Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?
The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.
Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.
They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.
Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

I think what you're promoting here is a great idea.  The "makeup purge" really resonates for me.  I'm a sucker for a good sales pitch, yet I always fall back on my old favorites after wasting $$$ on the new, better thing.  I'll give it a go!

Valued Contributor

Welcome Kardi.  This thread has helped me so much in my purchasing habits.  It has been a slow process but I have come so far in my stopping of mindless purchases, only to add to an evergrowing stash.  I still shop, but the voice in my head has become so much more vocal in deciding whether or not I really need something.  Good luck with your journey.

Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- March

[ Edited ]

Not a poster, but a lurker.  I find reading everyone's posts here very helpful.  I have mostly stopped buying the "collections" or "Today's Special Value" cosmetics.  I never use all the pieces and it does help my balance sheet quite a bit.  Watching QVC, though, is not helpful.  I have cut back quite a bit (due mostly to the hosts that are now on constantly most evenings) and that too is helping my balance sheet.

Honored Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

I think what you're promoting here is a great idea.  The "makeup purge" really resonates for me.  I'm a sucker for a good sales pitch, yet I always fall back on my old favorites after wasting $$$ on the new, better thing.  I'll give it a go!

We all have collections that need pruning.  Welcome!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Welcome Kardi.  This thread has helped me so much in my purchasing habits.  It has been a slow process but I have come so far in my stopping of mindless purchases, only to add to an evergrowing stash.  I still shop, but the voice in my head has become so much more vocal in deciding whether or not I really need something.  Good luck with your journey.

Mindful shopping.  It really does get easier!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

Not a poster, but a lurker.  I find reading everyone's posts here very helpful.  I have mostly stopped buying the "collections" or "Today's Special Value" cosmetics.  I never use all the pieces and it does help my balance sheet quite a bit.  Watching QVC, though, is not helpful.  I have cut back quite a bit (due mostly to the hosts that are now on constantly most evenings) and that too is helping my balance sheet.

Oh, the enablers!  I haven't subscribed to a woman's fashion magazine in decades, but I picked one up at the dentist's office the other day and was reminded why I stopped reading them.  All those ads and photos of items you are required to have.  Excuse me, but I will never need a thousand dollar T-shirt or a seven thousand dollar handbag.  And, thanks to this thread, I don't need all those beauty products.  The trick is finding what works and sticking with it.  Loyalty can save you a few bucks.

Honored Contributor

Since there are just about 30 days in each month and it's said that it takes 30 days for a new habit to stick, what new habit are you contemplating for March?

I've had a bottle of castor oil for six years (at least) and I always think I should be using it on my brows.  I've been forgetting to do this for... well, about six years.  Maybe this is the month to find out if using castor oil on your brows really works.

Something about restoring color and encouraging growth.  Not that I want Ken Wahl/Lee Pace brows, but I want to see if this is effective.  If only I can remember...

I'm going to go put some on right now!  (Does castor oil get rancid?  Guess I'll find out!)

Respected Contributor

Welcome to the new folks. It certainly is a journey.  It has been a long one for me and I am still struggling a bit but it has gotten easier. Already I have talked myself out of so many beauty purchases and I am thankful.  I have more than I can use and I would like to make this year the last year I throw things out barely touched or never opened, which happens when you have too much and decide you dont want to use it after all.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Since there are just about 30 days in each month and it's said that it takes 30 days for a new habit to stick, what new habit are you contemplating for March?

I've had a bottle of castor oil for six years (at least) and I always think I should be using it on my brows.  I've been forgetting to do this for... well, about six years.  Maybe this is the month to find out if using castor oil on your brows really works.

Something about restoring color and encouraging growth.  Not that I want Ken Wahl/Lee Pace brows, but I want to see if this is effective.  If only I can remember...

I'm going to go put some on right now!  (Does castor oil get rancid?  Guess I'll find out!)

In February, I actually didnt login to Facebook once.  I dont really do much on facebook but when I get a bit bored, I tend to login and waste some time.  While I had to stop myself a few times from logging in, I really didnt miss reading when folks where at 7 eleven. I am going to continue this for March as well.  I better write down my password. 

I am also going to limit web surfing in the evenings to maybe just a half an hour. Right now, I fritter away too much precious time and my "to dos" only grow larger along with my anxiety. Smiley Very Happy  This will be a challenge but I think I can do it for a month.

LOL, I have a huge bottle of castor oil sitting around too, although, not that old.  Last week, I actually started using it. I oiled my hair.  My hair definitely needs some moisture so I am using this as a mix with other oils. I am planning on doing the oil thing again tonight. I am going to try and do this twice a week.  I really find I am not one for maintenance type of things but I am going to give it a go.