Respected Contributor

Re: Best Way to Apply Foundation or BB Cream

i squirt foundation onto the back of my hand (a pea size amount is enough to cover my whole face) and then i apply with my fingers (most of the time) or once in a while i use a flat top brush or a beauty blender.

Esteemed Contributor

For me, it's the IT Cosmetics double-ended brush.  I have several.   

I don't like any of the IT makeups, but their brushes are the best.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

When I use my tinted moisturizer, I apply w/ fingers over my sunscreen. If spots need to be touched up, I use my foundation stick with a concealer brush and then tap in to blend.

If using my Bare Minerals powder foundation, the IT foundation brush (the one with large end and smaller end) does the swirl/buff as well if not better than the BE brushes and are not as scratchy to me. 

Respected Contributor

Bought the blender sponge and it made a huge difference.  I think, because you wet it and ring it out, the little extra moister with the bb cream and dabbing it instead of spreading it changed how it looked on my skin.  I don't know that I will go back to a brush.

Deb

Honored Contributor

I've been using Lumene CC cream for years and I apply it with my fingers.

A key word that appears on the thread is pea-size.

The amount you use is as important as the method of application.  No, probably even more important.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@FastDogWalker2 It's fun to feel fancy with brushes & sponges, but fingers are just fine. 

I get the nicest, evenest application with my fingers.

Also..brushes/sponges need cleaning!!..I'd never feel they were clean enough! My fingers have been fine since the 60's...lol! Can't beat the price either...Woman Very Happy

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Valued Contributor

It depends on the foundation. I used Nars all day luminious foundation and the best application was with my fingers.  

I now use Bobbi Brown liquid and stick foundation and I find that a flat top brush works well. The Beauty Blender sponge works great with the liquid, but not the stick. 

Honored Contributor

I apply a pea sized drop to the foundation brush & start from under one eye to half my face, then repeat with a 2nd drop on the other side of my face. Then I use a 3rd pea sized drop & do my nose & around my mouth & chin with that. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

On the very rare occasions I use a liquid/cream foundation, I apply with my fingers...just dot, dot, dot all over my face from a pea-sized amount in my hand, then blend.

Mostly, though, I use Laura Geller Balance & Brighten, which I apply with an inexpensive powder puff. Gives better coverage that way for me.

Once in awhile, I'll use a mineral foundation from Meow Cosmetics, which I apply with a flat-top IT Cosmetics brush (best flat top ever, IMO!). 

I'm not nearly as meticulous in my application with any of them as some of you are...I just want it on, and done! My makeup philosophy is not to look "flawless", just "less-flawed". In other words, I don't really try to cover anything up, just dim it down a little.

Super Contributor

@wishmoon use same technique as you.  For a dewy look, add a drop or 2 liquid repair sserum to foundation mix and instead of using foundation brush use a powder brush with a swirling motion.  Dip powder brush in foundation getting a small amount on brush head and start swirling!