Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- February!

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation. This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

Hep Cats

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

February is here.  January was a success with no beauty purchases.  Looking forward to this month. 

This month as an add on, I will eat through my kitchen.  That's another area I need to focus on.  I have been doing much better at leaving stuff at the grocery store.  Phew, is that junk food tempting.  Like a flashing neon light, buy me, buy me, I am so good, buy me.  But, so far, so good.  

I have been trying to declutter my kitchen.  I am having problems letting go of gadgets.  Some gadgets I haven't even used, why am I having mental blocks.  I just love gadgets. ....or is it just the fantasy of all the dinner parties I thought I was going to throw. LMBO!!!   ...do I really need two crockpots!!!

Trusted Contributor

As I sit here eating my "lightly salted" Fritos...I'm still in for HEP.  I know it's hard to tell.  The bag has been hanging around for weeks now and I just want it gone.  Does anyone else do that?  Eat the food to get rid of it?  We are eating more fish, 2-3 times a week now.  I'm thinking of fasting beef when Lent arrives.  I should fast sugar, though.

I made it through January without any makeup purchases.  I also boxed up everything that is not in my seasonal capsule and put it away.  Partly to keep my daughter from playing with it and mostly to force me to stick to the seasonal capsule.  I finished a lipstick before the season is over, yippee!  So I was able to start on a new one sooner.  That was a nice treat.  I decluttered a few products that were making me itch and a cream highlighter that dried out way before its time.

February is going to be harder for me to not buy anything.  The marketing for Valentine's Day is pretty intense.  I will have to remind myself that I have product X in a similar color and no matter what I use, I end up looking the same everyday.  So I don't need to add anything to my collection.

I'm having good skin days.  I think it's because I'm more diligent with my skincare and I'm using less products (skincare and makeup).  I was using more than I needed to because I wanted to whittle down the stash.  But as I'm using up more and have less, I'm getting to that point where I'm using only what I need.

It's also a good thing I'm not buying anything because our oven, dishwasher (it's still broken and I'm still hand-washing) and now the disposal all need to be fixed.  

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

February is here.  January was a success with no beauty purchases.  Looking forward to this month. 

This month as an add on, I will eat through my kitchen.  That's another area I need to focus on.  I have been doing much better at leaving stuff at the grocery store.  Phew, is that junk food tempting.  Like a flashing neon light, buy me, buy me, I am so good, buy me.  But, so far, so good.  

I have been trying to declutter my kitchen.  I am having problems letting go of gadgets.  Some gadgets I haven't even used, why am I having mental blocks.  I just love gadgets. ....or is it just the fantasy of all the dinner parties I thought I was going to throw. LMBO!!!   ...do I really need two crockpots!!!

January had me stocking up.  First it was toothpaste (three tubes), then it was electric toothbrush brushheads, and then it was philosophy spritzes, and then it was Paula's Choice facial cleanser and hair conditioner.  It feels like a lot, but everything was on sale and this restocking will keep me from browsing for months.  Everything was a necessity except one thing: I treated myself to a falling in love spritz.  On sale.

No big deal, but right after I bought it I wished for another sale.  And there it was: A flash sale -- just a few hours and 40% off.  I ordered more spritz.  (Yes, I know I complained bitterly that the scent was fleeting, but while it's around, I really like it.  Pure grace for public consumption, falling in love for when I'm sniffing myself in front of the TV/computer.)

And I had my hair chopped.  I'm ready for 2017.

But this means one thing: February will be...

SPAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRTAN!!!

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

As I sit here eating my "lightly salted" Fritos...I'm still in for HEP.  I know it's hard to tell.  The bag has been hanging around for weeks now and I just want it gone.  Does anyone else do that?  Eat the food to get rid of it?  We are eating more fish, 2-3 times a week now.  I'm thinking of fasting beef when Lent arrives.  I should fast sugar, though.

