Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- DECEMBER!

For KaySD -

Image result for MERRY CHRISTMAs

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

Merry Christmas, Friends!  Hope you had a wonderful day with loved ones.  Now let's gird our loins for the day after.  One of the best memes I saw:

Holiday to do list:

1. Bring Be presents.

2. Wrap gifts.  someone in a hug

3. Send cards. peace

4. Shop for Donate food.

5. Make cookies. love

6. See  Be the lights.

I needed that reminder.  Stay safe & warm where you are!

Respected Contributor

Hi Everyone.  I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.  Another one come and gone.  It is hard to believe we are about to say goodbye to 2016 and hello to 2017. I no longer make resolutions but I am setting up some goals for myself.  Not anything extreme just some changes I need and want to make.

My main goal will be HEP. I keep saying it, have great intentions, but it never translates to reality. I have a few more days to indulge, too many holiday goodies, but then I will get strict. My plan is 80% healthy eating and 20% whatever I want as long as I am exercising. I am not sure why exercising is such a chore but I think I am in the worst shape of my life and it is time to change that.  I am ready.  Although, no dieting. They are not for me.  Maybe cause I could never stick to them. Smiley Happy 

My second major goal is curbed beauty spending.  No more month to month no buys. Too much energy is spent trying not to buy and then I always fall off the wagon hard. December was a disaster.  Instead, I think I will give myself two wants for the year and that is it.  I have unsubscribed from most emails except for a couple. I keep unsubscribing everyday as they come through. Also, no more perusing beauty blogs or beauty youtube channels unless I am specifically interested in something. When I see something, it stays with me until I buy it. I am better off not knowing what is out there. LOL.

Those are my two major ones but I have a few other ones as well.  Nothing that I am going to get neurotic over, just some changes that I need to make happen if I can.

How about you?  Any goals for the New Year?  Big or small?

Happy New Year, Everyone!!! May 2017 be fanastic.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Hi Everyone.  I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.  Another one come and gone.  It is hard to believe we are about to say goodbye to 2016 and hello to 2017. I no longer make resolutions but I am setting up some goals for myself.  Not anything extreme just some changes I need and want to make.

My main goal will be HEP. I keep saying it, have great intentions, but it never translates to reality. I have a few more days to indulge, too many holiday goodies, but then I will get strict. My plan is 80% healthy eating and 20% whatever I want as long as I am exercising. I am not sure why exercising is such a chore but I think I am in the worst shape of my life and it is time to change that.  I am ready.  Although, no dieting. They are not for me.  Maybe cause I could never stick to them. Smiley Happy 

My second major goal is curbed beauty spending.  No more month to month no buys. Too much energy is spent trying not to buy and then I always fall off the wagon hard. December was a disaster.  Instead, I think I will give myself two wants for the year and that is it.  I have unsubscribed from most emails except for a couple. I keep unsubscribing everyday as they come through. Also, no more perusing beauty blogs or beauty youtube channels unless I am specifically interested in something. When I see something, it stays with me until I buy it. I am better off not knowing what is out there. LOL.

Those are my two major ones but I have a few other ones as well.  Nothing that I am going to get neurotic over, just some changes that I need to make happen if I can.

@aprilskies I hear ya!  I'm in the same boat.  In 2017 I want to clean up my eating and get in more exercise.  It's so hard to stick with it and I'm in the worst shape of my life, even heavier than when I was pregnant.  I blamed it on turning 40 but that was a couple of years ago and I need to do something about it.  I really need to cut out sugar.  That is my downfall.  And if I'm going to watch videos, I need to be on the stationary bike putting in some sweat equity.  The heat in Hawaii gets me and I don't want to exercise during the day, but if I can do more biking during YouTube in the evening, that should help burn calories.  Also, more vacuuming.  I realized how much I sweat when I vacuum.

I also have a list of makeup to use up.  Instead of actual products, I have the amount of each "problem area" that I want to use up, i.e. 6 lipsticks, 3 eyeshadow palettes.  I am following Elle Is For Living's example of her use up list.  Also, since I've changed my criteria for makeup ingredients, it's so much harder to purchase anything new.  

I'm still working on decluttering and simplifying.  Erin Boyle has a blog called Reading My Tea Leaves that I've been following for a few years now.  She wrote a book called Simple Matters that I've been giving as Christmas gifts.  It's a beautiful book about simplicity.  In the same vein as Marie Kondo's Lifechanging Magic of Tidying Up, but less intense, more organic.  And the Minimalists have a documentary out on Netflix called Minimalism.  I really enjoyed watching it.  

I have another donation bag in my trunk for Dress for Success and one in my closet for everyday clothes.   

Happy New to everyone!

Trusted Contributor

Good bye to 2016! We survived it! Hurrah!

@just bee, thanks for doing this every month and looking after us all. I appreciate you.

I rarely get colds, but came down with one after the annual family holiday gathering. Nevertheless, I went through my cupboards and closets like a buzz saw this week. I have three big trash bags of clothing, two huge cardboard boxes of kitchen and misc. stuff, and bags and bags of books to donate, and will soon have a full dumpster load of stuff I've tossed. Then I will collapse and sleep. 

