Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Judicious July!

@KonaKat wrote:

Back to School ads and Christmas in July? School begins the first week of August, so that time is rapidly approaching. CIJ? That originated in the Southern hemisphere which has its Winter in July, so I guess they dreamed it up as a way to have a white Christmas.

I finished up a Josie Maran face butter but will not replenish it. I think there is some validity to the research that says higher priced products are not necessarily better. I personally did not find it that much better than Olay.

I had an orthopedic appointment this morning and was out earlier than expected. I could have gone to the mall but I came staight home. Looking sometimes leads to buying when there is no need.

@KonaKat

And for some of us there's an obligation to leave the store with something.  It took a very long time for me to be able to go into a store and leave empty-handed.  I guess I always thought if I left without purchasing something, the clerks would assume I'd just shoplifted.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

HA! @just bee  How did you know I was going for a snack when I saw this?!  Oh wait--I guess that's most of the time 😳 .  

All great points in the article. I am guilty of eating when I'm not really hungry and also eating way past being satisfied.  

But I also have a very healthy appetite--I am hungry often.  The best thing I have found so far is to allow myself to only eat at scheduled times and to plan what I am going to eat.  As in I eat breakfast, a snack (Apple), lunch, a snack (usually lite popcorn), dinner, and that's it for the day.  That way, since I am hungry between meals, I don't have to wait more than a couple hours. I sound like preschooler 🙄😆.  But at least no more sitting down after work with a box of White Cheddar Cheese-it's!

@aprilskies How is the fasting going this weekend?

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

HA! @just bee  How did you know I was going for a snack when I saw this?!  Oh wait--I guess that's most of the time 😳 .  

All great points in the article. I am guilty of eating when I'm not really hungry and also eating way past being satisfied.  

But I also have a very healthy appetite--I am hungry often.  The best thing I have found so far is to allow myself to only eat at scheduled times and to plan what I am going to eat.  As in I eat breakfast, a snack (Apple), lunch, a snack (usually lite popcorn), dinner, and that's it for the day.  That way, since I am hungry between meals, I don't have to wait more than a couple hours. I sound like preschooler 🙄😆.  But at least no more sitting down after work with a box of White Cheddar Cheese-it's!

There is a doctor that told how to tell the difference between hunger and appetite. It was basically imagine your most despised veggie. If you are truly hungry and it was all that was available, then you might eat it. If it is appetite then you can easily pass and wait.

I lost 4 pounds last week. I always make sure I have a protein-based breakfast as protein stays with me longer. My in between meal snacks are things like low fat greek yogurt or other protein. I try to get the most protein possible for the number of calories in the items. I eat strawberries and blueberries in half cut servings at least 3 times a week as they are heart healthy.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer

We have @aprilskies to thank for the article.  It's funny how we still struggle with feeding ourselves.  Everyone complains at work because there's so much food brought in.  This is an example of stress-eating, for sure.  I don't touch any of it.  I bring my 2 liters of water and food items with me and really stick to that.  Totally in control.

At home, not so much.  Better-half is in charge of shopping and food prep and he makes sure we eat healthy.  But there are times when he will bring home something questionable.  I learned from my recent mistake so when he asked yesterday if he could pick up some white cheddar popcorn (what is it with white cheddar, anyway?) I said no.

But here's the dirty secret.  He made chimichurri chicken sandwiches this week (chicken thighs marinated in chimichurri sauce served with bacon, cheese, romaine and tomato on a tasty bun).  These are snacky.  But he brought home a FIVE POUND tub of potato salad from Costco.  As it turns out, he had one serving and I ended up eating almost the entire tub by myself.  Do I like potato salad that much?  No, not really.  But it was there, so I ate it.

If it hadn't been there I probably would have had green salad instead.  No one broke into the house and planted five pounds of potato salad in my refrigerator.  And no one held a gun to my head and forced me to eat it.

We control what comes into the house.  Or at least we can.  What works best is going shopping with a specific plan and a list and sticking to it.  Shopping for food is no different than shopping for clothes or makeup.  Our emotional state drives our purchases.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

There is a doctor that told how to tell the difference between hunger and appetite. It was basically imagine your most despised veggie. If you are truly hungry and it was all that was available, then you might eat it. If it is appetite then you can easily pass and wait.

I lost 4 pounds last week. I always make sure I have a protein-based breakfast as protein stays with me longer. My in between meal snacks are things like low fat greek yogurt or other protein. I try to get the most protein possible for the number of calories in the items. I eat strawberries and blueberries in half cut servings at least 3 times a week as they are heart healthy.

@KonaKat

That's hard because I can't think of a despised veggie.  But I get what you're saying and it makes sense.

