Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Joyful June!

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

I'm not backing away from my comments about people who abuse the system by reporting they have a condition they don't have.

@just bee  It's not even relevant, bee.  But you clearly don't care about that.

I felt like I was posting with a friend here, but I don't feel that way anymore, so I'm done.

@mistriTsquirrel

I feel like you want me to say that people who have a mental illness do not behave badly.  In reviewing my previous statements, I sense a certain dishonesty.  I mentioned those who feign illness and behave badly but I think I avoided saying anything about those who have legitimate diagnoses behaving badly.  Maybe I was trying to spare your feelings.

Clearly, that wasn't the outcome, so all I can do is offer an honest assessment.  There are patients who have legitimate psychiatric diagnoses who behave badly.  Very badly in some cases.

I regret that this became an issue and I regret your decision to leave this thread.  I hope you'll reconsider.

You're always welcome here, Squirrel.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

I'm not backing away from my comments about people who abuse the system by reporting they have a condition they don't have.

I felt like I was posting with a friend here, but I don't feel that way anymore, so I'm done.

@mistriTsquirrel

I feel like you want me to say that people who have a mental illness do not behave badly.  In reviewing my previous statements, I sense a certain dishonesty.  I mentioned those who feign illness and behave badly but I think I avoided saying anything about those who have legitimate diagnoses behaving badly.  Maybe I was trying to spare your feelings.

Clearly, that wasn't the outcome, so all I can do is offer an honest assessment.  There are patients who have legitimate psychiatric diagnoses who behave badly.  Very badly in some cases.

I regret that this became an issue and I regret your decision to leave this thread.  I hope you'll reconsider.

@just bee  I'm not sure if this is right, but I've gathered from your posts that you don't generally have a high opinion of your patients.

Of course people with mental illness can behave badly.  However, I don't think mentally ill people in general are more likely to engage in the behavior I was talking about, so a statement that appeared to posit a correlation between the two things bothered me.  At first I assumed it was just a remark made casually that didn't mean much, but as the conversation went on I wondered if you were being honest about your feelings towards the mentally ill.

I don't really know what to think at this point.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that people aren't going to want to keep coming to this thread if we keep going back and forth like this.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Um.....

I finished a body serum.  Not my favorite form of moisturizer.  I still prefer lotions for my body so I did order some Korres ones from Hautelook.  

My June has been lacking in fun so I finally planned a family staycation for July.  It's the one free weekend we have before school starts again.  DH could really use a vacation too.  I am so excited for that!  Does anyone else have fun plans coming up?

My worm bin is slowly progressing.  It's not quite as easy as people make it seem.  I haven't gotten into the right feeding schedule between us humans and the worms yet.  But I am determined to make it work.  I love that I can toss in paper products like the toilet paper and paper towel cardboard rolls in too.

So...hope to hear from everyone.

Before school starts? When does your school year begin?

What?? How hard can a worm bin be?? LMBO!!!  You would think it is easy but I guess nothing is as easy as it sounds until you get started.  I wish I had a place to do this, and experiment with you, and a yard so I can garden a little bit.  But that will have to wait.

I swore I would not buy any more hair products but I just did.  My hair has been so dry and nothing seems to help.  But, I guess it doesnt help when I jump from one product to another and not really give any one a real shot. I just hate dry hair.  It wasnt expensive at least and I will try and not get any more. As rnmom has said, I still have products I havent even tried yet in my collection so maybe I need to focus on that. The majority are styling aids and others I have tried something out of the product line I didnt like and have since decluttered but I need to start using the rest of them or get rid of them.

I can see how a collection can get out of hand quick. There is only so much you can use at once.

My fun has not been going well. At one point I was starting to research all things "floating."  I did buy a tube but I am so glad I didnt find a kayak that I was looking for.  I dont even know if I am going to make it out there once. However, I am not giving up. I am going to plan some time off and get out there.

I am so glad it is Friday. TGIF!!!!

Our school year starts at the beginning of August and ends at the end of May.  The kids have been out for about a month already.  I know the mainland just finished their school year.  Our state is trying to move the school year later in the year so that they aren't in session during the hottest time of year.  Not all the classrooms are air conditioned yet and it gets pretty hot.  I remember starting school around Labor Day but I guess over time, that start date has migrated.

