Honored Contributor
On 7/7/2014 PAlady said:

Just bee - Time to clean out the shoes, I can't say much though, I have 3 shelves of pumps in my shoe closet and I don't think I have worn half of them. I used to work in an office 17 years ago and then became a Supervisor in the plant. Well when I went to the plant I had to wear steel toe shoes, so of course the pumps never got worn again. I think I will keep the black pair and donate the rest. If I haven't worn them for this long, I probably won't be wearing them anytime soon. Guess the Youth Hone near me will be getting more bags of stuff donated to them. Good luck on cleaning out the shoes.

Maybe part of me is waiting for the 80s to return. I'm still holding on to my Rude Dog sweatshirts.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

I've been using the "one until it's done" method for my makeup and have come to another revelation. I am perfectly happy using the same thing everyday IF it's the only one of its kind. But if I know I have others in the stash (multiple colors of blush, lipstick, eyeshadow, etc), I don't enjoy using the same one. Just knowing that I have others in the stash makes me want to use the others. But if I'm down to the last item, for example I only have one eyebrow product, I am totally satisfied with it. Therefore, the only solution to being finicky is to get rid of the variety. {#emotions_dlg.blush} It's as I always suspected, too many choices!

Honored Contributor
On 7/8/2014 Oshare-girl said:

I've been using the "one until it's done" method for my makeup and have come to another revelation. I am perfectly happy using the same thing everyday IF it's the only one of its kind. But if I know I have others in the stash (multiple colors of blush, lipstick, eyeshadow, etc), I don't enjoy using the same one. Just knowing that I have others in the stash makes me want to use the others. But if I'm down to the last item, for example I only have one eyebrow product, I am totally satisfied with it. Therefore, the only solution to being finicky is to get rid of the variety. {#emotions_dlg.blush} It's as I always suspected, too many choices!

I totally agree! Too many choices in every area of our lives. It's great to have them but it can also be overwhelming. One must commit to something and limit the choices.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Shoes are very hard to let go. If I have worn a pair of shoes until they look awful, I can toss them. If a pair turns out to be so uncomfortable that I cannot wear them, I can donate them. The shoes that fall in between stay. If they are out of style, they stay because they will eventually be in style, again. If they are a type of shoe that is worn infrequently, they stay. What does this mean? I have too many pairs of shoes!!!!!

I have been thinking about the minimum number of shoes I need and have decided that two colors would be enough. Black and nude. How about one pair of pumps, sandals, and loafer/ballet flats in those colors. And, of course, walking/running shoes and a pair of athletic slip on shoes for kicking around. That should be enough. Yet, I cannot part with shoes. Why not?

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

Oh, yeah. A pair of pool shoes and my amusement park/going-to-be-walking-my-tush-off-on-a-field-trip-or-vacation shoes.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

My "beauty" purchases this year: Lumene CC cream, shampoo and conditioner, Paula's Choice facial cleansers, and pure grace spritz. These were all purchased to replace used-up products. Looking at this in print makes me think that this is a lot even though these are regularly used products -- staples like tea, bread, salt, pepper.

It's July and I'm done with replacing staples. I have plenty of all of the above and I won't need anything else until the end of the year when I buy my annual supply of mascara.

I still cannot believe how much stuff I have. Lotions, shower gels, eye liner and shadow, lip products. Why did I ever think I needed more than two shower gels?

Oh, wait -- I just thought of something I'll need to buy. Baby wipes.

But I had lip color and shadows I never wore until I bought new eyeglass frames. Now I'm using them again and I'm wearing some really ancient bare minerals on my eyes. Exactly how long does a pot of mineral eye shadow last? And to think there was a time I considered buying these in every color. I have two tiny pots and I'm certain they'll be here after I'm gone.

Stop before you shop. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Trusted Contributor
I wish I had tracked how long it took me to use up my mini jar of mineral veil that I just finished. It was the same size as their loose eyeshadows. I used it to set my under eye concealer and it seemed to last forever! I have two more mini jars in my stash, which I got either as freebies or part of a set. Now when I see that a set I'm interested in has a jar of mineral veil, I don't buy it knowing how long it took me to use up one. About five years ago I gave away my entire collection of Bare Minerals eyeshadows and blushes because I could not stand the mess. And I knew I would never be able to finish any of it. I have rediscovered the brand in pressed form but am very careful about what I buy. I don't ever want to go back to that place where I had such a collection of it. I have a list of my stash and what my end goal is. Everything from body lotion to nail polish. Right now I have 115 items. My goal consists of 57 items. I used to have over 300 items when I first join the ComPact. This list has really saved me when I am tempted to buy something. I check the list and sure enough, I have something similar. No need to buy. Put it back on the shelf or delete it from my cart. Step away from the products.
Honored Contributor
On 7/12/2014 Oshare-girl said: I wish I had tracked how long it took me to use up my mini jar of mineral veil that I just finished. It was the same size as their loose eyeshadows. I used it to set my under eye concealer and it seemed to last forever! I have two more mini jars in my stash, which I got either as freebies or part of a set. Now when I see that a set I'm interested in has a jar of mineral veil, I don't buy it knowing how long it took me to use up one. About five years ago I gave away my entire collection of Bare Minerals eyeshadows and blushes because I could not stand the mess. And I knew I would never be able to finish any of it. I have rediscovered the brand in pressed form but am very careful about what I buy. I don't ever want to go back to that place where I had such a collection of it. I have a list of my stash and what my end goal is. Everything from body lotion to nail polish. Right now I have 115 items. My goal consists of 57 items. I used to have over 300 items when I first join the ComPact. This list has really saved me when I am tempted to buy something. I check the list and sure enough, I have something similar. No need to buy. Put it back on the shelf or delete it from my cart. Step away from the products.

Smart! That's why taking an inventory is so important. And we have to get everything out of hiding where we can see it.

Respected Contributor
Omgosh, BE, dont even get me started. I think I may just need to weed this out myself. Besides the foundation, I have barely used any of it. Those little pots were just too much to deal with. There is no way I am going to use it all either. I havent even touched mu in over a year now. I need to start wearing some of it again. MU has been a complete waste for me. I wish I invested in handbags instead. At least those you can try and resell.
Contributor

Just Bee and Dosey,

Thank you for your responses. I've been out of town so I have missed a week of everyone's inspiration.

Just Bee, You sound just like me. I wish women's clothes could be picked out by waist and length. My daughter and I complain all the time about worthless pockets. If it can't hold a dollar bill and a tube of lip balm - what's the point. I have found a few places online that have longer jeans. My daughter needs a 37 inch inseam. Tall women's shirts are tougher to find. I have been accused of wearing shoulder pads at times when I wasn't, it's just my swimmer's shoulders.

Dosey, I know exactly what you mean about someone's comments. My sister had a friend that made a comment about me having straight hips and flat bum when I was a teenager. I still remember what she said and where we were standing. I try to not be like that to others. Unfortunately, my children have heard it too because my son is very thin and my daughter is very tall. I'm still amazed by grown men who don't know us commenting on her height. Most women don't say anything but they do look at her feet to see if she is wearing heels. (She isn't.)