Respected Contributor

Re: Best Blush and Eyeshadow for Over 65

@kate2357 What product did you just buy?

Some of the shadow sticks are too dry, mostly ones that are matte. The shimmer ones are a bit creamier & kinder on my old eyes.

The less expensive sticks (But, not always.) seem to be thicker & they will not look as nice on.

Then you adjust the color however it looks prettiest on you!

I typically pull the color up through the crease, but not always. 

Sometimes I pull the color towards the outer half of the crease.

You can also use a soft matte or satin powder on the upper crease to conceal any texture on the eyelid. 

I may brush my bonzer across the upper crease to add a bit of warmth & mask that texture that I have there.

I can't do anything shimmery against my lash line, either. That area isn't smooth. So I use the shadow & then do a matte liner along the lashes.

You don't have to give up makeup if you still want to wear it. There are a lot of things you can do.

Just eyeliner, if you don't want to do lid color, works, too.

Respected Contributor

@patticakes Rare Beauty & Nars liquid blushes are lovely on. They are very pigmented & one drop usually works for both cheeks!

I do love Fenty Cream Blush. They have great colors, but they don't dry down. They stay a bit more moist which may work for your skin.

LIpstick would work the same. Tap a bit on. Blend it out. Easy & pretty.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 

I bought the Ulta eyelid primer based on a rec from the board. They also had a 4 color eyeshadow in neutral colors - I haven't opened that yet. But there was a free sample of very pretty eyeshadows - they seemed to me to not have much pigment to them and were very drying. I may play a bit more w/ just putting some color near on lower lids, do a bit of a liner & mascara and see how that works. 

I really don't know how my eyelids got to be so crepey ... been this was for almost 20 year (I'm 64 now). The rest of my face is not as old looking as my eyes look w/ eyeshadow. Scary old looking. 

Thanks for your tips and suggestions. I may play a bit more w/ the powder eyeshadow and if that doesn't work, wander over to Ulta to look at some Bobbie Brown cream eyeshadows.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

Any suggesstions for blush and eyeshadow for aging skin?  I don't like how my current powdered blush is looking kind of dry and accents aging skin; and while I prefer powdered eyeshadow, I don't want something heavy and cakey looking but more sheer. is there a brand that caters to older skin?

@patticakes  I would first address yiur skincare and make sure you're doing everything there to cleanse, exfoliate, treat, and moisturize.  Maybe add some specialty treatments here and there like a moisturizing mask.  When it comes to the makeup, I'd recommend hydrating primer. I have a good amount of  IT Cosmetics and Laura Geller blushes and shadows, but I also have some inexpensive shadows from Revolution and Essence that I like.   IMO, if the skincare is right, you can wear less expensive makeup confidently.  JMO 

Respected Contributor

@kate2357 Did you get the matte primer or the shimmer?

The shimmer may be pretty on it's own.

Do a light wash of one of the neutral shades (If it's more matte or satin) through the crease & maybe a little on the outer corner.

Respected Contributor

@kate2357 , when I shadow I am able to put  a decent amount of shadow on my lower lid. I just have to make sure that none of it gets up to the upper part of the lid. I tried to reply directly onto your comment but for some reason the system would net let me. I know it is frustrating to not be able to use the products that we used to use.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know of a brand that caters to over 65 per se.  But I do think there are some changes you can make that can be found in many lines.  Like others mentioned, I, too switched to cream blush.  I think it makes a huge difference,  I avoid powder anything in general.  It just looks so dry.  

I tend to wear very natural make up.  IMO a full face of make up is very aging. I was recently at a funeral with many women in their 60s+. The ones with full faces of make up like a kardashian, looked so much older, than women of similar ages with more natural looks.

Have you looked into the RMS line?  Her cream shadows look very creamy and easy to apply.  I have not tried-- If I ever run out of eye shadow, I will.  LOL

I use cream sticks.  Bobbie Brown, Laura Mercier, Julep all pretty good.  Do you use a primer?  Urban Decay has a good one.  I think they came out with some pigmented primers.  I am not sure if they are still available.  But I think that might be worth a try.

Honored Contributor

@patticakes   I want to add that you need to sign up for emails from Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier for starts.  This way when they offer their 25% off you can take advantage of it.  FYI

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@patticakes - I'm not on Facebook, but Laura Geller's is public. Every Monday she has "Mature Mondays," when Laura and celebrities of that age give advice. You can join her email list and they will send you information about this each week. I don't watch You Tube demonstrators, but I will watch these videos and I enjoy them!  Smiley Happy