Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER

@aprilskies wrote:

I made it through Black Friday unscathed.  The only thing I bought was a DVD of a movie I want to see for 11 bucks. I paid less than I would have at the movies.  I had things in my cart on a few sites but I wouldn't pull the trigger.  Sale or no sale I don't need more products at the moment.    I had to fight myself on some palettes, but so far so good.  Feeling pretty good at the moment that I don't have a ton of products coming my way.  Have I really turned the corner, not sure, but I am feeling pretty good right now, for now.   Those sales are pretty tough, phew.  

I still need a computer and I will focus on that. 

I decluttered a few more clothes.  I even put back in the bag the clothes I changed my mind on last time.  I loved the tops but the fabric did not hold up.  I didn't get my use out of them but now I know those fabrics will not hold and do not buy them.  ...or will not buy going forward. 

I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.  My family and I had a peaceful day.  Usually, someone is arguing about something,  lol. 

You couldn't pay me enough to go near a mall right now.  And it's official: The Great American Southwest really does have the worst drivers in the nation.  Might have something to do with all the adult beverages in the cup holders...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!!  I am still up waiting for the cheesecake to cool enough so I can remove the pan.  The pecan pie is done, and I've completed as much pre-Thanksgiving meal preparation as I can.  Where has the year gone?  I am so disappointed with myself.  By now, I usually have both many Christmas gifts.  This year?  None!  Not a single gift has been purchased.

Once again, the breakage continues in my house.  We repaired the sewage pipe leak.  Then, the heater would not kick on.  Next, the dryer.  Finally (hopefully), an outlet went out causing all of the outlets on the wall not to work, including the garbage disposal.  The joys of homeownership!

DD and I are going to continue the tradition of shopping on Black Friday.  We'll have breakfast at Panera and then hit the mall.  She needs a new jacket and a sweater or two.

I have made only two beauty purchases.  Both were small Origins skincare kits.  I have always wanted to try the brand.  The products are supposed to be formulated without a bunch of unhealthy ingredients.  Also, I have given up waiting for an Isomers Vitamin C kit.  If it comes along, fine.  Until then, I am going to try other brands.  That is why I bought the Origins kits.  Both are for brightening, and the kits work together.  I feel good about these purchases.  The skincare section of my bathroom cabinet looks terrific.  I'll finish what I have been using and then open the Origins kits.  Because I love Isomers Super Skin Serum, I am going to continue using this with the Origins products.

This season, I will make it without buying any color cosmetics.  What I have started doing is looking at kits with a critical eye.  So many kits are a mix of warm and cool shades, so automatically I eliminate half of the colors.  Then, I can usually eliminate the dark and very lights shades.  By the time I do this, I realize that the kit is not really a bargain.  Now if the companies wised up and started offering cool and warm kits, I'd be in trouble.  Brushes are still a slight problem.  Tarte has the nicest brush set for only $44.  If the brushes had not been double-ended, I would have bought them.  That's a sad statement since I do not need another brush, but it's true.  I would have bought them.

As far as inventory goes, I finished another eyeliner.  This is the last eyeliner in my drawer that had to be sharpened.  My other eyeliners are the twist up kind.  I have enough to last for months.  I also gave my only liquid eyeliner to DD.  Eyeshadow palettes really do last for months, at least.  I continue to use the same one everyday and still have a lot left.  I will not open a new palette until this one is finished.  In the lip color category, I tossed a lipstick and lip gloss that were just a little too brown.  IThey were not pink enough.  Then, I did something that might cause distress to Borghese lovers.  Prepare yourselves.  I spooned out the contents of three jars of mud masks and used the jars to organize my lip colors.  The masks just did not work for me.  They stung.  Happily, my lip colors look great in them, and there is room to spare in each jar.  I could fit them into two jars, but I like having them separated my color.

I'll sign off for now.  The cheesecake is cool, so it can go in the fridge.

I got on the Origins bandwagon back in the 90s because I liked the scent of their products.  That they burned the ____ out of my skin was an entirely different matter.

Hope they fixed that!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

You couldn't pay me enough to go near a mall right now.  And it's official: The Great American Southwest really does have the worst drivers in the nation.  Might have something to do with all the adult beverages in the cup holders...

Me either.  I finally ventured out Saturday afternoon and regretted that for the most part.  The traffic was terrible.  I thought I was in rush hour traffic.  I had to think for a moment that it was Saturday.

Respected Contributor

@dosey wrote:

This season, I will make it without buying any color cosmetics.  What I have started doing is looking at kits with a critical eye.  So many kits are a mix of warm and cool shades, so automatically I eliminate half of the colors.  Then, I can usually eliminate the dark and very lights shades.  By the time I do this, I realize that the kit is not really a bargain.  Now if the companies wised up and started offering cool and warm kits, I'd be in trouble.  Brushes are still a slight problem.  Tarte has the nicest brush set for only $44.  If the brushes had not been double-ended, I would have bought them.  That's a sad statement since I do not need another brush, but it's true.  I would have bought them.

As far as inventory goes, I finished another eyeliner.  This is the last eyeliner in my drawer that had to be sharpened.  My other eyeliners are the twist up kind.  I have enough to last for months.  I also gave my only liquid eyeliner to DD.  Eyeshadow palettes really do last for months, at least.  I continue to use the same one everyday and still have a lot left.  I will not open a new palette until this one is finished.  In the lip color category, I tossed a lipstick and lip gloss that were just a little too brown.  IThey were not pink enough.  Then, I did something that might cause distress to Borghese lovers.  Prepare yourselves.  I spooned out the contents of three jars of mud masks and used the jars to organize my lip colors.  The masks just did not work for me.  They stung.  Happily, my lip colors look great in them, and there is room to spare in each jar.  I could fit them into two jars, but I like having them separated my color.

