Contributor
On 1/23/2014 just bee said:

February is a small month, so start with a small room! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Sign me up for the February ORC. I have been watching room organizers on Youtube to get some ideas. I have been scoping out storage options at different stores in preparation.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor
On 1/25/2014 Dosey said:

Kathie66 - The Chocolate Bar palette was one of the palettes that I was interested in. I looked at it at Sephora and wasn't wowed. It is pretty, but I counted the colors that I did not think would look good on me (too warm or too dark). There were several. That would make the palette more expensive than it already is. I crossed it off my list along with two others. Now, there is just one palette that I want (Too Faced Boudoir Eyes). Maybe I'll be able to talk myself out of it. (I am trying to talk myself out of a lot of things!!!)

Thanks Dosey!! I have not ventured into Sephora to look at it yet. Love the other Too Faced palettes too. I hope seeing the Chocolate Bar will lessen the want. Hopefully its similar to some I already have, or that I'm not wowed by it like you. Thanks for your honesty, much appreciate the reminder to try before you buy!!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Contributor

I have really done well and haven't purchased makeup, clothes, or other non-essentials this month. I am also starting the ORC project early. I collected 7 bags of clothes out of my dresser and closet over the past couple days. Honestly, it wasn't terribly difficult. I still have plenty, but these were all things that I haven't worn in well over a year and just weren't items I foresee me using any time in the near future. I will sort through shoes next. This is another challenge that will take some time, since I have so many! However, there are some that never fit right and should have been returned. They are like new, and I am sure will make somebody very happy.

What I have found interesting this month is that I really haven't wanted to purchase much. I am a big coupon user, and there have been some wonderful sales at the drugstores and Target. The items would have been very inexpensive, but I haven't wanted to buy them. I look at what I already have and realize I don't need any of it, so I didn't buy it. I am sure there will be another sale whenever I need something.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Trusted Contributor
On 1/25/2014 Alleighssun said:

I have really done well and haven't purchased makeup, clothes, or other non-essentials this month. I am also starting the ORC project early. I collected 7 bags of clothes out of my dresser and closet over the past couple days. Honestly, it wasn't terribly difficult. I still have plenty, but these were all things that I haven't worn in well over a year and just weren't items I foresee me using any time in the near future. I will sort through shoes next. This is another challenge that will take some time, since I have so many! However, there are some that never fit right and should have been returned. They are like new, and I am sure will make somebody very happy.

What I have found interesting this month is that I really haven't wanted to purchase much. I am a big coupon user, and there have been some wonderful sales at the drugstores and Target. The items would have been very inexpensive, but I haven't wanted to buy them. I look at what I already have and realize I don't need any of it, so I didn't buy it. I am sure there will be another sale whenever I need something.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I found the same thing happened to me too. I found it so much easier to do a no-buy, even with all the after Christmas sales. I realize that I accumulated a lot of the stash by thinking that it was on sale and I was actually saving because I was going to use it eventually. Ironically I had to toss so much that I "saved" on. I never got to use it before it went bad.

I'm almost at the one year mark with the ComPact and it has really started to become a lifestyle for me. I'm shopping more mindfully and only for what I need. It's not recreational or therapeutic for me anymore. I able to enjoy my products and belongings more and actually can buy gifts for others without hesitation. Before I'd really feel bad buying gifts because I had already spent on myself unnecessarily. Now I feel joy to buy for others.

I also get ready faster in the mornings since I don't have to experiment and try to use everything I own everyday.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} DH is impressed. Even DD noticed. When they were shopping for my Christmas gift, she told DH not to get me makeup because I'm trying to use up what I have. Now that makes me truly happy.

Respected Contributor

Well, one room is decluttered. I started with what appeared to be an easy room, but it took me all afternoon. I cataloged household items donated in a spreadsheet, sorted through boxes of documents and removed personal information before putting in the recycling bin, and tore apart 3-1/2" diskettes. I recycled everything that I could, donated the rest, and will take the magnetic disks to work and process through our media shredder. The bits of paper with personal information will also be shredded.

Next up is the living room/dining room duo, which I hope to finish today.

Respected Contributor

Hi everyone!

