Respected Contributor

Hi Beauties!  I expect to be moving from humid south Florida to dry Arizona next year.  I know that my curly hair will be tamer.... maybe even flat.  But, what impact should I expect it to have on my skin????

I don't use moisturizers here, except under my eyes.  My face isn't dry.  Should I expect my skin to be parched in the desert?  Should I be buying the Isomers H-Pur while it's on sale tomorrow?

Honored Contributor

Re: Beauty Tips for Arizona?

Moisturizers are going to be important, unless you already have oily skin. The water is also hard, I'd get a shower filter which will really help with dry skin from the minerals in the hard water. I use a Berkey shower filter. I'm not in AZ anymore but I've lived all over the SW for a long time. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom Thank you!  I will check into a water filter.  I appreciate the recommendation.

Trusted Contributor

@ItsME - lucky you - I'd leave South Florida in a NY minute!

Good hair days are comin Woman LOL

Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

Definitely lots of moisturizer. It doesn’t have to be expensive to work but you’ll feel it everywhere. 

Eyedrops because your eyes will likely feel drier but using a humidifier is my best tip. Especially next to your bed. It will help your skin and eyes and keep your nose and throat from becoming dry. 

I lived in Colorado for 20 years and every time I visit I am parched within a few days. I’m used to more humidity now I live in the Carolinas. 

Contributor

I lived in Northern Arizona for 17 years.  The climate is very dry with the exception of the summer Monsoon season.  Moisturizer is important and you'll just have to see what works for you once you live there. I would recommend you use your current products when you move and change as needed.   I was on a well and although the water was hard, I just used a good quality clairfying shampoo about once a month.  A water softener is sometimes necessary for extreme mineral situations, but unfortunately the water tends to make your hair flat and skin feel slimy.  We had to disconnect ours because the potassium chloride (which is the recommended product used in softeners) made our plants and trees start to die.  Arizona is a great state to live in and I'm sure once you adjust to the climate change you will be very happy there.  God bless!

Respected Contributor

I live in Az. get a water softner, it's in the garage and all water coming into the house is better because the hard water is bad for faucets. Drink plenty of water & eye drops too. I don't use the drops but my DH does. You will need to use moisturizer & hand cream. So far it's been over 100 days without rain. Good news, you will not need winter clothes. Welcome neighbor!!!!

Honored Contributor

Lived in Prescott when I was ten and I've been living in the high desert of New Mexico since '95.  One word:

WATER.

Yes, you'll want to use moisturizer and lip balm and be careful in the sun, but if you don't stay hydrated with water, it won't make any difference.  I didn't drink enough water yesterday and when I woke up this morning I felt hungover.

WATER.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

You can use your regular products here.   I have lived in both Chicago and Los Angeles......before retiring in Phoenix.   The "big difference" is the scorching summer heat, along with humidity blowing up from Mexico during July, August & September (Monsoon season).   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@ItsME No. Don't get the HPUR. That's just my opinion, but here's the reason for it. In very dry climates you don't want to use hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid normally works by drawing moisture from the air to your skin. But if there's no moisture in the air, HA can't do its job properly and can even start grabbing moisture from deeper in your skin. Transepidermal water loss is bad for all skins, even oily ones. I'd recommend an ultralight oil or lotion to provide a barrier since you don't have dry skin. And of course sunscreen!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr