Super Contributor

Re: ComPact 2014 -- December

I just read through this thread and really enjoyed it. I really need to do what you all are doing. I really don't have a big "stash" but I do have a habit of trying things and then not using them up before I'm on to try another new thing. My weaknesses are mostly skincare and makeup with skincare being the worst. I usually end up tossing the partially used products I don't care for. I'm also tired of kits. While, I did a lot better in 2014, I still ended up with things I'm not using. I'm going to try hard to only order what I need. I'm fine with eBay and I've already started buying from smaller companies where I can get a good deal and great customer service. Should I make a list of what I need or I guess I should say want to use? After all, I don't need skincare and makeup to live. LOL. I really feel like for me, I'm better off sticking with products I like instead of making myself use stuff I don't like. I'm fine using some stuff on my body but really don't have a use for makeup I don't like. I appreciate any suggestions:-) just bee - this is a great thread that I can tell you put a lot of thought into. Personally, for me, the more help, the better. I really hope you continue your thread. I think the title of the other thread is what caught my eye. This is the time of year we are all thinking about how we want the next year to go. Hopefully, it will be a great year for each of us:-)
Respected Contributor

Just bee, I really think you should keep this thread going. I haven't posted as much on the BB in General over the past month (busy!!), but I've read when I can. Also, I haven't had much positive to post,because I bought quite a bit. (I'm hiding under the table now). Good news is, hubby and I are making some MAJOR changes in 2015, in numerous areas of our lives, and I think this Compact will continue to help me, and others! I think I knew the changes were coming, so I snuck in a few items before the end of year (shhh! Don't tell hubby! -- ok, he really doesn't care. Smiley Wink ). He and I are both super excited about what the new year brings, and starting fresh and new. I think this thread helps us to do that each time we fall off the wagon, and also to keep us ON the wagon. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

Bumping for Bluebelle to read.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

Dosey,

Nice to see you too. You have been missed. My prayers and positive thoughts are sent to you and your kids. Don't know what you are going thru, but if you ever need to vent, talk, or some kind words please don't hesitate to ask. I'm here. Sending you strength and a big hug. Kathie

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Respected Contributor

Hi Dosey, Welcome Back!!! So glad to see you. We have missed you!!!!!

I am sorry to hear that things haven't been going so well. Know that I will keep you and your kids in my prayers and hope that 2015 proves to be a better year for you and your family. Sometimes life throws us a curveball but we are here for you as you are ready to face 2015 head on. Never hesitate to ask for anything you need on this thread. <<<<<<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>>>>>

As far as products, I hear you. I havent purchased too much mu lately but skincare and, yes, I find it the same ole same ole story and now have many more bottles to deal with. So, back to same mission of using up and reevaluating. MU can be even a little bit more disappointing because sometimes you want a little something to play with and it doesnt live up. No worries though, I am sure there will be another little palette around the corner that sparkles. hehehehe

Trusted Contributor

Another vote to please KEEP THE COMPACT GOING! I don't post often, but do keep up on reading all the suggestions, tips, successes and struggles. It is working for me! Purchases are now thoughtful, and not just made on a whim. At the suuggestion on another thread about organizing closets, I organized by short sleeve/long sleeve, then by color so I could see how many black tops I have all in one place and know I really don't need an 11th long sleeved black sweater! I now have a few boxes to take to Goodwill this week. Thank you, just bee, and all the posters for this thread Smiley Happy
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2014 just bee said:
On 12/30/2014 beautybee said:

Hi everyone! I really like what you said, just bee: It's never been about stopping the shopping -- it's more about changing the way we shop. Changing the way we think about shopping. Changing the way we create the environment in which we live.

I recently purchased a few jackets from ebay. I lost some weight and wanted something nice. I found some at a great price. The thing is, I will wear them frequently and I recently donated several other things. So there is a balance. I also recently straightened out my makeup drawer and while I don't have a whole bunch of makeup, I use what I have because I can see it all there!

I like the compact name. There is a group from San Francisco I believe who formed a compact based on simplicity and against consumer culture. Don't know if this thread name is derived from that (?). But in any case yes, I think those of us who are drawn to this thread think about our material items on a different level. To say I am not buying anything is like saying I am going to never eat (insert decadent food item) again.

Hope everyone has a great New year and I'm looking forward to Compacting on 2015.

