Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 -- Adaptable April

@Brisky wrote:
Hello Everybody, Very late to post in the Month. I hope you are all doing ok. I am adapting to all my family being home, almost 24/7. Two big dogs and of course Eros. IT STINKS!
@geezerette, I noticed you risked your life to buy Carla
Dog snacks and looking at toys for her. No surprise to me.☺
@justbee, your photos of your home look nice to me.
We can't see the flaws. I think everything will fall into place after awhile. When all is new it takes awhile to adapt. It will grow on you.
Yes, my willow will get a trim this year. If it disappeared my whole neighborhood would definitely notice. It is a giant globe. Full bloom right now. But last night we dropped to freezing!

@KaySD, welcome into the thread. It's a good one!

To everybody here, take care..... Stay safe and we will pull through this crud... Feeling quiet here in April.
That will pass too... Brisk out for the night....

@Brisky 

Same here.  It'll be colder tonight, then start creeping back into spring again.  But the snow was beautiful yesterday and we definitely needed the rain.  Yard is happy.  Weeds are ecstatic.

image.png

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Hey, y'all. Love reading all your posts, and I appreciate where everyone is coming from. We really are living in interesting, not-always-so-fun, times, right? I wish each of you well. 

I'm happily snuggling down for more weeks of isolation. Everyone I know is working from home or retired or happy to have their jobs, including me. It's been 5 weeks tomorrow since I left home. I'm grateful that my state acted early and aggressively (yes, we have to wear masks if we go out) because it's working. 

Also appreciative that I have a tiny patio and garden area, occasionaly some sunshine, and as much as I need of everything else. Well, less money, but it goes farther now with less temptation. But I found a local nursery that now delivers. They're like cows at milking time--so full and so happy to have it taken.

I had a strange flu in late December into January. I was pretty sick and pretty low, and now I wonder if I actually had the new virus. No way to tell b/c there are no tests for anyone not currently sick. Wish I knew though--if I did, what a waste of a good immunity! I could be volunteering about six different places. That would be spiffy.

My diet is a bit random these days, but I belong to a farm collective and get a nice box of veg every other week. Everything else goes well as long as I have veggies! And today, my daughter dropped off a 1/2 lb of butter, a pint of cream and 3 avocados from her tree. So I'm in fat city. Figuratively and literally. Hey, you make the toast and I'll pour the wine!

@KaySD 

I get the same feeling that what many of us had recently was COVID-19.  The problem is that the symptoms are so varied from person to person, and some people have few if any symptoms.  Weird.

Sounds like you're making the best of a bad situation and, true, everything's better with butter, cream and avocados.

It's a balancing act.  Gas prices are low, but New Mexico depends on its oil and gas industry so things are grim.  Traffic isn't a problem because few people are driving.  My commute across town has been much more enjoyable.  But I feel bad about feeling good about the lack of cars on the road.

So many new businesses opened here and now they'll probably be closed forever.  I'm trying to be optimistic, but we're going to feel the effects of this for a long time.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@just bee Actually, I like your list very much. We are a global family of humans living on a lovely planet together and it's time we started to appreciate it. We're all different but all alike. Give the pols and warlords a time out in the corner, so we can enjoy ourselves!

I read that the pollution in Delhi and Harbin has dropped to near nil since the shelter order. And that the ocean has started to clear. Where I am, the air isn't so bad, but the normal noise is ferocious, and today it sounds like Sunday dawn instead of Monday rush hour. What a blessing.

Call me a Pollyanna if you like, but I'm a big fan of paying attention to the best thing I can manage at any given moment. Sometimes it's pretty small, but still, there's always someting. I bet that Pollyanna had a heppy life!

@KaySD 

I'm trying! Woman LOL

Now I have to mail this check to the state so it gets to them on time. Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

@just bee Oh, yes, for a long time. And changes both refreshing and grievous. And I know I won't be around for many of the long term effects. Still, it helps (me, anyway) to reach for the biggest perspective I can at any moment. When I can manage to see it, I feel sure that all is very well. I just don't see what it will look like. And, you know the saying, worrying is just using your imagination to create what you don't want. 

