Trusted Contributor

Oh my goodness, I finally checked out "Beautypedia" and I feel like a chump for spending the way I do for skin care products!  QVC has turned me into a product snob - thinking that you get what you pay for with skin care - but I see that I can spend a whole lot less and still get good results.  Thanks to my fellow beauty board members for letting me know about Beautypedia and also about Paula's Choice!

Honored Contributor

Image result for ruh roh scooby

lol, just an fyi, prepare to get a bunch of posts that say the following- or at least some version/facsimile of the following:

1.) I don't trust paula's reviews since she also rates her own products

2.) I trust my results, not Paula's opinions

3.) There are alot of ingredients she says are bad for the skin but I've never had any issues so I don't care what she says.

4.) Paula's ratings have lost credibility with me ever since she started her own line and rates all her products as the best.

5.) I use what works for me, regardless of what she says is good or bad.

This are the usual responses but there are several more I didn't list that are said alot.

Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Beautypedia used to be my go-to when I wanted info on a product.  But I now agree with #4 - since Paul started her own line, which she consistently rates the highest, I've lost trust in her and now think that she is obviously biased.  She still has good info but I take it with a grain of salt and specticism.

Respected Contributor

@gonnab wrote:

Beautypedia used to be my go-to when I wanted info on a product.  But I now agree with #4 - since Paul started her own line, which she consistently rates the highest, I've lost trust in her and now think that she is obviously biased.  She still has good info but I take it with a grain of salt and specticism.

I think we all have biases and preferences with beauty products, I know I do.

Honored Contributor

Whether you listen to Paula, your dermatologist, your friends, posters here -  the greatest waste of beauty money is not what you buy, it's not using what you buy.  Too many of us chase some mythical beauty idol and buy far more than we need.

Figure out what you really need and will use, buy what your own wallet says makes sense and use what you buy.  You'll be ahead in the long run.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Whether you listen to Paula, your dermatologist, your friends, posters here -  the greatest waste of beauty money is not what you buy, it's not using what you buy

You are so right!  I got in trouble with auto deliveries, which I never do now, and I don't think I will live long enough to use up what I have.  QVC definitely has some good values on skincare products, but sometime they don't.  The problem with being stacked up on product is that you don't get to try the latest and greatest on the market, without tossing what you have.  I've thrown away enough to realize I need to stop wasting money on expensive creams that are no better than something in the drugstore.  Good luck to all of us who simply want to look our best, no matter what that is. 

Honored Contributor

I subscribed to Beautypedia back when one had to pay to have access.  When Paula made it "free" I was annoyed because I had paid for it.  I was shocked when the company contacted me and offered me the choice of a refund or credit towards a PC product.  Smart woman, that Paula.  I skipped the refund and tried one of her products and I've been a customer ever since.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Paula lost all credibility for me. It's seems a conflict of interest to rate your own products so high in what was originally supposed to be an unbiased format.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor
Ofcourse Paula is going to be bias....she wants to sell her own product. But, the negatively reviewed products from other lines are also how she built her own product line. She built her line with ingredients that she believes are safe and beneficial. So anything that doesn't have those ingredients is susceptible to her negative review. I really like her products (which has nothing to do with the review topic, just sayin'.)
Honored Contributor

I discovered Beautypedia and Paula's choice a few years ago. Nothing has helped my skin as much as her products. Even prescriptions from my Derm did not help.

I still read the reviews on her site especially when new products come out. I also read reviews on these boards and other places online. Then I make a decision if I want to try the product or not. Her reviews are not my only source for making a decision, but I do trust her judgment in many cases, because they are based on scientific research on specific ingredients.  Even then I may buy a product that doesn't work for me. No one product is going to work for everyone regardless of who reviews it and whether that person likes or doesn't like it.