The ComPact was chosen because our goal was to compact our stashes and simplify our lives. The word is also a play on the compact -- that little mirrored thing we peer into. We peer into our heads here. There was discussion, way back when we started, about the San Francisco thread, but our goal has never been about shutting down the economy. Shopping isn't evil -- we need stuff. But a lot of what we buy isn't needed. We all have collections whether they're lip glosses or shoes or books or stacks of paper. The question was why do we continue to buy more of what we already have? How many pairs of red shoes do we need? How many shower gels? How many grey sweatshirts? Why do we buy the same things over and over again? And why are we especially vulnerable when it comes to toiletries and cosmetics? Why can't we find that handful of products that work and stick with them?

It always puzzles me when I see a thread in which someone has finally discovered her holy grail cleanser or shampoo, and then a couple months later she has a new holy grail product. Are we that fickle?

Today I did a mini-purge and there was something satisfying about that. One by one...

You both hit on a point that needs to be emphasized, I think. It's not about not buying at all. Or even completely not buying what we don't need. It's also what we don't need, won't use, and end up not even liking in the end--but we paid for it and feel we're stuck with it, whatever 'it' is.

I think our modern society is so geared to a 'you are what you have' attitude. Yes, it's always been like that to some extent, but I think in the last several years it's gotten much worse. The advent of credit cards for the masses, kids killing other kids for their shoes, simply clicking on a little picture on a screen and possessing some 'thing'. I could go on and on.

It's all so tempting, but in the end, for me, anyway, most of it only brings frustration and stress. As I age and find all those I loved slipping away from me, the reality of "you can't take it with you" really hits home. The more I simplify my entire life, not just the purchasing aspect of it, the happier or at least more peaceful I find myself.

Thanks to all the posters of this original downsizing thread, and to justbee for keeping it (and therefore, us) going--even those of us who are not regular contributors.

Happy New (Simpler) Year, everyone!Smile

Valued Contributor

On 12/30/2014 just bee said:

Looks like a new thread is starting for 2015: SIMPLIFY 2015. If it takes off and you ladies would like to "switch," I will discontinue the ComPact. I've already discontinued HEP -- there won't be a January thread.

Just Bee, this is the time of year when everyone sets their goals or resolutions. I think the Simplify thread caught a lot of attention because it has a catchy name, and many people don't realize what the ComPact thread is about. I think Dosey has a point about adding a little note in the monthly title to let people know we are "paring down", not buying compacts.

I see Simplify is going to be a weekly thread, in that way it reminds me a little of the "What Did You Use Up This Week" thread, but hopefully with support and encouragement, and maybe finding out the "why".

I don't choose to switch, I came along right near the end of the Mona Dahl thread and have been here since. This is a great little "family". I love the fact that I can come here, tell you all my embarrassing stories, and I'm never made to feel ashamed. I love the support and encouragement I get here.

But I will probably be on the Simplify thread as well. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Hopefully it will have useful tips and lots of support as well.

Is a combined thread in the future? Maybe "co-hosting" alternate months? Or would that be more confusing than having 2 threads? (Just tossing ideas around).

Dosey, please know that I'm thinking of you and your family.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Contributor

Hi all, and Happy New Year! 2014 was a wonderful year for me and my family and I'm just planning to keep on keepin' on. Had to buy larger pants (again {#emotions_dlg.blushing}) so I have a few pairs but I basically just wear jeans anyway. Got into a program where I have free hot yoga, and DH and I are drinking green juices most days so hopefully I can shrink out of the pants into the prior size where I have plenty. Surprisingly, I like fewer choices in clothes. Sort of a Project 333, only I wear what fits, lol.

I have only one spare handsoap (since bath and body has agreed to test on animals when necessary I got one large Dr. Bronners bottle and will use some soap and mostly water in the BBW foam dispensers), one spare shampoo, and of course the makeup. Can't imagine how many pans I hit! And my jewelry? yes, I bought some (mostly fake, and one was a silent auction fundraiser for the homeless) but have gifted more--and sets instead of breaking it up! One by One like Just Bee says. Please keep the thread going--I read way more than I post. and thank you Bee for always being there and being encouraging. Now go slather your hands with lotion!!!!

Valued Contributor

Well, I got the tallies from my 2014 Stockpile Spreadsheet. Here's the good & bad in a nutshell.

Increases:

We gained 146 toothpaste/mouthwash. No, we didn't buy these. We were given many, many boxes. We've given away and donated alot, and will donate more.

My hair products increased by 1. I'm a sucker for shampoos, conditioners and cleansing conditioners.

Decreases:

Net reduction in candles: 14

Net reduction in facial products: 23

Net reduction in body products: 34

And that's the way it is. Smile