Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Doable December!

@aprilskies wrote:

All I know, Ladies, is that HEP now has to be my priority.  I have gone off the rails and Christmas is still two weeks away.  Not good.  Every day is a start tomorrow kind of day, but that isnt working. I suppose it should be "start right now."  I bought flavored tea to stave off some cravings, I think I reached for it once.  Oy vey, this will be hard.  So today hasnt been great, but I can still save it if I go light for dinner.   I have run out of excuses.  Woman Sad

So, I wont declare anything as I have declared it before and failed, I just have to put things in action. 

I even bought an electric tea kettle.  I didnt really need a tea kettle but I never bother to boil water for tea, not because it is hard, but because I forget I have water boiling. Smiley Happy I have had some close calls. I am easily distracted.  So, I guess I did need a tea kettle.

I am still amazed what I saw on the scale this morning.  I dont normally weigh myself but I just had to today because I kind of knew I have been crazy so I was curious. Plus, if i am going to lose some, I like to know where I am starting even though I dont care about the number on the scale so much.  

Anyhoo, here we go.....

@aprilskies

And that's the good thing about an electric tea kettle.  Sometimes I get distracted, too, and don't realize that my water has boiled and it's time for me to drench my tea bag.  I just click it on again and it only takes a few seconds to get back to boiling.

That whole walking away from a flame on the stove... not a good thing.  Been paranoid ever since I set my college apartment on fire.  I was going to make popcorn and had oil on the stove, but then I got distracted.  Robert Shaw was getting eaten by the big shark and then... then I heard my roommates screaming.

Wise choice, that kettle.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

For the record, I havent bought an eyeshadow palette yet.  Yay, me. Temptation is great though.

@aprilskies

I haven't, either.  I barely even wear eyeshadow but since I've been getting all these Ulta emails, I keep seeing eyeshadow palettes.

They're beautiful but I just keep picturing them used.  They're only pretty when they haven't been touched.

Stay strong.  Have a nice cup of tea.

(But don't get addicted or else you'll be wondering why you have so many teas in the cupboard that taste like a wet dog.)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

For the record, I havent bought an eyeshadow palette yet.  Yay, me. Temptation is great though.

@aprilskies

I haven't, either.  I barely even wear eyeshadow but since I've been getting all these Ulta emails, I keep seeing eyeshadow palettes.

They're beautiful but I just keep picturing them used.  They're only pretty when they haven't been touched.

Stay strong.  Have a nice cup of tea.

(But don't get addicted or else you'll be wondering why you have so many teas in the cupboard that taste like a wet dog.)

@just bee, yikes on the popcorn story escapade.  Funny now but I am sure not so much then. Now with the kettle I can get through some hot chocolate too.  I really do hope this will help with cravings,   Otherwise, I will need to turn to pickles. 

I am trying very hard on staying strong with eyeshadow palettes.  My goal was none this year and I am almost there. I certainly don’t need more. 

Today is my first day of HEP.  My plan is no indulging during the week and just being reasonable on weekends.  I have my water ready. 🤪

Have a nice day, everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I am trying very hard on staying strong with eyeshadow palettes.  My goal was none this year and I am almost there. I certainly don’t need more. 

Today is my first day of HEP.  My plan is no indulging during the week and just being reasonable on weekends.  I have my water ready. 🤪

@aprilskies

You haven't bought one all year?  Do you realize you only have 20 days to go?

Just think how bad you'll feel when you buy one and then see it marked down to half-price (or lower) after the holidays.

As for HEP, don't starve yourself.  The last thing you need is to weaken your immune system and come down with some virus.  Maybe you should figure out the two or three items that are your Kryptonite and find replacements for them.

Try that for 20 days and see how you feel.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

You haven't bought one all year?  Do you realize you only have 20 days to go?

Just think how bad you'll feel when you buy one and then see it marked down to half-price (or lower) after the holidays.

As for HEP, don't starve yourself.  The last thing you need is to weaken your immune system and come down with some virus.  Maybe you should figure out the two or three items that are your Kryptonite and find replacements for them.

Try that for 20 days and see how you feel.

