Esteemed Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Judicious July!

I've spent some time going through drawers and discovering what is hidden in the back. Some of the opened items are long past safe use date so they have found a new home in the trash. I am not buying any magical potion until I have used up the ones I have. I also entered the day's food on My Fitness Pal to make sure all the macros will meet what I had set as my goals. I lost 4 pounds last week but don't expect that this week.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Super Contributor

Hi Compactors

I haven't been on here in a while.  I hope everyone is ok.  I'm still trying to get rid of stuff, I had a few setbacks but I think I'm going to be ok.  I know I'm going to be ok because I've been considering either selling or donating my dolls.  I've checked ebay but I don't know if it's worth the hassle. They're mostly Barbies from the late 80's & early 90's.  I'm also considering selling my old broken down house.  I'm tired of repairs.  It's paid for but it's a very depressing place. 

I'm a day late by Happy 4th of July

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

I've spent some time going through drawers and discovering what is hidden in the back. Some of the opened items are long past safe use date so they have found a new home in the trash. I am not buying any magical potion until I have used up the ones I have. I also entered the day's food on My Fitness Pal to make sure all the macros will meet what I had set as my goals. I lost 4 pounds last week but don't expect that this week.

@KonaKat

Precisely.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

Hi Compactors

I haven't been on here in a while.  I hope everyone is ok.  I'm still trying to get rid of stuff, I had a few setbacks but I think I'm going to be ok.  I know I'm going to be ok because I've been considering either selling or donating my dolls.  I've checked ebay but I don't know if it's worth the hassle. They're mostly Barbies from the late 80's & early 90's.  I'm also considering selling my old broken down house.  I'm tired of repairs.  It's paid for but it's a very depressing place. 

I'm a day late by Happy 4th of July

@kitty45

I hear ya.  I'm moving closer to selling off jewelry I never wear.  My house, too, is paid for and I get depressed when I think about selling it.

The house is still a youngster -- construction was completed in 1995.  But maintenance and the yard is a challenge.  My sister has an old house -- over 100 years old if I'm not mistaken -- and she and her husband are putting a lot of work into it.  It's exhausting and expensive but they've discovered how good the home's "bones" really are.  I'm skeptical about a lot of new construction out there.  Maybe the newer homes are more efficient, but the quality is... well, I guess it depends on where you live.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

The TSV may be a good deal for some but look at what you currently have, regardless of brand. Do you really need it?

Houses can become money pits. Some people invest in homes for lifetime use but fail to recognize that the home may not be suitable if mobility issues arise. That beautiful huge lawn can become expensive if someone has to be hired to maintain it weekly.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KonaKat wrote:

The TSV may be a good deal for some but look at what you currently have, regardless of brand. Do you really need it?

Houses can become money pits. Some people invest in homes for lifetime use but fail to recognize that the home may not be suitable if mobility issues arise. That beautiful huge lawn can become expensive if someone has to be hired to maintain it weekly.

@KonaKat

The same thing can be said about autodelivery.  I fell into that trap -- thought I was saving money by buying discounted products in a bundle.  I just couldn't use them quickly enough and couldn't push back on delivery anymore.  The end result was wasted product and wasted money.  And wasted time and energy.

The one smart thing I did when I bought the house was choosing a one-story home.  Always fond of stairs and believed a house wasn't a home without them.  But I'm realistic about certain things -- like my knees and carrying a hundred-pound geriatric dog up and down stairs.

But I look at all the windows in my house.  Oh, there are plenty.  Large ones.  Weird shapes, too.  The day will come when I'll have to replace them all.  I'm hoping I'll be dead before that happens.

Something that never occurred to me when I was so busy signing that stack of paperwork.

Esteemed Contributor

Autodelivery: At one time, I would get special collections on AD because I used most of them and did not include a multitude of items used in hopes you would break over and buy them individually when the AD finished.

There was one I got in which the AD lasted one year. It included an item I really liked and if bought apart from the kit was more expensive than the kit.  I know many did the same as I did....bought the kit because the main product in same size as sold separately was cheaper.  Now, none of the other things in the kit tempted me to buy them separately once the AD ended but it enabled me to buy the main product at a cheaper price. I used to sell the other items on eBay but that got old.

