Respected Contributor

Re: Beauty Tips for Arizona?

@ItsME wrote:

Hi Beauties!  I expect to be moving from humid south Florida to dry Arizona next year.  I know that my curly hair will be tamer.... maybe even flat.  But, what impact should I expect it to have on my skin????

I don't use moisturizers here, except under my eyes.  My face isn't dry.  Should I expect my skin to be parched in the desert?  Should I be buying the Isomers H-Pur while it's on sale tomorrow?

You'll be using moisturizers every single day, very likely eye drops for dry eye, hand lotion a lot because your hands will crack and get used to never going anywhere without a bottle of water during the summer months.  I also got nosebleeds my first few months living in the SW.  My DH wasn't bothered with the dryness as much as I was until I got used to the sometimes 0% humidity.  Usually it's below 10% so a big difference from Florida.

Honored Contributor

@ItsME

Lip balm is a necessity -- especially when it's cold, windy and dry.  Chapped, bleeding lips are never a good look. Woman Wink

As for visiting ABQ, May is a good choice (Russian olive blossoms make the city smell like a candy factory) and October is just right for the Balloon Fiesta and green chile roasting.

Come visit!  NM depends on the kindness of strangers.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I’m suffering from nosebleeds at the moment — a real pain.  

Like others said, have moisturizer and body lotion on hand.  I slather a thick cream on my feet at night.

Respected Contributor

I use a body butter after my daily shower & also a leave-in conditioner on my hair or my hair gets staticky & stands on end in the low humidity (I'm in Tucson).  Also, just walking around causes me to build up a charge, so when I touch something metallic like the handle on a refrigerated case at the store or a door handle or light switch, I zap myself with static "bites" that I can actually hear snap!  I use a lot of eye drops, too & my nose dries out & bleeds as others have mentioned.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01

I have to be careful that when I go to pet the dog I don't give him a shock!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aubnwa01

@just bee     I found the same thing with my cat!  She'd come up to be petted & I'd touch her little wet nose & zap her & we'd both jump!

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aubnwa01

@just bee     I found the same thing with my cat!  She'd come up to be petted & I'd touch her little wet nose & zap her & we'd both jump!

@aubnwa01

Yes! Woman LOL  I find myself apologizing a lot.

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@Desertdi thank you for your reply!  Yes, i expect the summers there to be hotter than the summers here.  No hurricanes, but I understand there are dust storms as well as monsoons!

But the sunsets are incredible. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

I will be moving to AZ mid next year as well. Can't wait!!! We visit Az twoice a year and for my hair I use the new Bumble and Bumble conditioning cream (in a black bottle with a pump) and mix with an organic oil from Giovanni that I get at Outpost. I have semi curly hair and it works wonders if I wash my hair, put the stuff in and dry/crunch it in the hot sun - perfect hair!!! For my face I have used Clinique moisture surge in the winter time and during the summer a sperate spf 45 dotted on face and then have used IT cream, hope in a jar ageless line, Dr. Perricone, Tatcha - all have worked well. I just like to try different things so I really don't stick to anything - but these have worked well. AND, drink lots and lots of water, this works the best to help your skin in AZ!!!

Respected Contributor

That’s interesting about the hyaluronic acid.  I use it mixed in with moisturizer at night, maybe I should try without and see if there’s a difference.  I love the lack of humidity. I can step outside and tell when it’s 25% and think how muggy it feels, LOL.

I agree that you’ll just have to see how you react personally. I’ve never needed eyedrops and only in recent years as I’ve gotten older have I needed moisturizer at night over my other products. I do use spf year round, face and body(when exposed).  I always carry a small tube of sunscreen in my car and use it on the back of my hands.