Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

The new habit I'm starting for March is to exercise (nothing strenuous, just a little gentle yoga for seniors/beginners) 5 days per week.

There's a great website that I'll be using as a guide (DoYogaWithMe). Cat Happy

I'll have to check out that site.  I miss yoga.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.  I just don't know why I don't get back into it because I really enjoyed it so much.  Stretching is so important.  Ever turn to check your blind spot, then wish you hadn't?  Something as simple as getting off the couch can really mess you up.  Stretching, breathing, walking.  All good things.

Sadly, the other day I was in my car and twisted around to reach something - oh yeah I felt something really off for the rest of the day in my upper back. The yoga and stretching needs to become a hobby for me. Just thinking about it, if I would cash in some regular tv viewing for legit exercise wellness habits what a change I could make in my life!!

Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only person who's done this!  I jacked up my back the other day just by getting off the couch.  Think limber!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- March

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I am also going to limit web surfing in the evenings to maybe just a half an hour. Right now, I fritter away too much precious time and my "to dos" only grow larger along with my anxiety. Smiley Very Happy  This will be a challenge but I think I can do it for a month.

LOL, I have a huge bottle of castor oil sitting around too, although, not that old.  Last week, I actually started using it. I oiled my hair.  My hair definitely needs some moisture so I am using this as a mix with other oils. I am planning on doing the oil thing again tonight. I am going to try and do this twice a week.  I really find I am not one for maintenance type of things but I am going to give it a go.

Do you find yourself getting ready to start another work week thinking that it doesn't feel like you had any time off?  Where did my days off go?  And if I really had time off, what do I have to show for it?  What did I accomplish?  How much did I check off my to do list?  I fritter.  I definitely fritter.

Well, I opened that bottle of oil and I do believe it has gone south.  I used it anyway.  Jojoba's a good choice for your hair and skin because it has a very long shelf life.  My ancient jojoba still smells okay.  The castor smells... not so good.

Again, I bought so much oil when the oil cleansing thing was all the rage on this forum.  Audible sigh.

Yes, yes, and yes.  Exactly how I feel come Monday morning and I swear every week, with the start of the new, it will be different and it never is.  I fall into the same black hole.  You ladies get it, it is why I love this thread.

Wow, you are brave with the castor oil. I had to toss a skinn wrinkle balm the other day. It was a small 1.2 oz jar and I was conserving it throughout winter because it is the last of its kind.  I used half of it and then I went to use it again and it smelled like alcohol so then I slathered a whole bunch as my body moisturizer and on my feet and tossed the rest.  But, all I could think about is boy I hope I dont break out.  LOL.  You are brave.

Yes, the oil cleansing crazy. Too funny.  I bought a bunch and essential oils too.  The funny part, it was easier to buy the ready made so that is what I did.  oy vey.  So, now I am trying to use up some of the oils.  I thought I tossed my essentials oils because I thought they expired fast and just read where they are good depending on where they were stored. So, I was relieved I didnt toss them.  They are expensive. Sometimes, I do get a little toss happy. I admit.

Spoiler
HeartWoman LOLHeart
Have no idea how I clicked on that spoiler icon.  Ugh.
~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

The new habit I'm starting for March is to exercise (nothing strenuous, just a little gentle yoga for seniors/beginners) 5 days per week.

There's a great website that I'll be using as a guide (DoYogaWithMe). Cat Happy

Thanks for the website! I'm going to check it out. I fell off the consistent exercise bandwagon this winter. Too many excuses - ongoing colds, odd work hours, etc. My goal is to dust off my workout dvds to workout at least 4 times a week including weights and cardio. I need to add in some yoga too. Would like to see some improvement for Spring/Summer. No, I don't expect to be bikini ready LOL but at least being able to go up 3 flights of stairs not as winded will be an improvement!

It's really true: If your body keeps moving it becomes a habit.  A body in motion stays in motion.  Once you stop moving, things go south pretty fast.  Everything becomes an effort.

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

I'm calling February a Compact success for me!! The temptations were definitely there but the only beauty item I bought was the Philosophy trio of shower gels. Yes, they're jumbos LOL but my shower stash is now so small that I'll be able to 100% enjoy using these scents without any guilt. That has become one of the most important things for me in this Compact journey - getting over feeling guilty about buying things due to I'm taking more time to think about purchases. 

I did see the Paula's Choice info regarding items being discontinued so I did go over there last night. I bought 4 items that were on sale that I'm currently on last bottle of so these will last me for the rest of the year. The idea that her sizes for toners etc are going to get smaller and for same prices is really disappointing to me. But I guess this line has lasted this long without doing that, it was bound to happen eventually.

I have FUN planned!!!! On Leap Day, my sister randomly told me that there were great cruise deals....so I started looking at the deals then airfare to Florida if we took a cruise. Well, long story short, no cruise booked but we got airfare for a steal to Florida and a car rental! We have talked about a Florida roadtrip for ages and we're going to cross it off of our travel bucket list! Into Miami then out to Everglades and the Keys loop up to maybe Orlando to see Mickey and then Cape Canaveral returning to Miami. Or that's the general idea for now LOL. most likely will morph a lot. Feel free to give me your ideas if you have any recommendations!! We leave middle of April for a week.