I made it through January without any makeup purchases.  I also boxed up everything that is not in my seasonal capsule and put it away.  Partly to keep my daughter from playing with it and mostly to force me to stick to the seasonal capsule.  I finished a lipstick before the season is over, yippee!  So I was able to start on a new one sooner.  That was a nice treat.  I decluttered a few products that were making me itch and a cream highlighter that dried out way before its time.

February is going to be harder for me to not buy anything.  The marketing for Valentine's Day is pretty intense.  I will have to remind myself that I have product X in a similar color and no matter what I use, I end up looking the same everyday.  So I don't need to add anything to my collection.

I'm having good skin days.  I think it's because I'm more diligent with my skincare and I'm using less products (skincare and makeup).  I was using more than I needed to because I wanted to whittle down the stash.  But as I'm using up more and have less, I'm getting to that point where I'm using only what I need.

It's also a good thing I'm not buying anything because our oven, dishwasher (it's still broken and I'm still hand-washing) and now the disposal all need to be fixed.  

Oven, dishwasher and disposal.  It always happens in threes.  We still haven't replaced our dishwasher and I'm sort of getting used to the "mindful" dishwashing.  It's retro.  It's old school.  It's probably drying out my hands more than I'd like to admit, but that warm water and the scent of dishwashing liquid is relaxing.  My dishes and glasses actually look better.  They look... clean.  Something very satisfying about scrubbing tea stains out of my mugs.

I haven't allowed white cheddar popcorn in the house in weeks.  Withdrawal was challenging at first, but I think I've turned the corner.  I've also given up almond milk.  We're eating more salads, more fruit and more fish.  I've had salmon three days in a row.  I had some of the most amazing tangelos.  Bought a big bag at Costco and they were killer.  I've been eating a heck of a lot of citrus and suspect I'm decimating the enamel on my teeth.  But I'm surrounded by people who are hacking all over me and so far, so good.

Just have to say that it's time to put on blinders for Valentine's Day.  Everything will be tempting, whether it's makeup or chocolate.  Heart-shaped trinkets will catch your eye -- don't look at them.

Remember: It's a short month!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:

YES, I thought I was the only one!  It's like I'm the self appointed garbage disposal for my house.  I thinks it's due to the clean your plate syndrome forced upon me growing up.  I buy junk food for my kids (I know...) and they don't eat it quickly enough or don't finish it, so I think I have to do the job.  😳🐽🐷. Madness.  

ETA:  Just wanted to clarify the pig faces are towards myself. 😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

My beauty products , shampoos, etc are still bothering me.     I just can't go through them fast enough to feel success.

My pantry is stocked and I'm trying to use up as much as I can before restocking.  That's going slowly also.  Good thing I am staying away from the drugstores and grocery stores as much as possible.  

Contributor

January was a good compacting month for me! Organized the junk drawer, got rid of some purses, lotions, cups, clothing, 2 king comforter sets, old pens, catalogs, many belts I haven't worn in years, empty boxes...why did I save them? I hope I don't lose my momentum in February or jinx myself by bragging. It feels good to get rid of some stuff! I am so ready to get rid of things I'm not using. I plan on calling the flower shop before Valentine's Day to see if they can use some of my vases. I have a sweet husband that likes to give me flowers. I also tossed a lot from my bathroom .
Ladies keep on compacting!
Respected Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

YES, I thought I was the only one!  It's like I'm the self appointed garbage disposal for my house.  I thinks it's due to the clean your plate syndrome forced upon me growing up.  I buy junk food for my kids (I know...) and they don't eat it quickly enough or don't finish it, so I think I have to do the job.  😳🐽🐷. Madness.  

ETA:  Just wanted to clarify the pig faces are towards myself. 😊

Oh yes, you all are not alone.  That is one of the main reason I am trying not to keep a whole lot in the house.  My reasons are to hurry and finish it up so than I can cut back and only to find my shelves filled again to start the process over. However, in January, while not perfect, I am doing pretty good.  I will say overall, that I consume only a quarter of the junk food I use to. I am trying the same for February.