the day (again, perhaps it is the foundations I use just don't do that) nor do I have issues with foundation sinking into pores. I think perhaps I have good skin that is already a smooth canvas and in good shape- I don't use alot of foundation and, in fact, I prefer a foundation that is sheer to light over a heavier foundation.

 

I am also only in my 40's so perhaps, as I get older, I may find a use for them. I know my mom, who is in her sixties, does not use one and her makeup always looks flawless and, even in hot weather, it doesn't disappear on her. She does have some wrinkles and her makeup does not gather in her wrinkles. Genetics, perhaps? Smiley Happy

 

So I think in regards to the benefit of a primer (or not), it comes down to several factors, including the condition of your skin, the right foundation, your type of skin, etc. Not everyone needs them.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,348
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Cure for concealer and foundation creases!!!!

I'm 60 which is hard for me to believe since I feel so young. I have no visible pores-- even using a strong magnifying mirror.  Age isn't necessarily a factor in any of this.

 

@HappyDaze- I do believe genetics does play into how we age.  My Mom died at a young 67 with flawless ageless skin & nary a real wrinkle.  She had beautiful dimples. Many thought she looked like a movie star.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,044
Registered: ‎02-24-2016

Re: Cure for concealer and foundation creases!!!!

@HappyDaze I also have smooth skin & do not have large pores but I was giving my opinion why I think primer is beneficial. It does not have to do with age pursay, but neverthelss, we all have pores & foundation does settle in pores.. My foundations are BM Complexion Rescue, BM original & Armani Silk, all are light or light med. coverage.Maybe I should have explained my skintype to you or what I use for foundation but I did not feel it was relevant as I was giving an opinion for all skin types or whatever foundation is prefered.. Its ok to disagree, all is goodSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,570
Registered: ‎06-13-2012

Re: Cure for concealer and foundation creases!!!!


@Kabella wrote:

@HappyDaze I also have smooth skin & do not have large pores but I was giving my opinion why I think primer is beneficial. It does not have to do with age pursay, but neverthelss, we all have pores & foundation does settle in pores.. My foundations are BM Complexion Rescue, BM original & Armani Silk, all are light or light med. coverage.Maybe I should have explained my skintype to you or what I use for foundation but I did not feel it was relevant as I was giving an opinion for all skin types or whatever foundation is prefered.. Its ok to disagree, all is goodSmiley Happy


I just don't think it is necessary for everyone. I am glad you enjoy your primer! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,570
Registered: ‎06-13-2012

Re: Cure for concealer and foundation creases!!!!


@Funloving wrote:

I'm 60 which is hard for me to believe since I feel so young. I have no visible pores-- even using a strong magnifying mirror.  Age isn't necessarily a factor in any of this.

 

@HappyDaze- I do believe genetics does play into how we age.  My Mom died at a young 67 with flawless ageless skin & nary a real wrinkle.  She had beautiful dimples. Many thought she looked like a movie star.


@Funloving your mom sounds like a beauty, as I am sure you are too. I am sorry you lost her so young. I can't even imagine losing my mom. It will break my heart. big ol {{{hugs}}} to you!

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,280
Registered: ‎03-15-2010

Re: Cure for concealer and foundation creases!!!!

Well, here are my thoughts on the jojoba oil 'cure' for concealer and foundation creases.  It didn't work for me at all.  I'm using L'Oreal True Match super blendable liquid foundation and same brand of concealer.  The jojoba oil seemed to dissolve the foundation and concealer, no matter how little I used.  Jojoba oil can be used as a makeup remover, so this makes logical sense.  Perhaps jojoba oil performs better on thicker, long-wear formulations of foundation and concealer.

 

The decision to use a primer is so variable due to the formulation of the makeup, your age, skin condition and climate.

 

Many of the newer liquid foundations have built-in primers and using a separate primer is not necessary for those with lovely smooth skin.

 

I'm 60 but didn't really use primers until about five years ago.  I used to use other foundations with built-in primers but have now settled on L'Oreal True Match super blendable liquid foundation because it's the only one that best matches my skin tone (C5 - cool medium pink 'classic beige').  The True Match doesn't have a built-in primer so I find it necessary to use one with it to smooth out the uneven skin texture due to aging.  For the 30 and 40-somethings out there, just you wait, it will happen to you, too, eventually.

 

Climate has a huge impact on my makeup.  I live in a hot/humid climate (s. Florida) and nothing I use prevents makeup from liquifying as soon as I start to sweat in 90 degree heat and 90% humidity.  It's just a fact of life of living in sunny 'steam-room' Florida.  I do lots of blotting and makeup touch-ups.  But, when I visit dry climates, my makeup doesn't budge and looks exactly the same at the end of the day as when I first applied it in the morning.

 

So, just sayin', it's pointless to argue about using/not using a primer because it such an individual decision based on so many variables.    

 

 

 

 

 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 801
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Cure for concealer and foundation creases!!!!


@HappyDaze wrote:

My "cure" was to find the right foundation. I have these fine lines at the corner of my eyes that show up when I smile so I hated when foundations would gather there which many did. I have a handful of foundations I now use I found that do not do this. 

 

 

My skin is normal to dry- used to be more dry but has gotten more normal these days. And, again, the right foundation made all the difference in the world in terms of showing the dry areas or not. 

 


@HappyDaze, do you mind sharing which foundations you use?  My skin is normal to dry in the cooler months and more normal in the warmer months.  I like light or light to moderate coverage foundations - less is definitely better for me. TIA