Contributor

Dear ladies,

Perhpas I am slow on the uptake or have been living in a cave, but please help me understnad what is the idifference between a corrector and a foundation.  

Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Corrector versus Foundation

Are you referring to a concealer being the corrector?  I use a tinted moisturizer on my face and if I want to cover a certain area, I will use a concealer.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, a corrector is a product that corrects unwanted colors in the skin, like redness and darkness. Laura Geller's Balance and Brighten is a color correcting make up.

Esteemed Contributor

A product labeled color corrector is one which is generally applied prior to the makeup (same as primers).  Some primers are labeled as color correcting primers.  Smashbox and ELF are two brands I can think of offhand which have a collection of primers which are labeled to color correct.  Balance and Brighten is marketed as a color correcting foundation.  Laura's Filter Finish Setting Powder and Guerlain's Meteorites powders would be an example of a color correcting product applied last to set makeup. 

I think in cases where someone has extreme discoloration (redness or sallowness) these products can be helpful.  

Honored Contributor

Foundation is skin tone color. Corrector is purple or green or salmon etc. It uses color and optical theory to give you a head start on counteracting unwanted tones, like redness, on your skin. Corrector is meant to be worn under concealer or foundation. Or else you walk around with greenish tinged cheeks.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CindyStLouWho

Are you thinking about CC cream?  CC cream is a "color corrector" -- a product that addresses issues like redness or sallowness in the skin and "evens" it out.

I've been using a CC cream for several years and for me it means lighter coverage and less of a "made up" look, but it covers what I want covered.  It's just enough.

Lumene

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Dark spots, redness and dark circles are things that may need more than just foundation to cover them. Applying the appropriate corrector to the areas of concern, before applying foundation, will enhance your foundation and make it easier to camouflage flaws. Color correcting products are usually separated in green, yellow, orange or purple and used accordingly or you can buy an all-in-one product called a CC (color correcting) cream which contains all of them.

Honored Contributor

Since I wear a tinted moisturizer with very little coverage instead of foundation, I have 2 shades of concealer. One is a shade lighter that I use under my eyes on top of a corrector that lightens dark circles (usually a peach tone). The other concealer is the same shade as the tinted moisturizer to apply to any areas on my face that may need extra coverage.

Very few women can master a natural application of the green, yellow, etc. correctors. If your skin has a lot of redness to cover, choose a yellow toned foundation that will blot it out. Using green or peach on the face is best left to the masters and then only for photo shoots, etc. not every day makeup.

Contributor

Thank-you for the feedback; thanks to everyone for feedback!  I will need to try something because I have increasting freckles (age spots) on my face and they drive me nuts.  I hate them.  I've been purchasing spot fading cremes whenever I am traveling in other countries.  These kinds of products are easier to find in France and Asia.  BUT they are not a bargain and all results are very temporary, decreasing, but never eliminating the pigment spots.  I guess I'll start with one of the color correctors.  Stay tuned Smiley Happy

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank-you! All-in-one sounds like a safe way to start.