Honored Contributor

This was something I saw on-line the other day and probably some of you saw it, too.

It said if you want a nice, light flush of color that looks natural and not over-done, to use a creme blush and then apply your foundation.  Has anyone heard of this or done it?  I don't see how you keep from smearing the blush all off if you put it on first and then the foundation????  It had me intrigued though as I have a hard time getting blush to look natural on my fair skin, which at times flushes.  Thanks!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Blush before foundation???

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

This was something I saw on-line the other day and probably some of you saw it, too.

It said if you want a nice, light flush of color that looks natural and not over-done, to use a creme blush and then apply your foundation.  Has anyone heard of this or done it?  I don't see how you keep from smearing the blush all off if you put it on first and then the foundation????  It had me intrigued though as I have a hard time getting blush to look natural on my fair skin, which at times flushes.  Thanks!!!  

@AngelPuppy1   This sounds iffy to me. I'd think rather cream foundation or a powder, it would remove, fade or  smear the blush underneath. There are many ways IMO to get a natural looking blush with the right product and shade if you use it on top of your foundation. 

***Try placing your blush high on the cheek sweeping upwards into the temple area...not on the apple of cheek. Then if flushing occurs, it's not in the same area of the flush. Also a lighter shade of blush may be the answer or try a pink w/ a bit of coral of it. Let me know if you try this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't see how it would work with creamy types either. I can see it with powder, though.  Lately I've been using an inexpensive cream blush and setting it with a powdered blush.  It lasts all day when I do that. When I accidentally got a little heavy handed I used some powdered foundation to tone it down and it actually looked quite nice so now it's become routine sometimes. A little powdered foundation on a fluffy brush also helps to diffuse where contour & blush meet or where bronzer is applied and seems too obvious.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of putting blush before foundation @AngelPuppy1 . 

Super Contributor

I recently received an e-mail from Bare Minerals about "Underpainting Technique".  It suggested you put your highlighter, bronzer, and blush on first.  Let it dry down, then lightly or stipple apply a light/ sheer foundation.  Then finish with Mineral Veil.  Seems like extra work, I may try it when I have time to play.

Trusted Contributor

@TerryNJ wrote:

I recently received an e-mail from Bare Minerals about "Underpainting Technique".  It suggested you put your highlighter, bronzer, and blush on first.  Let it dry down, then lightly or stipple apply a light/ sheer foundation.  Then finish with Mineral Veil.  Seems like extra work, I may try it when I have time to play.

Goodness, I'd have to set my alarm 30 minutes earlier!

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Yes.  I saw this technique illustrated many years back by then Smashbox rep/artist Holly Mordini (sp.?).   Couldn't quite wrap my head around it, seemed like more work not to diminish the blush altogether then to correctly apply blush  and blend properly.  
Maybe it can work for some if they prefer that application.

Honored Contributor

Blush under foundation makes no sense; maybe she was trying to tone down a blush that was too bright.

Honored Contributor

Nope.  I have naturally flushed cheeks and my foundation covers it.  I don't wear full coverage foundation either.  If your blush is too bright, try a lighter shade and a lighter application.  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

The technique is called under painting and it's been around for a few years that I know of. I've never tried it and it doesn't sound like something I would be interested in trying.