@dosey,I dont need another brush either but I would have gotten those brushes too if they werent double sided.  I have one of their brushes and I love it.  I would love to try the rest of them from the line and that would have been a great deal. Brushes are a weakness for me.

You seem like you are doing so well on your inventory.  It is hard to toss out products but if they dont work for you no point in keeping them around.  At least you were able to reuse the jars for other things. I always consider that a plus.

How is your job going?

Respected Contributor

I am getting clobbered by emails telling me it is my last chance for using coupons.  And now I am getting clobbered by cyber Monday emails.  I almost put in a couple of orders this morning but didnt do it.  It is so funny, I fill up my cart with the minimum order for free shipping and then realize I dont want to spend so much on products/items I dont need.  I start to realize I am just ordering things because of coupons and I rather just buy what I really want instead. It is kinda amusing to me.  At least I am winning the battle of the impulse buying.  The holiday season is still young but so far so good.  

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!!  I am still up waiting for the cheesecake to cool enough so I can remove the pan.  The pecan pie is done, and I've completed as much pre-Thanksgiving meal preparation as I can.  Where has the year gone?  I am so disappointed with myself.  By now, I usually have both many Christmas gifts.  This year?  None!  Not a single gift has been purchased.

Once again, the breakage continues in my house.  We repaired the sewage pipe leak.  Then, the heater would not kick on.  Next, the dryer.  Finally (hopefully), an outlet went out causing all of the outlets on the wall not to work, including the garbage disposal.  The joys of homeownership!

DD and I are going to continue the tradition of shopping on Black Friday.  We'll have breakfast at Panera and then hit the mall.  She needs a new jacket and a sweater or two.

I have made only two beauty purchases.  Both were small Origins skincare kits.  I have always wanted to try the brand.  The products are supposed to be formulated without a bunch of unhealthy ingredients.  Also, I have given up waiting for an Isomers Vitamin C kit.  If it comes along, fine.  Until then, I am going to try other brands.  That is why I bought the Origins kits.  Both are for brightening, and the kits work together.  I feel good about these purchases.  The skincare section of my bathroom cabinet looks terrific.  I'll finish what I have been using and then open the Origins kits.  Because I love Isomers Super Skin Serum, I am going to continue using this with the Origins products.

I got on the Origins bandwagon back in the 90s because I liked the scent of their products.  That they burned the ____ out of my skin was an entirely different matter.

Hope they fixed that!

I do, too.  I want my skin to glow but not due to red hot skin.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@dosey wrote:

@dosey,I dont need another brush either but I would have gotten those brushes too if they werent double sided.  I have one of their brushes and I love it.  I would love to try the rest of them from the line and that would have been a great deal. Brushes are a weakness for me.

You seem like you are doing so well on your inventory.  It is hard to toss out products but if they dont work for you no point in keeping them around.  At least you were able to reuse the jars for other things. I always consider that a plus.

How is your job going?

My job is going really well.  It is a nice place to go to five days a week. I have never worked at a place where everyone got along with each other.  We even text each other when we are off.

My inventory is looking good after almost four years of ComPacting.  Using, repurposing, donating, gifting, and tossing.  That and reducing the flow in.  It's tough, isn't it?  I still have plenty of some things - brushes, lip products, eyeliners, blushes, and eyeshadows.  I have no business buying any of those things until I use what I have.  Take a hard look at what you have.  Toss if you have to.  You'll feel better if you don't have to look at it each day.  Repurpose, too.  It does not take too long to use a serum if you apply it to your arms.  LOL  I am also looking ahead.  A few years ahead.  There are some big expenses in my future, and I want to prepare for them.  That really does help.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I am getting clobbered by emails telling me it is my last chance for using coupons.  And now I am getting clobbered by cyber Monday emails.  I almost put in a couple of orders this morning but didnt do it.  It is so funny, I fill up my cart with the minimum order for free shipping and then realize I dont want to spend so much on products/items I dont need.  I start to realize I am just ordering things because of coupons and I rather just buy what I really want instead. It is kinda amusing to me.  At least I am winning the battle of the impulse buying.  The holiday season is still young but so far so good.  

I have never received as many Cyber Monday emails as I did this year, and I deleted all of them without opening a single one!  I know where I am buying gifts, and sadly, none of the gifts are coming from Talbots or Dillard's.  Maybe in January I'll treat myself.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I have never received as many Cyber Monday emails as I did this year, and I deleted all of them without opening a single one!  I know where I am buying gifts, and sadly, none of the gifts are coming from Talbots or Dillard's.  Maybe in January I'll treat myself.

Me too!  Well, except for one.  I got an early Black Friday 20% off coupon last week from LL Bean that I used for my old geezer.  He's been needing a new winter jacket for some years (the one he's wearing is forty years old!), but he's been too cheap to pay full-price.  With the 20% and my accumulated coupons, I got him a new jacket for $100 off.  I was pretty proud of myself.  Now if I could just do that with everything I buy...😄😉

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

Hope they fixed that!

I do, too.  I want my skin to glow but not due to red hot skin.

I tried Orijen back in the day too, when it was still Orijen and not owned by a huge conglomerate.  It didn't burn my skin, it just didn't do anything.  I quickly decided it was too expensive to do nothing.  I've found over the years that while I love the concept of "natural", too much "natural" in a product generally doesn't do much for me.  Topically, that is.  Natural food is a different story.