Honored Contributor

Besides exfoliating and using a lotion with aha, I've been taking hyaluronic acid supplements. It's only been about 2 weeks but I swear my skin all over looks more hydrated...less wrinkles. They say give it at least 4 weeks, but I can already see a difference.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Just an FYI: This thread is from 3/15.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I am almost 67 and have exercised since I was 15. I also from crepey skin and do think some of it is hereditary. Sun damage will also do it. Being a teen in the 60's, worshipping the sun was the thing to do. Skinn has a product called Neck Amour that works beautifully for crepey necks. He is now recommending using on other parts of the body where crepiness may occur.

Frequent Contributor

What supplements are you taking?

Trusted Contributor

I think the crepiness is a break down of the collagen in the skin.  Regular hand cream isn't going to build more collagen.  You need to use a body lotion or hand cream with retinol in it or Retin-A to help build collagen.

I have crepey skin on the backs of my hands and now it's starting on my arms (I'm almost 60).  I've been using OTC retinol creams on the backs of my hands and it helps it from getting worse but hasn't rejuvenated my skin back to what it looked like 40 years ago, lol. 

Paula's Choice makes a retinol body lotion that I'm debating about trying.  Anything with a decent amount of retinol in it is expensive, though.  Oddly, PC doesn't reveal the amount of retinol in her product and it's about a third of the way down the ingredient deck, so there must not be that much in it.

I'm also making more of an effort to remember to apply sunscreen to my arms and backs of my hands.

Respected Contributor

Serious Skin Care on HSN offers a cream for crepey skin.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@Cookie777 wrote:
If you check out the pictures of the oldest living bodybuilder in the health and fitness section , it looks like her skin is very firm and she is 77! So it could be exercise is the best thing you can do for your skin. She also was careful to drink and eat right.

I don't know if it was this same lady, but I once saw one who could have been more than 77. She had this great body, very muscular, and yet, the skin was still crepey.  I couldn't believe it. Isn't the skin attached to the muscle?

Respected Contributor

I've found thast crepey skin on arms looks way better if you use self tanner on them. I use it all year long.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crepey Skin???

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@Cookie777 wrote:
If you check out the pictures of the oldest living bodybuilder in the health and fitness section , it looks like her skin is very firm and she is 77! So it could be exercise is the best thing you can do for your skin. She also was careful to drink and eat right.

I don't know if it was this same lady, but I once saw one who could have been more than 77. She had this great body, very muscular, and yet, the skin was still crepey.  I couldn't believe it. Isn't the skin attached to the muscle?

@Judaline,

This is what I understand...our skin has layers and the fat layer is the one "attached" to the muscles and bones. Just because you have toned muscle won't automatically give you less wrinkles. It depends on how loose the skin is to begin with and also how thick your fat layer is. My derm told me that the older you are, the layer of fat in your skin shrinks...well duh...it just migratesto the belly! lol!Woman LOL

Frequent Contributor

@CherryHugs Serious Skincare on HSN offers a product called Dermal Crepe Resist. It's about $39.99 per jar. It's a thick cream, so it goes a long way. Some of the main areas on the body it's supposed to be used on are the hands, knees and neck. I own it, I use it and I love it. I highly recommend!