My goal for March - save up "fun" money for the trip. Stop and think about purchases if it's not needed. Limit fast food - plan out meals at home so I can use that "saved" money for some fun eats while on vacation!!

I know there is an IT Cosmetics TSV coming up. It may be tempting depending on what is included.

That's funny!  I was looking at a map last night, thinking about road trips.  Where could I go if I just took I-25?  I-10?  I-40?  A coworker is taking three weeks off and heading to Pennsylvania.  I looked at the map and thought that if she planned it right she could hit just about every state in the South.  Then I thought about how I just asked for three nights off so I could use those days to attend seminars.  How boring has my life become?  And I have to pay for the seminars!

Stop impulse shopping immediately so that you can afford big pink drinks and lots of food on your trip.  The price of Disney tickets is skyrocketing, so no more fast food for you!  (No selfies with alligators, either.  But try to get a few with palmetto bugs and giant banana spiders and post them here.)

You're an inspiration.  And a reminder that we need fun.  I'll be thinking of you as I'm sitting in my April seminar.

Valued Contributor

I began a gym membership 15 years ago with a close friend.  We've kept each other going all this time.  Probably one of the best decisions I've ever made.  One of the best things exercise does for you is keep your mental and psychological self  balanced.  At my age I'll never look like a supermodel, but exercise helps so many facets of my life.  As far as simplifying life by not accumulating so much stuff, I am definitely sticking by that too.  It's so much more about life experiences than things!

Honored Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

I began a gym membership 15 years ago with a close friend.  We've kept each other going all this time.  Probably one of the best decisions I've ever made.  One of the best things exercise does for you is keep your mental and psychological self  balanced.  At my age I'll never look like a supermodel, but exercise helps so many facets of my life.  As far as simplifying life by not accumulating so much stuff, I am definitely sticking by that too.  It's so much more about life experiences than things!

You make an excellent point about the benefits of exercise.  People tend to avoid it because they focus too much on the physicality and an end result.  If I exercise, I'll lose weight.  If I exercise, I'll drop two sizes and be able to fit into the jeans I've had in my closet since 1978.  If I exercise, I'll look like someone else and my life will change for the better.

And when did exercise mean pain?  I remember Jane Fonda waxing poetic about feeling the burn -- now everyone thinks they have to exercise until every fiber of their being is screaming for help.  I work with people who can barely do their jobs because they damaged themselves at the gym.  And they happily brag about it.

Exercise should make a person feel better, not worse.  As you said, it's like therapy.  A walk can clear your mind, lift burdens, and change your perspective.  That's what I miss about yoga: I always felt so much better -- inside and out -- when I was practicing.

I'll always remember elementary school in Chicago.  After a brutal winter, the teachers would take us out for a spring walk.  For me, it was a religious experience.  I loved seeing buds on trees, robins, squirrels, and people who had been in hibernation for months outside again with their dogs.  It was an opportunity to start all over again.

Exercise shouldn't hurt.  It shouldn't be punitive.  When we were little, it was fun. 

Regular Contributor

Hello All,

it was nice catching up with everyone. I too love yoga but just don't do it because I always seem too busy. Just this morning I thought that I should blow the dust off the dvd and go for it. Then I read this thread and many of you are thinking the same thing. Namaste to us all.

Honored Contributor

@DL2843 wrote:

Hello All,

it was nice catching up with everyone. I too love yoga but just don't do it because I always seem too busy. Just this morning I thought that I should blow the dust off the dvd and go for it. Then I read this thread and many of you are thinking the same thing. Namaste to us all.

I think that one of the reasons I stopped practicing yoga was that every time I got down on the floor I was surrounded by dogs who thought I'd finally converted to Caninism.  Mass celebration.  Exhausting.

But now I have one dog who has this innate sense of decorum.  I think I could get down there now.  The only thing keeping me from doing it is the state of my carpet.  Here's the dumbest thing ever: I bought a pilates machine (from QVC, I might add) and it has been living in a closet for years.  Maybe it's time for it to come out of the closet.

The nice thing about yoga is that you really don't need to have any special equipment.  Hmmm...

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I would love to stick with yoga.  I never do, but I signed up for hot yoga, which seems to be the latest craze, so I am looking forward to it. I will start later this month. Not sure how it will go, I don't do well with heat, but I got a good deal on groupon for a month so figured it would be a good kick start if nothing else.  I need to move more for sure.  I am finding it hard to get started. ...and, I agree, for me it will be more for mental health. The rest will be bonus. 

Respected Contributor

So, having stockpiles isn't necessarily all bad.  I was able to share some things with my mom who would never buy them for herself.  It felt good to share some nice things with her.  Thank you shopping channels. Thanks for helping me stockpile. 😂