Honored Contributor

ComPact 2017 – Sensible September!

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Sensible September!

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

HEP Dogs

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love this thread!! Thanks for starting. Several months ago changed my life dramatically by choosing plant based lifestyle thereafter 100% vegan along with no processed foods sugar salt chemicals. When I say life changing i'm not exaggerating. Healed every single inflammation in my body. Plant based best beauty secret skin becomes tone and clarified youthful appearance. September 59th BD never felt more alive. Son other day said Mom you have taken off twenty years you look incredible. For me it completely was my health I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Had no clue the bonus of looking younger. Exercise is an important part of the equation began walking then working out elliptical machine best investment which brought me to running my first marathon. Aging doesn't have to mean weight gain sickness and disease. Learned valuable information about the truth I was putting in my body NetFlix Food Inc Each day new experience of feeling connected with life. Practice the concept of the Secret power of intentions when I embarked on my wellness journey went through all my large size clothing removing donated knowing would never wear again replacing them with size small. Love the saying-Build it and they will come. Make today count. Thanks again for starting this topic.🙋

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Love this thread!! Thanks for starting. Several months ago changed my life dramatically by choosing plant based lifestyle thereafter 100% vegan along with no processed foods sugar salt chemicals. When I say life changing i'm not exaggerating. Healed every single inflammation in my body. Plant based best beauty secret skin becomes tone and clarified youthful appearance. September 59th BD never felt more alive. Son other day said Mom you have taken off twenty years you look incredible. For me it completely was my health I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Had no clue the bonus of looking younger. Exercise is an important part of the equation began walking then working out elliptical machine best investment which brought me to running my first marathon. Aging doesn't have to mean weight gain sickness and disease. Learned valuable information about the truth I was putting in my body NetFlix Food Inc Each day new experience of feeling connected with life. Practice the concept of the Secret power of intentions when I embarked on my wellness journey went through all my large size clothing removing donated knowing would never wear again replacing them with size small. Love the saying-Build it and they will come. Make today count. Thanks again for starting this topic.🙋

@Sweet_Serenity

Wow!  What a wonderful way to kick off Sensible September!

Are you familiar with Blissful Basil?

Recently I was Googling those fruit-topped custard tarts and I stumbled across this site because of a raw blueberry and kiwi tart.  I just couldn't stop looking at the photographs of this thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity

Wow!  What a wonderful way to kick off Sensible September!

Are you familiar with Blissful Basil?

Recently I was Googling those fruit-topped custard tarts and I stumbled across this site because of a raw blueberry and kiwi tart.  I just couldn't stop looking at the photographs of this thing.

I'll check it out. I do not eat wheat or gluton wonder what the crust is made of? Eat blueberries and other berrys daily grind my organic flax seed make topping for texture omyy!! Sweet dreams are made of this.😍

Honored Contributor

I don't see any wheat!

Prep time
1 hour 15 mins
Total time
1 hour 15 mins

Author: Blissful Basil
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 12
Ingredients
  • 2 cups raw almonds
  • 2 1/2 cups pitted medjool dates, divided
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
  • 1 vanilla bean, caviar removed
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
  • 6 kiwis, peeled and divided
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries, divided

Instructions
  1. Add the raw almonds, 2 cups medjool dates, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla bean caviar, and a pinch of nutmeg to a food processor. Pulse 8-10 times and then let everything process into a fine meal for 3-5 minutes. Add in the tablespoon of water and continue to process for another minute or until the mixture rolls in a ball within the food processor.
  2. Line the bottom of a 10-inch round tart pan with parchment paper (I usually trace the tart pan insert and then cut the parchment paper out).
  3. Dump the crust mixture into the tart pan and press into the pan and up the sides. Be patient with this step as it will take several minutes to get it spread evenly and pressed into the pan. If the mixture is too sticky, dip your fingers in water to repel the mixture as you're pressing it into the pan.
  4. Place the tart pan in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to let the crust set (the crust can be made a day ahead of time and stored in the freezer).
  5. While the crust is chilling, soak 1 cup of raw cashews in warm water for at least 30 minutes. Drain.
  6. Add the cashews, banana, 3 pitted dates, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the food processor. Process for 5-7 minutes or until completely smooth.
  7. Pour the banana-cashew cream into the tart shell and place in freezer for 10 minutes to set.
  8. While the cashew cream is setting, add 2 kiwis, 1/2 cup of blueberries, and 4 pitted dates to a blender. Blend until a smooth glaze forms (approximately 2 minutes).
  9. Pour blueberry-kiwi glaze over the banana-cashew cream and carefully spread across surface.
  10. Thinly slice 4 kiwis. Add kiwis and 1 cup blueberries to a bowl and toss in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
  11. Arrange the blueberries and kiwis in circles working your way inward from the outer edge of the tart.
  12. Refrigerate or freeze for 15 minutes to set before slicing. Slice with a sharp knife, serve, and enjoy.
  13. Refrigerate leftovers.

Honored Contributor

@just bee

That sounds delicious!  

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

That sounds delicious!  

@geezerette

Why is everyone awake at this hour?

I know why I'm awake -- I took a night off from work and the dog has been wanting to go outside to investigate trespassers.  He wouldn't rest, so out we went.  Can you say Skunky September?

But back to this tart.  The photos were mesmerizing.

tart

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

That sounds delicious!  

@geezerette

I know why I'm awake -- I took a night off from work and the dog has been wanting to go outside to investigate trespassers.  He wouldn't rest, so out we went.  Can you say Skunky September?

tart

@just bee

I was going to ask that same question!  I normally am awake about this time but lately have just been crawling back into bed.  I just happened to stay up today--I have to start implementing all those resolutions I've been concocting in my head.  Trying to get in my Pilates before I get the dog out for a change.  Too often by the time I get back from her walk I've been skipping my exercises and it's starting to take its toll.

New month, new routines! 

This is will probably last until noon...

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

That sounds delicious!  

@geezerette

tart

@just bee

I was going to ask that same question!  I normally am awake about this time but lately have just been crawling back into bed.  I just happened to stay up today--I have to start implementing all those resolutions I've been concocting in my head.  Trying to get in my Pilates before I get the dog out for a change.  Too often by the time I get back from her walk I've been skipping my exercises and it's starting to take its toll.

New month, new routines! 

This is will probably last until noon...

@geezerette

Ar, ar, ar, ar, ar!

Reminds me that my QVC Pilates Performer has been living in the hall closet since... well, since I bought it.  There was a brief period... I did use it... I did like it.  Then it went into the closet and that's where it has lived for...  Good grief, it had to be the Clinton administration.

I don't get it.  I actually endorse stretching.  Don't want to jinx it, but even at my age I am still pretty limber.  I like yoga very much.  Very much indeed.  I'd like it even more if I actually did it.

Yoga and Pilates have been a challenge because as soon as I get on the floor, any dog I might have at the time assumes I've had a seizure and goes into panic mode.  Suddenly they're Lassie and they're all frantic and wild-eyed, looking for help.

Maybe I should be one of those people that spends more time on the floor so the dog doesn't go into crisis mode.  Something's wrong: Mom's on the floor.  Must find help.

This is why walking has been my main mode of exercise.  The dog is comfortable when I am in an upright position.  I know he checks me out while I'm sleeping.  Sniff.  Sniff.  Yes.  She is still breathing.  I will eat today.

Here's to a sensible September.