It sounds like you're doing something right.  Berries are a great choice.  But finding a quality yogurt is a challenge.  Really have to read the labels and watch out for all the ____ they put into yogurt.  It's shocking.  I did a research project on yogurt several years ago and the problem's even worse now.

Yogurt is just milk gone bad.  Anything other than milk and bacteria should be avoided.  Nancy's whole milk yogurt keeps it simple:

Ingredients: Organic whole milk, organic nonfat milk powder, L. acidophilus LA-5®, S. thermophilus, L. bulgaricus, L. casei, L. rhamnosus, B. bifidum cultures.

Nancy's

Honored Contributor

Independence Day

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee You made me go look at my yogurt!  Chobani Non-fat Greek is safe. Milk and cultures only!

edited for hilarious typo

Respected Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer, Intermittent fasting is actually going pretty well. Today is my sixth day, I think. I have stayed within my time frames, 16 hours fasting and 8 hours eating.  However, it is tough adjusting for me so I am allowing the first week to be a test week and learning where my bad points are.  It is difficult in the morning not having breakfast but I think it is because I am eating dinner and my snack to early and find myself hungry in the morning. But I am also use to having something.  I will need to adjust my dinner time to later.  I do find I miss my snacking at night but I have been able to push through - barely.  But happy in the morning when I wake up and didn't snack the night through. I am like you, a snacker. Habits are hard to change.  However, having the eating time frames really help me control it a bit otherwise I would of made every excuse to snack. 

You can have black coffee or tea in fasting hours but this is the only thing I am not following.  I like my coffee and with light cream so I am cheating a bit there and I am okay with that. We will see how it goes. 

No real weight loss to speak of yet but I think this is a lifestyle I can stick with.  I have tried it before and didn't stick with it but I think I am ready now. But time will tell. I am giving my body a chance to catch up with the change and now that the holiday weekend is over, I can eat a bit healthier too. I have to remember not to go crazy in the eight hours either.  I will tell you this, I am ready for the weight to come off.  I just don't feel good or do well with the extra weight.  

@just bee, thanks for converting the article.  I only have so much patience on the iPad. 

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I'm still plugging along with my arm toning exercises.  Parts of my arms are firmer, but not the "bat wings", which are the areas I am most self-conscious about.  Gah, why so hard???  I just have to keep lifting those dumbbells.  I also need to work on legs.  Heck, the whole body needs work, but one part at a time.  Sometimes I walk around the house doing lunges.  I look ridiculous but at least it's something.

@aprilskies I had the Balm's Nude Tude palette at one point too.  I decluttered it too.  The pans seem so tiny but I just didn't prefer it over other palettes.  RIght now I'm using a combination of 3 palettes.  SInce I finished the lighest shade in my pan-that-palette, I'm using a similar shade from an Inglot trio.  Then the transition shade comes from my PTP and the lid shade from a bareMinerals duo.  If I want something more dramatic, I pull in another palette which has a darker shade.  It's kinda inconvenient but I'm getting to rotate in a bunch of products.  It bugs me that I can't put together a look with one palette but I know that is what has gotten me into trouble in the past...the search for the perfect palette.  I kept buying similar neutral palettes hoping it would be THE ONE.  Of course there is no such thing.  @aprilskies don't feel bad, you are making progress!

I better get ready for the beach.  Hope you all have a great weekend!

Ugh, the arms, the arms!!  They are next on the attack list. When did those bat wings rear their ugly head.  I have started walking and when I get that down a bit I am going to bring light weights with me and do some toning. Actually I may just bring them along to the track today.  I can put them down when I need to. It is time to get in shape. 

I would say that is what keeps me buying palettes too - the search for the perfect one, besides all the pretty colors.  If I buy any mu this year it will be single shadows of the colors I want instead of a palette.  However, I need to start using what I have.  @Oshare-girl, at least you are rotating a lot of your stuff in and getting some use of things. 

Yesterday I almost tossed a lot of my BE shadows.  But then not sure what made me think of it and I did a finger swatch test instead of the brush and boy were some of them pretty.  Will I use them I don't know but back in my box they went. I did get rid of two though,  it is something I guess.  I probably should just pull the plug on them.  I have had them for sooooooo long and barely touched them. Not sure what makes me think I will use them now but I put some in my mu basket.  So glad my BE collecting days are behind me.  Too many little pots. 

I hope everyone had a nice holiday.  It was great having off for a few days.  I can get use to that.  Back to the grind tomorrow. 

Honored Contributor

@Jeannie29 wrote:

@just bee You made me go look at my yogurt!  Chobani Non-fat Geek is safe. Milk and cultures only!

@Jeannie29

I know it's a typo and I know it's supposed to be Greek, but it gave me a much-needed giggle this morning.  Thanks! Woman LOL