Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,646
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!


just bee wrote:

aprilskies wrote:

 

I always wanted to live in California when I was younger.  Never made it but for some reason always sounded appealing.  Did you not like it there?  ...or just time to move on?


@aprilskies

 

I was thinking the other day that I was probably fortunate to have grown up in Northern California.  I have fond memories of the pre-Silicon Valley days.  The orchards, the fresh fruit and vegetables.  The fog.  All those things you take for granted.

 

But I just didn't want to live where people are one paycheck from catastrophe.  I knew too many who lost their jobs, then lost their homes.  I didn't want a mortgage to be most of my salary.

 

It's a nice place to visit.


 

That is a shame.  I just read an article the other day that said you can make a decent salary in California but still be living paycheck to paycheck because of housing.  Just crazy.  

 

I checked out those leggings.  Fun and pretty.  I have to many as it is and I paid way more than those. Very reasonable prices. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,995
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!


aprilskies wrote:

just bee wrote:

aprilskies wrote:

 

I always wanted to live in California when I was younger.  Never made it but for some reason always sounded appealing.  Did you not like it there?  ...or just time to move on?


@aprilskies

 

I was thinking the other day that I was probably fortunate to have grown up in Northern California.  I have fond memories of the pre-Silicon Valley days.  The orchards, the fresh fruit and vegetables.  The fog.  All those things you take for granted.

 

But I just didn't want to live where people are one paycheck from catastrophe.  I knew too many who lost their jobs, then lost their homes.  I didn't want a mortgage to be most of my salary.

 

It's a nice place to visit.


 

That is a shame.  I just read an article the other day that said you can make a decent salary in California but still be living paycheck to paycheck because of housing.  Just crazy.  

 

I checked out those leggings.  Fun and pretty.  I have to many as it is and I paid way more than those. Very reasonable prices. 


@aprilskies

 

It's true.  We made the choice over twenty years ago: Stay in California and make more money but not be able to own a home anywhere near where we worked or move to New Mexico and make less but be able to buy a house.  New.  With a view.  And a huge yard we'd learn to despise.

 

There were other issues with California -- mostly political.  There was a particular issue that was being discussed and if this had become legislation, it would have been the last straw.  I decided to move before they could even write a bill.  Without revealing too much, there was talk about making a certain "meat product" available in grocery stores.  That's a cultural preference I can't live with.  'Nuf said.

 

As for the leggings, they were tempting.  But I won't be buying anything online for some time.  I discovered yesterday that my credit card has been compromised.  Can you say "______ off?"

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,646
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!


just bee wrote:

aprilskies wrote:

just bee wrote:

aprilskies wrote:

 

 


 

That is a shame.  I just read an article the other day that said you can make a decent salary in California but still be living paycheck to paycheck because of housing.  Just crazy.  

 

I checked out those leggings.  Fun and pretty.  I have to many as it is and I paid way more than those. Very reasonable prices. 


@aprilskies

 

It's true.  We made the choice over twenty years ago: Stay in California and make more money but not be able to own a home anywhere near where we worked or move to New Mexico and make less but be able to buy a house.  New.  With a view.  And a huge yard we'd learn to despise.

 

There were other issues with California -- mostly political.  There was a particular issue that was being discussed and if this had become legislation, it would have been the last straw.  I decided to move before they could even write a bill.  Without revealing too much, there was talk about making a certain "meat product" available in grocery stores.  That's a cultural preference I can't live with.  'Nuf said.

 

As for the leggings, they were tempting.  But I won't be buying anything online for some time.  I discovered yesterday that my credit card has been compromised.  Can you say "______ off?"


 

Yea, this stuff is really getting old and just frustrating. You can't do anything anymore.  I just got an email the other day that my Amazon account might of been compromised.  I dont think I clicked on anything in the email but went to my account. Everything seemed fine. But, really frustrating.

 

I think it is time to check the credit reports. I havent done this in awhile. It might be time to freeze them but I will wait and see what I am doing this year before doing that since I am not sure how long it takes to unfreeze. 

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,646
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!

My no buy/low buy is going really well this year so far. Only one product purchased and none so far in March.  It is early yet but there is nothing I havent been able to talk myself out of. This use up mode is interesting.  I have a serum that only has about a quarter of the product left. It feels this thing just multiples overnight. And a fragrance spritz by Skinn.  I use this thing everyday and it feels like it just keeps going, which wouldnt be bad if I loved it.  It is okay, makes the skin smell nice but doesnt linger and no whiffs through the day. I am so glad this wasnt a huge bottle.