@just bee, Yup, not one eyeshadow, not even a single, and if I hold strong for the last few weeks, it will be an accomplishment.  I really have not purchased a lot of mu this year at all though.  I need to use what I have. 

Plus, I think I am safe for a minute or so.  I just got through a bad buying cycle and I feel less crazy now.  I need to go through everything I bought.

Starve, I dont believe in it or dieting for that matter. However, I do need to get healthy. I have been off the charts and have to reel it in a bit.   I was fighting on buying new pants for the longest time but finally had to succumb.  But, it is pretty bad when the new pants start feeling tight. And Christmas is coming after all and I want to enjoy it without guilt.

It is too early for the New Year goals, but it has to be getting healthy for me.  No diets, no gimmicks, no grand plans, just healthy.  

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

No diets, no gimmicks, no grand plans, just healthy.  

@aprilskies

You might want to print that out and post it around...

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

No diets, no gimmicks, no grand plans, just healthy.  

@aprilskies

You might want to print that out and post it around...

@just bee,  I think you are right.  It will be a good reminder to be mindful.   I am ready to feel better.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

Don’t feel bad about falling off the HEP wagon.  I did horribly this month, too.  But the last of my sweet gifts are wrapped and ready to be delivered so the temptation will out of the house at last.  Now comes the junk food hangover.  I was going to start this at the new year, but I ate so much sugar the last few weeks that I literally can feel the negative effects on my body—I was making myself sick. So I’m not going to try to keep anything around that even remotely resembles convenience foods.  I have no will power.  I can do it, I just have to remember when I get feeling better not to slip back into its clutches.

@just bee

I am definitely interested in doing a minimalist 2018–and beyond.  In fact, for  quite a while now I have been looking at all aspects of my life and realize I have to change many things about it.  So many that I think in order to be successful at all, I need a new mindset.  To look at life differently, and consequently, act differently.  The beginning of a new year seems like the perfect time for that. 

Honored Contributor

Change

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies

Don’t feel bad about falling off the HEP wagon.  I did horribly this month, too.  But the last of my sweet gifts are wrapped and ready to be delivered so the temptation will out of the house at last.  Now comes the junk food hangover.  I was going to start this at the new year, but I ate so much sugar the last few weeks that I literally can feel the negative effects on my body—I was making myself sick. So I’m not going to try to keep anything around that even remotely resembles convenience foods.  I have no will power.  I can do it, I just have to remember when I get feeling better not to slip back into its clutches.

@just bee

I am definitely interested in doing a minimalist 2018–and beyond.  In fact, for  quite a while now I have been looking at all aspects of my life and realize I have to change many things about it.  So many that I think in order to be successful at all, I need a new mindset.  To look at life differently, and consequently, act differently.  The beginning of a new year seems like the perfect time for that. 

@geezerette

Substitution works for me when it comes to food.  I was thinking about this yesterday.  I could eat peanut butter every day.  My favorite way to eat it has always been to toast sturdy bread, slather it with a layer of butter and a layer of peanut butter, then top it off with a generous drizzle of honey.

I've weaned myself off this treat.  I also weaned myself off honey and heavy whipping cream in my tea.  I used some cream recently because it was there, but it was only for a few days and then I went back to black.

Now I toast Ezekiel cinnamon and raisin bread and spread Skippy creamy on it but no butter, no honey.  I've adjusted and it tastes normal to me.

As for making a major change, I've been in a terrible funk because I've had valuable time off but haven't been able to use the days productively.  There were some things I should have addressed that wouldn't have put my hand in jeopardy and I still didn't address those.  I simply spaced it all out.

I could kick myself.

I even put off my Christmas cards.  Yesterday I found my 2016 calendar and it looks like I mailed last year's cards on 12/13.  I woke up this morning and found other things to do.  Finally I just took off the wrist gauntlet and carefully wrote out addresses and applied labels and stamps.

I suddenly feel better.  I'll feel even better once they're mailed.  Instead of choosing one design for each person, everyone got the same card (except for the veterinarian, his staff and the office cats).

That one choice -- streamlining holiday cards -- just simplified my life.  I need to apply that to other areas.

But the most important thing is the procrastination.  It's just not working for me.

We are just going to have to adopt a buddy system and keep an eye on each other in 2018.