Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Jettison January

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Functional February?  Fresh February?  As in starting fresh because January was a bust?

As I said, January was just practice.

Fret-not in February? Fret-less?

Frickin' Fabulous February Smiley Wink

Feeling Fit & Fabulous in February!

Fun! Fun! Fun! February

Free Yourself in February

@FindingMyJoy and @just bee I like Free Yourself February. That can apply to the mental and physical clutter. But any will do.

@Eager2Learn 

Wait a minute... hearts in February... Braveheart... free...

Do I hear William Wallace being disemboweled?

Braveheart

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!!!!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Juici

That Juici apple is a major disappointment.  So mealy.  Not crisp at all. Woman Sad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

We have a whole day to ponder February.  I'm going to try to nap before I go back to work. Woman Tongue

Maybe we should just be frivolous.  Fancy-free.  Feral might be a little too wild. 

Keep those F-words coming! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

On the dog food subject, maybe I am a horrible dog mom, but I have been feeding all my dogs Kibbles and Bits for years and they have all done fine. My last little Yorkie lived til almost 16 and the ones I have are still going strong too with no health problems.

Some of that "wholesome" and fresh dog food is SO expensive, I think it would just be better to buy real "people" food and feed it to your dogs. Chicken breast, peas, potatoes, carrots, etc. is all cheaper to just buy in the store than those bags of dog food that are $5-6 a pound. That's just crazy to me. I can't imagine buying that. 

@rnmom 

BH and I made avocado and turkey sandwiches the other day.  He said we needed something crunchy to have with the sandwiches so he picked up a bag of Fritos for five bucks.  When I commented on the price he calculated the price of the "healthier" Terra chips I picked up.

He figured it works out to $7.50 a pound for Terra potato chips.

I could have had a steak.  The dog could have had a steak. Woman Sad

@just bee and @rnmom Speaking of dogs and food: Much to my disappointment (because I'm the one who feeds her), Cinnamon has gained 3 pounds since we got her just before Thanksgiving.

She's having some tenderness along her back which the vet said may be tight muscles or an inpingement, and some stiffness which may be arthritis. The vet said  these might be improved if we got some of the weight off of her.

So, she's been put on a "diet" and I feel so bad. She's only getting 1/2 cup of dry and 3 tablespoons of wet food, twice a day (plus1 dental chew/treat per day, and the tiny tiny Milkbone treats, along with a joint supplement).

We're supposed to get her from 49 to 40 lbs and go from there. I asked the vet what type of food is best. She does not recommend raw, and said dry and canned is ok but stick to Purina or Hill's (I'm not at this point). Wasn't it Hill's that had a major recall a while back?

@Eager2Learn 

Oh yes, the ubiquitous weight problem.  My dogs, and now cats, have always been on the heavier side of a healthy weight.  But I have to be extra careful with weight with Carla.  First of all, she will eat anything and everything.  Second, she is a larger example of her breed.  Sturdy, but not fat.  At least not yet.  I can see where it wouldn't take much to make her fat, especially as she ages.  We got over the line this past summer, I think mostly due to lack of exercise (normal in summer because it's too hot for her to do much) and too much human junk food.  

I got Carla down seven pounds by reducing the number and size of treats and reducing the amount of freeze-dried toppings.  I also reduced her kibble, but not by much because she was absolutely starving.  She still gets plenty of raw vegetables and occasionally some of the remaining venison I still have left.  She hates it and is begging for food and cookies constantly, but she looks good and is more active (unfortunately).  The vet said her current weight is perfect.  I need to keep her there to hopefully avoid future osteo problems, since her breed and size are prone to them.

All I will say about vets and their pet food recommendations is that I no longer pay a lot of attention to the brand they may recommend.  Mine doesn't mention it to me at all.  I look at what my pet may need and what I can afford.  Now when I buy treats, I look for low fat along with other healthy ingredients.  Same for kibble.  You have to remember that dogs are not humans nor are they wolves.  Dog food ingredients that sound palatable to us may not offer the correct nutrition for them.

You have to do your own research for what your own dog needs.  And then buy what you can afford that best meets those needs.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

On the dog food subject, maybe I am a horrible dog mom, but I have been feeding all my dogs Kibbles and Bits for years and they have all done fine. My last little Yorkie lived til almost 16 and the ones I have are still going strong too with no health problems.

Some of that "wholesome" and fresh dog food is SO expensive, I think it would just be better to buy real "people" food and feed it to your dogs. Chicken breast, peas, potatoes, carrots, etc. is all cheaper to just buy in the store than those bags of dog food that are $5-6 a pound. That's just crazy to me. I can't imagine buying that. 

@rnmom 

I'm reading an article right now about dog food that said that some dogs can eat 'Ole Roy and will live to age 20 and look like they're 8, while other dogs will look like they're 20 when they're 8.  That it all depends on the dog.  Like people that can smoke like chimneys and eat junk food daily and live to 95, and others watch everything they eat and exercise religiously and drop dead at 45.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  🙂

Valued Contributor

Well, January is almost at an end. As far as my stockpiles go, I used up 5 items, but I also added 5 items (4 candles and 1 cleansing hair treatment).

I will continue to declutter as I go along, but I probably won't keep track of the count. (I'm just tired of updating the spreadsheet.) Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Juici

That Juici apple is a major disappointment.  So mealy.  Not crisp at all. Woman Sad

Thanks for the apple review! That's too bad it was a disappointment. It seems like the big thing is to keep trying to make hybrids with Honeycrisp and some aren't turning out good. 

Trusted Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

Well, January is almost at an end. As far as my stockpiles go, I used up 5 items, but I also added 5 items (4 candles and 1 cleansing hair treatment).

I will continue to declutter as I go along, but I probably won't keep track of the count. (I'm just tired of updating the spreadsheet.) Smiley Wink

I almost bought candles at the recent BBW sale too! I believe you mentioned in another post that you bought Leaves. That is my all time favorite Fall scent by BBW. I was tempted by the sale to get some of the Spring scents since I don't have any in my stash...I love the Fresh Lilacs scent. To me, it smells like Spring and makes me smile especially when Winter is still going strong and I'm craving Spring weather and flowers. 

I've been tracking my items that I use up or throw out on a paper notebook. I like tracking to see progress of more items going out then I bring home. It's quite amazing to see the large amount of makeup, skincare, body care items I've used over the past couple years. Sobering to see in writing all the stuff I've bought and did I really need or enjoy the items? I was going to give up the notebook in 2020 but this month I tracked as usual and liked the process of writing down. Maybe you'll miss the process or come up with another way to track? 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

You have to remember that dogs are not humans nor are they wolves.

@geezerette 

And that's what makes them so special! Heart

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

I've been tracking my items that I use up or throw out on a paper notebook. I like tracking to see progress of more items going out then I bring home. It's quite amazing to see the large amount of makeup, skincare, body care items I've used over the past couple years. Sobering to see in writing all the stuff I've bought and did I really need or enjoy the items? I was going to give up the notebook in 2020 but this month I tracked as usual and liked the process of writing down. Maybe you'll miss the process or come up with another way to track? 

@FindingMyJoy 

Eventually you'll work your way through the products and end up with just the ones that work for you.  And then you won't have to keep track at all! Heart