Meanwhile, eggs gently fried in cream for breakfast. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KaySD wrote:

@just bee Oh, yes, for a long time. And changes both refreshing and grievous. And I know I won't be around for many of the long term effects. Still, it helps (me, anyway) to reach for the biggest perspective I can at any moment. When I can manage to see it, I feel sure that all is very well. I just don't see what it will look like. And, you know the saying, worrying is just using your imagination to create what you don't want. 

Meanwhile, eggs gently fried in cream for breakfast. 

@KaySD 

Good point. Heart

Ooooh... eggs in cream...

ETA:

I like to use sour cream in scrambled eggs.  Noms...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still don't understand the mask thing.  Perhaps one of you experienced medical professionals can enlighten me.  Or explain it in minute enough terms that my tiny little brain can finally understand.

'They' say that if I wear a mask, no one else will get my germ-y droplets if I sneeze, cough or even just talk.  But my mask won't protect me from someone else's germs.  How is that so?  If the germs are stopped by the fabric going out, why aren't they stopped from coming in?  My logical mind just can't get a handle on that.

Good thing I'm not a doctor, I guess. 👩🏻‍⚕️

Honored Contributor

So I have a new washer coming tomorrow.

My dilemma is this: how do I disinfect an entire machine that is supposed to disinfect my clothes?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

So I have a new washer coming tomorrow.

My dilemma is this: how do I disinfect an entire machine that is supposed to disinfect my clothes?

@geezerette 

image.png

I wonder if it will show up wrapped in plastic.  We're still picking plastic off our appliances.

It can be wiped down with disinfectant wipes (which are death on your hands), but then it will be installed and you won't be able to wipe down the sides once it's where it's supposed to be.

I think the best you can do is give it a wipe and then wash some clothes.  Every surface in this house has been touched by just about everybody and they never actually cleaned the place before we moved in.  They're still coming in.  Some are wearing bandanas.  Not everyone is wearing gloves.  Which is good because their gloves are probably filthy.

The delivery guy will probably want you to sign something.  I've been wiping my pens before and after I ask anyone to sign.  I'd stopped asking them to sign at first, but now I just clean my pens.

I'd be more worried about the pen than the washer. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I still don't understand the mask thing.  Perhaps one of you experienced medical professionals can enlighten me.  Or explain it in minute enough terms that my tiny little brain can finally understand.

'They' say that if I wear a mask, no one else will get my germ-y droplets if I sneeze, cough or even just talk.  But my mask won't protect me from someone else's germs.  How is that so?  If the germs are stopped by the fabric going out, why aren't they stopped from coming in?  My logical mind just can't get a handle on that.

Good thing I'm not a doctor, I guess. 👩🏻‍⚕️

@geezerette 

What version of the mask story do you want to hear?  As far as I'm concerned, a mask will slow travel so there is some protection.  But what concerns me is that you might be wearing a mask but that doesn't keep germs from landing on it.  If you touch the outside of the mask you'll be touching germs and then spreading them to whatever else you touch.

I'm not wiping down every item I buy from stores and I'm sure they've been touched by a number of people.  Some of the nurses I work with are stripping in the garage before they enter the house.  So you're leaving your germy clothes in the garage?  Washing your jacket?  Your tote bag?  How does this work?

Since we've moved back into the house, I've picked out a pair of shoes to wear to work and I'm leaving those in the garage.  But what about the shoes I wear to the store or to walk the dog?  Are they less germy?  Like I told BH, at least the floors at work get mopped during the shift.

Right now I think I'm so irritable that I would repel germs.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

At least I'm excited about your new washer!

Let us know what you think of it.  So far I like ours.  Probably because it's white and not stainless steel.