Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- December

@aprilskies wrote:

Christmas music - I like the classics mentioned a well, ex little drummer boy,  etc and all the other songs mentioned so I wont repeat what everyone wrote. 

Yesterday, I heard Last Christmas by Wham.  Although, this isn't a "true" Christmas song, I like it.  I will make a note of others. I listen mainly in the car so I a making a note of listening a bit more because it doesnt feel like Christmas at all and trying to find the "mood."

Last Christmas
I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away.
This year
To save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special.

Magic 99.5 plays this a LOT.  It's one I don't mind.  So why hasn't Christmas kicked in?  The other night we had the dog in the car and had to stop at the grocery store.  There's a neighborhood near the store that always does a great job with decorations.  We would always put our old dogs in the car and drive around, looking at all the houses and lights.  Since the current dog was in the car and we were right there, we just drove up and down and enjoyed the show.  I love Christmas decorations.  If anyone wonders if it's even worth it, it is!  We appreciate your effort!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I am also going to setup some goals for myself in 2016, like learn something new, do something new, etc. I feel each year passes so quickly and I haven't accomplished a thing I had planned. 

What are some of your goals in 2016?

Good question!  I have to start making my list.  I know I'd like to focus on home in 2016.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All right, here's my list of favorite Christmas movies.  This is not scientific -- and it might not even be accurate -- but these are the ones that just came to me.  In no particular order:

A Christmas Carol (just about any version, but I do have a soft spot for the George C. Scott, Patrick Stewart and Alastair Sim versions)

The Lion in Winter (O'Toole/Hepburn)
The Ref
Bad Santa
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated version)
You’ve Got Mail
The Godfather
A Christmas Story
A Midnight Clear
In Bruges
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
The Polar Express
The Family Man

Trusted Contributor

December is just too busy!!  It zaps the holiday spirit.  At least, the house is decorated, but I had to remove the wreath from the door.  The glittery apples (yes, apples) cracked, and the glitter was falling off in chunks.  Now, there are angels on the door.  Yes, I already had the angels.  Don't you know it!

I saw a guy this morning who was driving a car with a huge menorah attached to the roof.  He is definitely in the holiday spirit!  Good for him.

Okay, I am going to get back to you with my favorite holiday songs because there are a lot of them and I need to shorten the list.  However, I can tell you right now three songs that I cannot listen to.

3.  Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

2.  Santa Baby

1.  The Christmas Shoes - UGHHH!!!!  Really?  This is a festive song?!  If that's the case, we should turn Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer into a made for Lifetime TV movie.

On to ComPacting.  I think a 2016 budget is a great idea and will work on that.  It just occurred to me that we would make a great reality TV show.  LOL

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

December is just too busy!!  It zaps the holiday spirit.  At least, the house is decorated, but I had to remove the wreath from the door.  The glittery apples (yes, apples) cracked, and the glitter was falling off in chunks.  Now, there are angels on the door.  Yes, I already had the angels.  Don't you know it!

I saw a guy this morning who was driving a car with a huge menorah attached to the roof.  He is definitely in the holiday spirit!  Good for him.

Okay, I am going to get back to you with my favorite holiday songs because there are a lot of them and I need to shorten the list.  However, I can tell you right now three songs that I cannot listen to.

2.  Santa Baby

1.  The Christmas Shoes - UGHHH!!!!  Really?  This is a festive song?!  If that's the case, we should turn Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer into a made for Lifetime TV movie.

On to ComPacting.  I think a 2016 budget is a great idea and will work on that.  It just occurred to me that we would make a great reality TV show.  LOL

I like the menorah on the car roof!  I would have agreed with Santa Baby but now that I'm older I'm beginning to appreciate the quality of Eartha Kitt's voice and the meaning of the song.  I heard it the other day and I thought: "Hey, this is pretty good.  Fill my stocking with a duplex and checks?  Hmmm."

I had to go to the hospital today for a class (school really never ends for nurses) and heard a couple songs on the car radio to add to my like list:

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Kenny Loggins

Not a bad version.

And...

Merry Xmas Everybody -- Slade

Ah, Slade.  Did Mott the Hoople ever record a Christmas song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apoFZv5J6xo

Honored Contributor

I cannot get enough of the Christmas music!  Lemme add two more to my like list:

2000 Miles -- The Pretenders

Ring Out, Solstice Bells -- Jethro Tull

If that song doesn't get you fired up for the holidays, you have no pulse.

Honored Contributor

Magic 99.5 keeps playing Dreams of Fireflies (Trans-Siberian Orchestra).  How can I not like it?  It's Vivaldi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_QZQb6sVds

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Christmas music - I like the classics mentioned a well, ex little drummer boy,  etc and all the other songs mentioned so I wont repeat what everyone wrote. 

Yesterday, I heard Last Christmas by Wham.  Although, this isn't a "true" Christmas song, I like it.  I will make a note of others. I listen mainly in the car so I a making a note of listening a bit more because it doesnt feel like Christmas at all and trying to find the "mood."

Last Christmas
I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away.
This year
To save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special.

Magic 99.5 plays this a LOT.  It's one I don't mind.  So why hasn't Christmas kicked in?  The other night we had the dog in the car and had to stop at the grocery store.  There's a neighborhood near the store that always does a great job with decorations.  We would always put our old dogs in the car and drive around, looking at all the houses and lights.  Since the current dog was in the car and we were right there, we just drove up and down and enjoyed the show.  I love Christmas decorations.  If anyone wonders if it's even worth it, it is!  We appreciate your effort!

I don't know really why it doesn't feel like Christmas.  Maybe cause I am still in November, the weather has been mild here, just trying to get stuff done, don't know.  I think I am still a few weeks behind mentally. But, yes, I love the decorations, so pretty to look at. I appreciate everyone's for sure. That is a lot of work. 

Respected Contributor

@dosey wrote:

2.  Santa Baby

I think I am finding a lot of songs I can't listen too any longer.  Ones I haven't minded before but I guess after decades of listening to them, now I change the station. It is so funny, one of my girlfriends always hated the Rudolph song and I never understood why. Just a cute fun kid song.  However now, if I hear about his very shiney nose one more time, I am going to scream. 

Honored Contributor

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year -- Andy Williams
Sleigh Ride – The Ronettes

Two more good ones!

Aprilskies, every year I say the same thing: It just doesn't feel like Christmas.  I wait for the spirit to kick in and it doesn't happen.  Then all of a sudden something just does it for me.

This year is different.  I put the wreath on the door back in November and I'll send out cards next week.  I'm actually enjoying this season.

I woke up this morning and made a cup of tea, looked up and thought the house was on fire.  The rooms were glowing orange.  I ran to the front door and saw the most amazing sunrise!  One of those New Mexico skies that take your breath away.

It'll kick in!

sky