I'm almost ready to give up on this worm bin but I keep wondering the same thing as you, "How hard can a worm bin be?", LOL.  When my mom, the worm expert, stops by, she always does something to the bin.  Her advice differs than the stuff I'm reading.  Maybe I better start listening to her since the reading material isn't really working. @just bee that must have been one huge worm!  The ironic thing is that these worms can't survive out in the wild.  They can only live in the bin so if I were to call the whole thing off, I'd be murdering a whole community of worms.  So I must press on.  

Hair is the one area that I am super low maintenance in.  Except I get regular cuts cause my tenant also cuts my hair.  She does a really good job and I just wash and wear.  I decided to change my cut and try out the "lob" (I explained to DH that means a long bob).  Unfortunately, the lob requires styling.  I have no styling products and no patience to flat iron or curl it everyday.  So I'm going back to the old style.  I don't dare get started on trying to find styling products.  I can just see the stash that would cause.  @aprilskiesI totally understand how you feel about dry hair.  My hair along with the rest of my body is changing and drying out.  It's kinda demoralizing.  I feel like there's nothing I can do.

Hahaha, floating!  I love it!  Sounds like lots of fun.  I'm not big on water activiites but I enjoy just floating.  It's a shame that I feel like that about water, living in Hawaii...all that wasted beach.  Wish you could use my share of beach time.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I'm trying to be more disciplined when I buy new things.  Well, besides NOT buying new things.  If I buy something that is a completely new-to-me product, then I will try it right away instead of saving it.  That way, if I don't like it, I can return it right away.  I also suspect that the products I bought then saved are going bad and my skin is reacting to them.  Had I used them right away, it would have been fresh and perfectly safe.  

Yes, I still have some older products and it is up in the air if I will use them or not.  I threw some out because they turned but I still have some older serums. I suspect they are still good, within 3 years, but by the time I get to them they will be much older. oy.   I actually started using my new ones because I am at the point of refusing to let them age too much. 

I am using things one by one and it feels good. Now it is at a snails pace but being consistent with some things is making a difference. So, through donating, decluttering and using up, I am starting to see some space and I like the feeling.

This year with my using up goal, it is made me realize I dont want a stock pile of skincare any longer and I will try my darnest not to get here again. It is tough though when you are trying to solve skin issues and such but....I dont like using older products on my face even though in reality they may still be fine. It is a mental thing for me. That is why last time I went through this, I tossed and tossed. How much can you possibly use at once.   

Ditto to all that.  I'm really not keen on using older products on my face so I've been using those on my legs.  Any of my older oils or serums are being mixed in with my body lotion.  It goes much faster too because there's so much more surface area on my legs vs my face.Woman Surprised

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I understand the frustration with dry hair.  I'm still happy with my $5 Suave investment.  Best five bucks I've spent in a long time.  And it's probably saved me a bundle because I would have gone for another unfortunate cut.

I would really like to take a road trip north through Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.  Won't happen during the summer but I'm hoping it happens eventually.  I've planned some time off in October.  Maybe we can get to Northern Arizona or, at least, the Bisti Badlands in New Mexico.

Bisti

Bisti

It was once a swamp, inhabited by dinosaurs.

I think I see a dinosaur in there! Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

@mistriTsquirrel

@just bee  I'm not sure if this is right, but I've gathered from your posts that you don't generally have a high opinion of your patients.

Of course people with mental illness can behave badly.  However, I don't think mentally ill people in general are more likely to engage in the behavior I was talking about, so a statement that appeared to posit a correlation between the two things bothered me.  At first I assumed it was just a remark made casually that didn't mean much, but as the conversation went on I wondered if you were being honest about your feelings towards the mentally ill.

I don't really know what to think at this point.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that people aren't going to want to keep coming to this thread if we keep going back and forth like this.

@mistriTsquirrel

I figured you'd get around to a statement like that eventually.  I chose to work with these patients for a reason.  I was surprised that I was the only student in my psych rotation who didn't hate it.  How could you hate it?  It was the first time in nursing school that we were able to listen to what our patients were saying instead of telling them to be quiet so we could listen to their organs.  I appreciated hearing their stories -- I still do.  But some of the stories are horrific and that does take its toll on providers.  Some cope by becoming less compassionate, some even become cold.  I have found my own way of coping.  It's something I never thought I'd ever do, but if I didn't I couldn't go to work every day.  I have to compartmentalize.  I have no choice.  I don't want to become the nurse who refuses to take a patient because she doesn't like something about him.  So, when a patient comes in who has a history of torturing animals, I put that nugget of information into a little box in my brain and lock the box.