I never used the AD products up at the rate at which they shipped so I was delaying or canceling a shipment. It got to be a pain so I haven't done AD for a very long time.

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

Autodelivery: At one time, I would get special collections on AD because I used most of them and did not include a multitude of items used in hopes you would break over and buy them individually when the AD finished.

There was one I got in which the AD lasted one year. It included an item I really liked and if bought apart from the kit was more expensive than the kit.  I know many did the same as I did....bought the kit because the main product in same size as sold separately was cheaper.  Now, none of the other things in the kit tempted me to buy them separately once the AD ended but it enabled me to buy the main product at a cheaper price. I used to sell the other items on eBay but that got old.

I never used the AD products up at the rate at which they shipped so I was delaying or canceling a shipment. It got to be a pain so I haven't done AD for a very long time.

@KonaKat

Exactly.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@KonaKat wrote:

@KonaKat

Exactly.

My friend & I used to joke that people must be bathing in the stuff on AD cause no one can use things up that quickly.  It used to take me 2 years to use up a full size bareminerals powder foundation.  But yet they would sell it on AD every 3 months.  And those super sized bottles of Purity Made Simple used to last a whole year, but I bought the AD.  Needless to say I would cancel shipments all year.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies I had the Balm's Nude Tude palette at one point too.  I decluttered it too.  The pans seem so tiny but I just didn't prefer it over other palettes.  RIght now I'm using a combination of 3 palettes.  SInce I finished the lighest shade in my pan-that-palette, I'm using a similar shade from an Inglot trio.  Then the transition shade comes from my PTP and the lid shade from a bareMinerals duo.  If I want something more dramatic, I pull in another palette which has a darker shade.  It's kinda inconvenient but I'm getting to rotate in a bunch of products.  It bugs me that I can't put together a look with one palette but I know that is what has gotten me into trouble in the past...the search for the perfect palette.  I kept buying similar neutral palettes hoping it would be THE ONE.  Of course there is no such thing.  @aprilskies don't feel bad, you are making progress!

I better get ready for the beach.  Hope you all have a great weekend!

Ugh, the arms, the arms!!  They are next on the attack list. When did those bat wings rear their ugly head.  I have started walking and when I get that down a bit I am going to bring light weights with me and do some toning. Actually I may just bring them along to the track today.  I can put them down when I need to. It is time to get in shape. 

I would say that is what keeps me buying palettes too - the search for the perfect one, besides all the pretty colors.  If I buy any mu this year it will be single shadows of the colors I want instead of a palette.  However, I need to start using what I have.  @Oshare-girl, at least you are rotating a lot of your stuff in and getting some use of things. 

Yesterday I almost tossed a lot of my BE shadows.  But then not sure what made me think of it and I did a finger swatch test instead of the brush and boy were some of them pretty.  Will I use them I don't know but back in my box they went. I did get rid of two though,  it is something I guess.  I probably should just pull the plug on them.  I have had them for sooooooo long and barely touched them. Not sure what makes me think I will use them now but I put some in my mu basket.  So glad my BE collecting days are behind me.  Too many little pots. 

I hope everyone had a nice holiday.  It was great having off for a few days.  I can get use to that.  Back to the grind tomorrow. 

@aprilskiesProbably about 7 years ago I finally got rid of my BE loose shadows.  I had collected so many from kits but I never used them.  They were just too messy for me.  I put them all in a box and gave it to a friend in one crack.  And I haven't missed them since.  It actually was a relief to get rid of them.  I also used to have a ton of mini lipglosses from Smashbox, back in the day when a TSV used to cost less than $30.  I got a kit of mini lipglosses on AD and I still couldn't use them up fast enough.

There are certain brands that I just love to buy from.  UD being one of them.  But I think my collecting days are over.  I got rid of all my Naked palettes and have just the 6-pan customizable palette.  I'm finding that 6 shades are more than enough.  In fact, there are still a couple shades that I rarely use out of the 6.  BTW, this is my 2017 pan-that-palette and I know that I'm not going to be able to finish it.  I'll probably finish one more shade completely by the end of the year, which will be a grand total of 2 shades finished.  I was too ambitious again.  Next year I think I will pan one of my mini palettes from Tarte.  This is ridiculous planning.  The year is just half way done and I'm already thinking about what I will pan next year.