Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Sensible September!

@just bee wrote:

Hey!  Any suggestions for October's O-word?

@just bee

Does it have to be one word?  I can think of several things with the first word being "Oh, ...".

😈  🤐

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Are you you starting to go through your collections or just dabbling?

@aprilskies

One collection at a time...

The games have left the building.

So how do you feel? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitty45 wrote:

@just bee How about Optimistic!

@kitty45

It's a contender.  And since it's the only suggestion, it's in the lead.

(I was thinking Overdue!)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@kitty45 wrote:

HI Compactors

One thing we have to realize is that things spoil.  I haven't bought any shower gels in years & have been using one at a time.  Well I decided to put them all out to see how many I have left.  Well 3 of them turned.  So I'm using these expensive shower gels as handwashing soap.  

Another example of waste is that I have quite a bit of shoes, mostly Birkenstocks, Naya  & some other brands.  Well I 've been having so many  foot issues lately that  I can't even wear the Birkenstocks.  Some of them I rarely wore!  

I'm so determined not to repeat my mistakes, I finally found one Clarks that works, kinda, so I bought only one.  I refuse to buy multiples & end up with more unworn shoes.

@kitty45

Not just spoil, but things age.  Paper turns yellow, then brown.  Fabric ages.  If it was trendy once it will look even older when you pull it out after never using it.

Remember those ridiculous necklaces made of fishing line?  I paid almost fifty bucks for a CZ on a string and I never wore the thing.  What do you do with something like that?

Go fishing?

And elastic loses its, well, elasticity.  I bought four sheet sets at Costco eleven years ago before we moved from CostcoLand to save for future use because they were so good.  'Were' being the operative word.  They were a little too good, because the ones I was using lasted a really long time.  By the time I needed to pull out the new ones, the elastic on the fitted sheets was practically nonexistent after a couple of washings.  It's like having a top sheet on the mattress.  But I'm still using them.  Because they're good.

@geezerette

YES! Woman LOL

I have had many experiences with elastic that is "shot."  But this reminded me of something I can laugh about now.

Mushroom Shoes

Does anyone remember Mushrooms?  This photo was the closest thing to them I could find.  I owned a pair of "fake" Mushrooms -- they may have been Mervyn's version of the shoe -- and they were a simple white ballet-type shoe with a dark gray wedge.  Not too casual, not too dressy.

Never wore the things.

Anyway, one day I had a meeting and I thought I'd wear something other than pants.  I put on a longish linen blend jumper and excavated the shoes from the back of a closet.

I drove across town, got out of my car and by the time I'd crossed the hot asphalt parking lot to the hotel lobby I had the weirdest sensation that I had shrunk a couple inches.

I had.  The wedges on those shoes had completely dissolved when they hit the hot lot.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Hey!  Any suggestions for October's O-word?

@just bee

Does it have to be one word?  I can think of several things with the first word being "Oh, ...".

😈  🤐

@geezerette

Soooooooooo tempting.  But the moderators would be on it like flies on ...

Well, you know.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Are you you starting to go through your collections or just dabbling?

@aprilskies

One collection at a time...

The games have left the building.

So how do you feel? 

@aprilskies

I'm so grateful I didn't have a mouthful of tea when I read this.

Let me recline on the doctor's couch for a moment and consider my response.

Quick review of my time spent in the womb (not bad -- mom ate a lot of pizza), then fast forward through my childhood -- whoa, now there's a speed bump -- elementary school (kindergarten made me a misanthrope), my formative years, college, chicken pox, first jobs, relationships, nursing school ...

Well, it was difficult at first but I think I have developed the appropriate coping skills to deal with it.  Now I have to consider if I'll have those skills when I see the yard next week.

Better-half has hired someone to come out and raze my desert jungle.

Super Contributor

@just bee.  This is funny.  Reminds me of a pair of black shoes I was "saving".  I lived in Florida at that time & had no A/C, well one day I opened the box & the leather lining of the shoes was stuck to the box.  It looked like the shoes were melting. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

@just bee.  This is funny.  Reminds me of a pair of black shoes I was "saving".  I lived in Florida at that time & had no A/C, well one day I opened the box & the leather lining of the shoes was stuck to the box.  It looked like the shoes were melting. Smiley Very Happy

@kitty45

What's in the box___

Trusted Contributor

How is it the last day of September already?  Well, I didn't finish my daily yoga.  31 days are turning into 40 days of yoga.  I'm using the mini beauty blender to do my eyeshadow about half the time.  I found that I still enjoyed using brushes but on the days when I was really rushing, the BB was awesome.

I used up over $100 worth of products again this month.  About half of it was stuff I was just trying to finish and not necessary.  I wouldn't buy those things again.  

I decluttered another bag of clothes and one purse (that was a gift) this month.  That feeling of lightness when I declutter never gets old.

The panning community on YouTube has discovered manufactured dates for their beauty products and they are freaking out.  Many of them stocked up on stuff from the Dollar Tree or BIg Lots and are now seeing that those items are actually 10 years from the date they were manufactured.  I realized that buying makeup off of Hautelook meant that I was buying old stock too.  It was discounted for a reason.  Maybe it would be ok if I was using that product immediately after I bought it but in reality I was adding it to the stash to be used in a year or two.  The only way to stop the insanity is to stop the inflow.

October is going to be "outgoing" for me.  No incoming items.  It's the last quarter of the year and I want to end strong.  I think I can finish a handful of products before the end of the year if I keep to the one-in-one-out.