You originally made a comment about rude/bad/inconsiderate/Troglodyte behavior at Walmart.  I see that kind of behavior every day and it's not confined to Walmart.  You attributed it to poor upbringing, lack of adequate supervision or bad manners.  Yes, sometimes I feel that part of our population was raised by wolverines and as a result they do not play well with others.  Starts out with poking fingers in packages at Walmart, then littering, then more advanced vandalism, then road rage, then... well, if it isn't nipped in the bud early it just gets to the point where we label a person antisocial or sociopath.  And that's why I ranted about parents taking on the responsibility of parenting instead of expecting teachers and healthcare providers to fix their problems.

I could easily pick apart your posts and find things in there that are offensive or hurtful but, like I said, I've learned to compartmentalize.  I can put a remark in a box in my brain and focus on the rest: The smart, creative and funny parts of you.

I hope that we can put this whole exchange in a box and bury it in the middle of the desert and go on.  I'd do it.  Would you?

Buried

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee

I typed out a response, but I don't see any point in posting it.  

Just forget I was here.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Trusted Contributor

While I don't post here often, I appreciate the inspiration I get from this thread.  Like @aprilskies i am an all or nothing person, so when I discover something new to me, I have to try/buy it all 😕.  Some examples other than beauty lines have been scrapbooking/cardmaking supplies and Premiere (sp?) Jewelry.  This thread encourages me to think long and hard about what I actually need and will use before buying.  However, the "I have to buy everything" urge is still there.  Why do I spend so much time thinking about buying?!

Unfortunately the same goes for food.  I simply have an addictive personality. I'm not sure how to retrain my brain.  Good thing I never tired drugs 😳.  Last week was a pretty good eating week, but I fell off the wagon today.  It all started with the snacks today at the first lularoe (sp?) party I went to today.  I did okay only the shopping part as I only bought two skirts I'm pretty sure I will wear, but darn, the bad for you food was good!

i hope everyone has a good and mindful week! 😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

While I don't post here often, I appreciate the inspiration I get from this thread.  Like @aprilskies i am an all or nothing person, so when I discover something new to me, I have to try/buy it all 😕.  Some examples other than beauty lines have been scrapbooking/cardmaking supplies and Premiere (sp?) Jewelry.  This thread encourages me to think long and hard about what I actually need and will use before buying.  However, the "I have to buy everything" urge is still there.  Why do I spend so much time thinking about buying?!

Unfortunately the same goes for food.  I simply have an addictive personality. I'm not sure how to retrain my brain.  Good thing I never tired drugs 😳.  Last week was a pretty good eating week, but I fell off the wagon today.  It all started with the snacks today at the first lularoe (sp?) party I went to today.  I did okay only the shopping part as I only bought two skirts I'm pretty sure I will wear, but darn, the bad for you food was good!

i hope everyone has a good and mindful week! 😊

@BExplorer

I'd mentioned a couple weeks ago that Better-half came home with cheese-flavored snacks.  He never eats this stuff, but the other night he ate five out of one of the bags.  They came right back up!  Talk about an odd reaction.

I was afraid that once I'd sampled more of the white stuff (Smartfood white cheddar cheese popcorn) I'd be right back on it.  I mean, it's easy to hide an addiction like this.  No orange fingers to raise suspicions.

But I'm not so sure now.  It wasn't that satisfying.  The Cheetos weren't, either.  I'm thinking that if I'd cut up some cheese and put that on some good quality crackers I would have been happier.

But I didn't take five minutes to have that conversation with myself and I didn't open the fridge to see my options.

So next time I want something crunchy and salty, I need to take a moment to consider other ways to satisfy the urge.  Dill pickle?

It's the impulsivity that gets us every time.

Honored Contributor

June is winding down and soon July will be here.  We have two suggestions: Jazzy and Judicious.

Which way do we want July to go?