 

While I dont want the heat to arrive anytime soon, I do just want nice cooler weather.  It is going to be cold again this weekend and it makes it tough to get out there and do things which I am ready to do.  I got started a couple of weekends ago and now have the itch.

 

I hope everyone is doing well.

 

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,995
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!


aprilskies wrote:

My no buy/low buy is going really well this year so far. Only one product purchased and none so far in March.  It is early yet but there is nothing I havent been able to talk myself out of. This use up mode is interesting.  I have a serum that only has about a quarter of the product left. It feels this thing just multiples overnight. And a fragrance spritz by Skinn.  I use this thing everyday and it feels like it just keeps going, which wouldnt be bad if I loved it.  It is okay, makes the skin smell nice but doesnt linger and no whiffs through the day. I am so glad this wasnt a huge bottle.

 

While I dont want the heat to arrive anytime soon, I do just want nice cooler weather.  It is going to be cold again this weekend and it makes it tough to get out there and do things which I am ready to do.  I got started a couple of weekends ago and now have the itch.

 

I hope everyone is doing well.

 

 

 


I need to remind myself not to complain about the weather.  I'm getting better at it and I was reminded again this week why I shouldn't gripe.  I told Better-half to check on our friend who lives outside of Kansas City because Missouri just had some terrible storms.  Tornadoes, rain, floods.

 

Our friend lost his house.  Has to be rebuilt from the ground up.

 

As much as New Mexico annoys me, I'm relieved we didn't move to Kansas City.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,646
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!

[ Edited ]

just bee wrote:

aprilskies wrote:

My no buy/low buy is going really well this year so far. Only one product purchased and none so far in March.  It is early yet but there is nothing I havent been able to talk myself out of. This use up mode is interesting.  I have a serum that only has about a quarter of the product left. It feels this thing just multiples overnight. And a fragrance spritz by Skinn.  I use this thing everyday and it feels like it just keeps going, which wouldnt be bad if I loved it.  It is okay, makes the skin smell nice but doesnt linger and no whiffs through the day. I am so glad this wasnt a huge bottle.

 

While I dont want the heat to arrive anytime soon, I do just want nice cooler weather.  It is going to be cold again this weekend and it makes it tough to get out there and do things which I am ready to do.  I got started a couple of weekends ago and now have the itch.

 

I hope everyone is doing well.

 

 

 


I need to remind myself not to complain about the weather.  I'm getting better at it and I was reminded again this week why I shouldn't gripe.  I told Better-half to check on our friend who lives outside of Kansas City because Missouri just had some terrible storms.  Tornadoes, rain, floods.

 

Our friend lost his house.  Has to be rebuilt from the ground up.

 

As much as New Mexico annoys me, I'm relieved we didn't move to Kansas City.


 

Yea, me too, Just Bee.  Compared to what other areas are getting clobbered with, I can put up with a bit of cold. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,995
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!


aprilskies wrote:

just bee wrote:

aprilskies wrote:

My no buy/low buy is going really well this year so far. Only one product purchased and none so far in March.  It is early yet but there is nothing I havent been able to talk myself out of. This use up mode is interesting.  I have a serum that only has about a quarter of the product left. It feels this thing just multiples overnight. And a fragrance spritz by Skinn.  I use this thing everyday and it feels like it just keeps going, which wouldnt be bad if I loved it.  It is okay, makes the skin smell nice but doesnt linger and no whiffs through the day. I am so glad this wasnt a huge bottle.

 

While I dont want the heat to arrive anytime soon, I do just want nice cooler weather.  It is going to be cold again this weekend and it makes it tough to get out there and do things which I am ready to do.  I got started a couple of weekends ago and now have the itch.

 

I hope everyone is doing well.

 

 

 


I need to remind myself not to complain about the weather.  I'm getting better at it and I was reminded again this week why I shouldn't gripe.  I told Better-half to check on our friend who lives outside of Kansas City because Missouri just had some terrible storms.  Tornadoes, rain, floods.

 

Our friend lost his house.  Has to be rebuilt from the ground up.

 

As much as New Mexico annoys me, I'm relieved we didn't move to Kansas City.


 

Yea, me too, Just Bee.  Compared to what other areas are getting clobbered with, I can put up with a bit of cold. 


