Respected Contributor

Recently there was a Beauty Thread about finding the right concealer. I read it with interest, and have been trying old ones, new ones, liquid-y ones, pots, creams, etc. I threw out quite a few older ones that just didn't work now.

My old favorite was Benefit's Boi-ing moisturizing in a pink tube. It was very creamy and had an outer circle of a moisturizing substance , almost a gel. Well, of course it isn't available now so I tried their Boi-ing but in a small container, industrial strength.

Way way too drying. My age 75 undereyes looked like the cracked Sahara. Even with argan oil or moisturizer under it, DRY.

Gave up on it, went back to Josie Maran's sticks, which I still like. Today put some of that on and blended it, then dipped my new Morphe concealer brush into the new Tatcha serum stick and then the Boi-ing that was new and too dry. Looked great!

After 8 hours it still looks great, but it is humid here, rainy, house is damp. Will this work in the winter? Don't know yet, but at any rate thought I'd mention the trick of mixing the serum stick w/any concealer to apply. Coverage was great and it's still moist.  

Respected Contributor

I agree with you about finding the right concealer either the color is off or the formula makes you look older than when you started. My mom had good luck with IT and she was in her 80's , i looked terrible with that one , go figure.

Honored Contributor

Concealer is my nemesis.  LOL  And if the color is off, it throws me totally off and I automatically just hate the product.   

Honored Contributor

Foundations and conealers are the toughest part  of makeup to get right....formula and shade. If you find what works, you're really lucky. Just hope it's not discontinued. 

Unfortunately, the companies come out with new and improved formulas or shades change, even though it has the same name. Often the one ingredient that made it work for your skin type is what was changed...just enough to make it no longer wearable. 

Honored Contributor

My winning combo (as winning as I can get) is not putting foundation under my eyes, Fenty concealer with a tiny drop of Hourglass primer mixed in and then Tatcha Pearl on top.  Be sure an prep undereye first.  I prep with an essence, snail snot, Tatcha moisturizer and Hourglass primer.  Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate and then light layers of the two tinted products I use.

Honored Contributor

Along the lines of what @monicakm  said, it's a must to get the skincare right before the makeup goes on. 

Respected Contributor
I don’t wear concealer, I use a color corrector and then apply my foundation.
Honored Contributor

I agree about concealers being difficult -- at least for me.  I have practically given up on wearing any under my eyes.  It usually just makes my eyes look worse --- older -- who needs that?  And some are irritating to my sensitve eyes.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Along the lines of what @monicakm  said, it's a must to get the skincare right before the makeup goes on. 

@JeanLouiseFinch ...and hydrate under the eyes the night before. I assume that we're doing that. 

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008   Because I'm fair, I can also get by, sometimes, with just the corrector and not concealer on top. My corrector is a pale porcelain with a bit of peach in it.