It's so nice to hear how well everyone is doing so far this month. Your stories inspire me to keep motivated too.

I was really looking forward to the Skinn shows this weekend because I really want to try his products, especially his cleansers, which I will need in the next month or two. When I heard the TTV had cleansers I had to check it out Friday night. The only problem was, I don't want the other products that come in the kit. So I would be spending almost $60 on the TTV just to try the cleansers. So, I passed. In a way I'm glad, but I'm also kinda bummed about not getting the cleanser. I just can't justify that much money right now on something that I don't actually "need". So, I'm scoping out the internet, trying to find another cleanser that I want to try, either something from the drugstore or maybe Paula's Choice.

It also helped that I worked a 12 hr shift yesterday and didn't get to watch any of the shows. It's so easy to get sucked in by their sales pitches. I'll be busy today too, so I probably won't watch today either.

I'm still tempted by all the e.l.f. goodies though, especially that Beauty Bundle that they're offering. I'm holding out until I use up at least a few products so that I can maybe "justify" replacing some of them. There are just so many cool looking new products on their website. When I first started buying e.l.f. their selection was much more limited, but now there is so much that I want to try! Maybe in a month or two.

I'm trying to decide which room I want to start in for decluttering in Feb. Maybe my bedroom closet. Or one of the kids' bedrooms. They seem to collect the most "stuff" and need to be purged most often. Or the loft/office. I hate paperwork. Decisions, decisions.

Honored Contributor

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor
On 1/25/2014 NetteJ said:
On 1/24/2014 MMim said:
On 1/24/2014 kns110 said: I fell off the wagon. I went to Belk and saw they just added a Laura Mercier counter. I really like her makeup so I stopped to look at the new spring palette. I didn't see the sales person, but she got me to sit down and try some things. The palette looked great on me so I bought it. The good news is, I didn't buy everything I saw and I had my reward certificates which were double today, so I got the palette for free. I am dragging myself back on the wagon now...

kns110, 24 days of no spending is good. And, it sounds like something you will use and enjoy. And it sounds like you were thoughtful about your purchase. Maybe there can be a trade off, a way to reduce your stash?

ITA. You actually won this battle, because you now are making purchases thoughtfully. You said that before you would have bought everything, but you didn't, Look at how much money you saved yourself, and your stash. Good job.

ITA with MMim and NetteJ. It was free. Now, find something you can let go, and it will be an even trade.

You've done a great job. This no buy was much harder than I thought it would be. One free cosmetic isn't bad at all. Smiley Happy

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor
On 1/25/2014 kathie66 said:
On 1/25/2014 Dosey said:

Kathie66 - The Chocolate Bar palette was one of the palettes that I was interested in. I looked at it at Sephora and wasn't wowed. It is pretty, but I counted the colors that I did not think would look good on me (too warm or too dark). There were several. That would make the palette more expensive than it already is. I crossed it off my list along with two others. Now, there is just one palette that I want (Too Faced Boudoir Eyes). Maybe I'll be able to talk myself out of it. (I am trying to talk myself out of a lot of things!!!)

Thanks Dosey!! I have not ventured into Sephora to look at it yet. Love the other Too Faced palettes too. I hope seeing the Chocolate Bar will lessen the want. Hopefully its similar to some I already have, or that I'm not wowed by it like you. Thanks for your honesty, much appreciate the reminder to try before you buy!!

You're welcome. Everytime I go to a store to see a color cosmetic that I want and end up crossing it off my "want" list after seeing it, my discovery is reinforced that I have no business buying color cosmetics before seeing them in person. Now sometimes I end up loving what I see (TF Boudoir Eyes). However, I also find that if I make myself wait before buying it, occasionally I decide not to get it. Or something more important arises, like a car repair or the $125 calculator my DD will be needing for Algebra, and I use the money for that.

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

Dosey, I just found out that two whisper knits I had on waitlist since July 2013 are shipping. I am not going to cancel them, because they are two items I really want. Instead, I am going to release two more items from my spring wardrobe once the whisper knits arrive and I have had the chance to make sure the color is good for me. And I agree, the no buy has been harder than anticipated.