Honored Contributor

Re: Best Way to Apply Foundation or BB Cream

Most foundations I apply with a foundation brush.  I put the product on the back of my hand and then use the brush.  There are a few foundations I have used that don't blend well with a brush.  You can see brush marks/streaks.  In that instance I go over my face with a blender sponge and never buy that foundation again.  LOL  

Respected Contributor

I have just given up on them completely.  Those cream foundations in a compact are impossible to get the finish right. 

Respected Contributor

I use my fingers.  I use just one pump about the size of a pea for my whole face.  I've used Chanel Healthy Glow Foundation for years.

Years ago I tried sponges and brushes but it just wastes the product.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

I have tried brushes and those spongy things - never looks quite right.  How do you apply your product?  Thank you!

I wish I had a better answer for you because I know how frustrating it can be, but the answer is that it really depends on the product and the look you want to achieve. There's no one best way.

Some do better with fingers, some brushes, and some sponges. Usually, you will get lighter coverage with a sponge than with a brush. I usually like sheerer coverage with a damp blending sponge.

I think most work better if you apply lightly and then build up, but others don't build up well.

One thing that really comes up for me is that it does not matter what foundation or application method I use, nothing looks good if I got lax with my skincare. If I don't exfoliate regularly, don't moisturize well, and allow myself to get dehydrated, even my favorite products and application methods will fail until I get back on track with my skincare.

I'm going through this now because I'm recovering from an illness and I have to do a presentation for the entire executive team next week. My plan is to spend this weekend exfoliating and sheet masking and then using a lactic acid serum every morning and a hydrating sheet mask every night until my presentation. 

Trusted Contributor

I use my Doll 10 rotating brush. I love it. You just but a dab of foundation and blend it seamlessly . Looks beautiful.

Respected Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 It's fun to feel fancy with brushes & sponges, but fingers are just fine. 

I get the nicest, evenest application with my fingers.

Valued Contributor

I use a flat head brush which came with PTR's CC cream. Works with any foundation.

I took my 16 yr old granddaughter shopping for make up as a Christmas gift and she wanted to go to Ulta. I arranged for a consultant to apply the makeup and give her a make over. It was such fun and she looked beautiful after. Of course, Grandma paid a zillion dollars for all the stuff but it was worth it.

Since my granddaughter has very pale skin and is a red head, the consultant chose a CC cream which looked beautiful and natural. The Consultant choose Laura Mercier tinted moisurizer with 30 SPF 30 sunscreen. It looked beautiful on her skin.

It was applied with a flat brush initially and then gone over with a damp sponge. She told us that a sponge is the best but it must be damp. Wet it and ring it out. Use it when applying any foundation or CC cream. First blend with a flat brush and then the sponge.

I have used sponges but never wet. So I learned a lesson. I use the flat brush and then smooth it with the damp sponge. BTW, I love this Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. I bought a tube for myself because it has SPF 30 and feels so nice on my skin.

Honored Contributor

I apply with my fingers.  I mix a couple of other products in with my foundations, rub them together to mix, and then pat it all over my face and rub it all over my face.  I finish by buffing with a dense brush.  It's a dupe of another brush I can't remember the name of.  No waste, and I get a nice finish if I do say so.   I wipe the brush off on a wet rag immediately after to avoid buildup of any product, but never had a problem with it.  

Since I'm mixing products, I really don't feel I would get a consistent look with a brush or beauty blender.  

Honored Contributor

I don't use BB or CC creams, but I have a LOT of foundations. If I get them here I try to use the brush that comes with them. For others I try, I use an old Prescriptives blush brush that an MUA who knew what she was doing once recommended. It's been washed a bunch and still works great! Lots of times I too will use my fingers! The makeup artists my DD is friends with are currently raving about the Anastasia brush A30. I've got to try that. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I squeeze out a dab of IT/CC on my wrist, then using my middle finger, I

TapTapTap tiny dots along my cheekbone area (brown spots!)

then lightly blend it in.

As a Boomer, I’ve never worn face foundation simply because of the 

FEEL. ..ugh.

My DDs used to harangue me to “make yourself up “ or “at least use 

eye shadow!”, but I simply did not have the desire and washing face/brushing teeth/hair was enough....UNTIL NOW!

A few months ago I let my DD dye my hair. (The past few years I was using 

BOLDIFY products to “hide” thinning areas).

My DD persuaded me to try hair dye......against my better judgement.

But, enjoying the “bonding experience” we were having, I let her do it.

(plus she trimmed/evened out my dead ends).

Now, my once naturally wavy brown/auburn hair, which had natural color variations, is a SOLID MEDIUM BROWN.

The waves/curls are gone.

Then my DD got her BB cream and dabbed a bit on my brown spots.

I will admit that I was pleased when I looked in the mirror. I had EVEN TONED skin, which made a huge difference in my self esteem.

At first, the sight of no random grey hairs along my temple was a relief.

But once I realized the dye chemicals ruined my natural waves forever,

I was very unhappy.

My waist-length waves are gone. I’ve never used hair instruments/gels/sprays, etc., so I just keep it clean and often put it up in a ponytail! 

Unfortunately she used a #3 PERMANENT DYE, and not a #2, which eventually washes out. 

Anyway, I AM grateful to discover a product to disguise my spots that I don’t “feel” on my face. IT cosmetics MATTE CC cream works best.

The ILLUMINATIONS CC cream is too sheer for me.

The lady who invented IT applies the CC in the same way....TapTapTap and blend with fingers,

good luck