Esteemed Contributor

Re: Before and After haircuts

Some of the styles look good shorter but they seem to pile on the makeup which brings out the lines. 

Esteemed Contributor

All of the shorter haircuts make the ladies look better to me! The longer styles can become straggly with no bounce or style. 
            💇‍♀️ 💆‍♀️ 💇

Valued Contributor

I think many of the befores look better. The afters all look like they came straight from the salon. Give the longer styles a fresh blowout, then compare.
Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

Most of the non-celebrities appear much older with short haircuts.  Especially #1 - way too drastic and all of them seem to have better makeup and filters.   pixies are not for me. Cookie cutter hair-dos

@CatsyCline #1 her short hair style could have been so much better of a style .  She has very thick beautiful hair and could have had a much better short  style then just plain straight , no real style .

Honored Contributor

To be truthful, isn't is very offensive to say that someone looks "older" because they ARE older?  Is it a sin?  Must women be ashamed of looking older?

That is offensive to me.  

Trusted Contributor

I think that #1 and #10 look awful!  I've had my hair long, short, and in between.  Chin length looks best on me, followed by long and last...short.  I looked like I was 60 when I was 40  UGH!  I hate those photos.

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

I still miss my '70's shag hair.  My hair was more wavier vs curlier then.  I wish I could find a stylist in my area to give me even a variation of it.  

@roeroe1005 

YES! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Many of the " after" haircuts look very dated....which makes the person look dated also. Why do they think older women must go from one extreme to the other? My hair is a slanted cut...not a pixie and not long. I don't think your age determines what hairstyle you should wear. The very short styles require a lot of trips to the salon to maintain them...no thanks. 

Respected Contributor

I'm growing out a very short layered pixie, similar to After photo number 1. Too short, not very flattering with my saggy chin and neck. Currently it's ear tip length, blunt cut around the bottom edge. It is slightly wavy but without symmetry ie it "does its own thing" which is sometimes frustrating. I blow style with product, then add a light finishing spray. People have told me they like my hair. Never heard that with the super short cut. Which by the way was cut over my ears-never again. To me, the majority of older women look best with more hair not less. The short pixies look dated. A chin length style seems like a good way to maximize whatever type of hair you have. Whether or not that makes you look younger I can't say. Depends on your face, how you dress, makeup.

One more thing, in these after photos I tend to notice how much daily styling will be required. For example showing a gal with curly hair in a new sleek straight bob. That's gonna be a LOT of straightening with a flat iron, products. And the first molecule of humidity will send it right back to fuzz. 

Harmonize the World
Super Contributor

I think it depends entirely with the individual and not necessarily their age group.  I have seen younger women wear a very sleek and stylish short pixie or bob and be gorgeous!  I have also seen some very mature women with shoulder length hair that was beautiful and she exuded confidence wearing it that way.  

When I turned 50 I decided it was my responsibility to cut my hair short because everyone said it was time.  HUGE mistake.  I hated it.  I had a cowlick that wouldn't lay flat, and I felt like I had lost my femininity.  I wouldn't leave the house for close to three weeks!  To make matters worse, my niece had cut it and I thought I had hurt her feelings by being embarrassed!  To each lady, be yourself and be your age.  We can't be young again but we can look and be the best we can be at any age!