If if I feel up to bEmig up for the last day of the year, we may open a bottle of Champagne to toast the new year. Or I may tuck my nose between my paws and hibernate until 2017. 

See you all on the flip side!

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Diets and resolutions don't work.  I usually try to come up with a theme for the new year and keep it to one word or a short phrase.  I'm still trying to commit to something but I figure I have a few hours left to convince myself.

The consensus is that 2016 was a terrible year.  I've given that some thought and all I can say is this:

THE CHICAGO CUBS WON THE ____ING WORLD SERIES!!!

Now there has to be at least one thing that happened this year that was extraordinary for you.  Anyone care to share?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@aprilskies I hear ya!  I'm in the same boat.  In 2017 I want to clean up my eating and get in more exercise.  It's so hard to stick with it and I'm in the worst shape of my life, even heavier than when I was pregnant.  I blamed it on turning 40 but that was a couple of years ago and I need to do something about it.  I really need to cut out sugar.  That is my downfall.  And if I'm going to watch videos, I need to be on the stationary bike putting in some sweat equity.  The heat in Hawaii gets me and I don't want to exercise during the day, but if I can do more biking during YouTube in the evening, that should help burn calories.  Also, more vacuuming.  I realized how much I sweat when I vacuum.

I also have a list of makeup to use up.  Instead of actual products, I have the amount of each "problem area" that I want to use up, i.e. 6 lipsticks, 3 eyeshadow palettes.  I am following Elle Is For Living's example of her use up list.  Also, since I've changed my criteria for makeup ingredients, it's so much harder to purchase anything new.  

I'm still working on decluttering and simplifying.  Erin Boyle has a blog called Reading My Tea Leaves that I've been following for a few years now.  She wrote a book called Simple Matters that I've been giving as Christmas gifts.  It's a beautiful book about simplicity.  In the same vein as Marie Kondo's Lifechanging Magic of Tidying Up, but less intense, more organic.  And the Minimalists have a documentary out on Netflix called Minimalism.  I really enjoyed watching it.  

I have another donation bag in my trunk for Dress for Success and one in my closet for everyday clothes.   

Happy New to everyone!

Decluttering and simplifying will always be a work in progress.  I wasn't born with the minimalist gene; instead I have the sentimental gene.  Minimalism is work -- collecting is easy. 

I think I told someone at work last week that I was 58.  I'm like a little kid -- always looking forward to the next birthday and proudly announcing that I'm almost sixty.  I realized this week that I just turned 57.  After 27, it's all a blur.

But 60 is that age when things could start to go south in a hurry.  I have to schedule a wellness check at work because my hospital wants to know if they can justify making us pick up the tab for our healthcare.  Like I've said, I haven't seen a doctor in years.  I work with them -- why would I want to hang out with them on my days off?

But when I donated blood on Christmas Eve, my blood pressure was higher than usual.  People would kill for my blood pressure.  But the Blood Services person told me not to worry -- I probably just had a big breakfast.  It was 9 AM and I had to tell him I'd just had a chef's salad.  He looked at me like I was joking.  Clearly he was unable to detect the ranch dressing on my breath.

So HEP will be a priority this year.  I was losing weight, and then I noticed it was ticking up after Thanksgiving.  If I get any heavier I'll have to invest in new bras.  There's nothing I hate more than buying new bras.  I've been wearing the same ones since 2010.  I'd rather eat less and walk more than try on new bras.  I buy the cast iron variety and fit is crucial.  A good bra is hard to find, so I'm hoping these will outlive me.

Thanks for the tips on minimalist resources.  That's the goal.  I stopped by Walgreens on my way home from work this morning and picked up two tubes of Full 'N Soft -- on sale.  Now that drugstore.com is no more, I'm done with stocking toiletries for the year.  Two tubes means six months -- that's good enough for me.

As long as I don't drop the wand on the floor...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Good bye to 2016! We survived it! Hurrah!

@just bee, thanks for doing this every month and looking after us all. I appreciate you.

I rarely get colds, but came down with one after the annual family holiday gathering. Nevertheless, I went through my cupboards and closets like a buzz saw this week. I have three big trash bags of clothing, two huge cardboard boxes of kitchen and misc. stuff, and bags and bags of books to donate, and will soon have a full dumpster load of stuff I've tossed. Then I will collapse and sleep. 

If if I feel up to bEmig up for the last day of the year, we may open a bottle of Champagne to toast the new year. Or I may tuck my nose between my paws and hibernate until 2017. 

See you all on the flip side!

Hey, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you guys.  It's amazing how you all find time to stick to the ComPact and fill those bags and boxes with items to donate.  You're all great at research, too.  I depend on you to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Can't believe I'll be posting a new thread for January 2017.  Here's to a great year!

A toast!

Oh, bad planning.  I should have stocked a bottle of Gruet Brut for tonight!