Regular Contributor

Re: Coral Nail Polish

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

I do not think nudes are universal.  You need only look at the Zoya website and read the descriptions of their nudes.  Some are beige or greige, some are pink or peach, some have a hint of yellow and the list goes on and on.

Our eyes do not see and our brains do not process color the same.

Honored Contributor

@Katharita wrote:

I have light, cool-toned skin.  I love:

OPI Give Me A Coral Sometimes

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qgU2pJYjCeI/TUwT2egyHoI/AAAAAAAAC30/ZnKWaWiOTE0/s400/DSC05111.jpg

6162WdHZXWL._SY355_.jpg (237×355)

Dior Diablotine

http://www.peachypolish.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Diablotine.jpg

f54e0b64d6ddce38b4db15f27c1e9043.jpg (236×174) 

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Coral shades range from red corals to pink corals to (cooler) tangerine corals to orange corals.

And are present in every sunrise and sunset. Smiley Happy

I'm a fair-skinned brunette with green eyes and it's one of my faves in everything, including home decor.

They're flattering to every skin tone, and bring a warm rosiness to makeup, accessories, and clothing. 

Feline groovy, you nailed it. It's all about getting the right shade of coral for your coloring.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I do not think nudes are universal.  You need only look at the Zoya website and read the descriptions of their nudes.  Some are beige or greige, some are pink or peach, some have a hint of yellow and the list goes on and on.

Our eyes do not see and our brains do not process color the same.

Exactly.

There is a wide variety (thankfully) of skin tones all over the world, so "nude" and "flesh" shades in anything are as diverse as people are.

Honored Contributor

@Vamp wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

Coral shades range from red corals to pink corals to (cooler) tangerine corals to orange corals.

And are present in every sunrise and sunset. Smiley Happy

I'm a fair-skinned brunette with green eyes and it's one of my faves in everything, including home decor.

They're flattering to every skin tone, and bring a warm rosiness to makeup, accessories, and clothing. 

Feline groovy, you nailed it. It's all about getting the right shade of coral for your coloring.

ITA, Vamp.  And there can be more than one flattering shade of most colors if you're lucky.  :cathappy:

Trusted Contributor

I own a couple from Butter London - one almost a nude/pink/coral and the other a brighter almost red shade:

1 - Kerfuffle:

KERFUFFLE NAIL LACQUER
An opaque pink coral crème sure to make an impression. A commotion or fuss; smaller than a brawl, larger than a snag.

9c06ddad5625d5a9425a506519b84893.jpg

2 - Macbeth:

macbeth_lacquer_11142014.jpg

3 - Trout Pout (I don't own that one):

bl-ss12-trout-pout23.jpg

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

More Coral shade selctions:

butter LONDON Trout Pout Nail Lacquer Comparison Swatches.JPG

keruffle2.jpg

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

lulu - That may be the most important factor in all this...how the wearer feels about the color. I bet we've all received a compliment or two about something we didn't particularly feel good wearing. Whether others find the color flattering on you doesn't really mean much if wearing it doesn't feel right to you. The main thing is you gave it a fair chance.

Quinny - I say if you are always drawen to coral shades, chances are that there's a reason. As I indicated before, start out with some inexpensive ones. Since you like pink/berry shades, begin with ones that lean that direction. You should be able to find at least one or two that are in the "hard to classify" category...look like they belong with the pinks when they're next to an orange, but magically look orange if you hold them up the pinks. 

Trusted Contributor

Wow!  Bold print and in blue!  I'm not going to bother answering your questions, however, I am happy and I am an adult.

Since I got such a tart response from you, might I ask the same two questions?