And we've been complaining that it isn't cold here!  Had a mild winter and it's definitely spring.  It'll be in the 70s today.

 

Imagine complaining about that!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,995
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!

HEP update.

 

I finished my loaf of Food For Life 7 Sprouted Grains Cinnamon Raisin Bread this morning.

 

I'm going to try their Ezekiel 4:9 Cinnamon Raisin Sprouted Whole Grain Bread and decide if I prefer one over the other.

 

It's not cheap, but it doesn't taste like pencil sharpenings, either.  It's a... sturdy bread.  I think I'll continue to use it as a bagel substitute.

 

It's not as filling as the bagel so that has made me consume more fruit and drink more water at work.  That seems to be working for me.

 

Everyone still on the salad kick?

 

My wellness check for work is this week so it'll be interesting to see this year's numbers.  Not pleasant -- interesting.

 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,995
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!

Well!  That was... interesting.  I got up early and went to my wellness check for work and I now have this year's numbers.

 

I'm eating better and I'm more active -- and I weigh more than I did at the two previous checks.  I don't put a lot of stock in the scale so I don't weigh myself often.  I know when I'm gaining and losing.  On paper, I've gained.  But the jeans I'm wearing today can be pulled down over my hips without unzipping/unbuttoning. 

 

The biggest surprise/change was my number for triglycerides.  The number is almost half what it was last year: 57.  All I can figure is that it's the fish oil.  I was taking it, but I wasn't taking the recommended dose, so I doubled it to match the recommendation.  Triglycerides plummeted.

 

Overall cholesterol ticked down slightly, but HDL was up (good!) and LDL was a little lower.  Lost two inches on my waist.

 

Glucose was never an issue until last year when it jumped from 88 to 123.  Today it was 110.  Something I need to keep an eye on because of genetics.  The person charting my numbers said I can talk to my doctor about this at my annual checkup.  Uh, this is, for all intents and purposes, my checkup.  Like I said, I don't go to a doctor.  I normally keep track of my "wellness" through my local blood services when I donate (blood pressure, temperature, pulse, iron levels, total cholesterol).

 

I attribute the numbers -- which are better than the ones in 2016 and not quite as good as the ones in 2015 -- to this:

 

My job is killing me!  The rate is just slowing down a bit. Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,646
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!


just bee wrote:

Well!  That was... interesting.  I got up early and went to my wellness check for work and I now have this year's numbers.

 

I'm eating better and I'm more active -- and I weigh more than I did at the two previous checks.  I don't put a lot of stock in the scale so I don't weigh myself often.  I know when I'm gaining and losing.  On paper, I've gained.  But the jeans I'm wearing today can be pulled down over my hips without unzipping/unbuttoning. 

 

The biggest surprise/change was my number for triglycerides.  The number is almost half what it was last year: 57.  All I can figure is that it's the fish oil.  I was taking it, but I wasn't taking the recommended dose, so I doubled it to match the recommendation.  Triglycerides plummeted.

 

Overall cholesterol ticked down slightly, but HDL was up (good!) and LDL was a little lower.  Lost two inches on my waist.

 

Glucose was never an issue until last year when it jumped from 88 to 123.  Today it was 110.  Something I need to keep an eye on because of genetics.  The person charting my numbers said I can talk to my doctor about this at my annual checkup.  Uh, this is, for all intents and purposes, my checkup.  Like I said, I don't go to a doctor.  I normally keep track of my "wellness" through my local blood services when I donate (blood pressure, temperature, pulse, iron levels, total cholesterol).

 

I attribute the numbers -- which are better than the ones in 2016 and not quite as good as the ones in 2015 -- to this:

 

My job is killing me!  The rate is just slowing down a bit. Woman LOL


 

Those stinking jobs. Woman LOL  At least your numbers are going in the right direction.  2 inches off of your waist, I am dripping in envy right now.  I would love to lose 2 inches off my middle.  My HEP is not going so good but at least the last 2 days I have been reasonable.  This is still a work in progress for me.  However, one I need to get in order because I have been saying it far too long and nothing changes. I have become a stress eater.  I went shopping yesterday because it is difficult getting dressed for work and I came home with nothing.  I just couldnt bring myself to buy a larger size. My intention was to buy a couple of things to hold me over.  I am going to start wearing my dresses more because they are more forgiving, but I really dont like the fact of the tummy sticking out. LOL. 

 

I need to get my keaster moving. I know I dont do enough of that.  

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2016 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View