Respected Contributor

Bath-Body Soap: Beekmans v. Philosophy

Just had an unexpected INSIGHT into the chemicals Philosophy puts in their body/bath soaps.

A week ago I (for the first time in my entire life!) slowly started developing small raised red welts on upper legs and arms/chest. Lot of research. Found out they were hives! Continued to appear each day.

Went through the routine: what had I changed, eaten, worn, differently RECENTLY.

Nothing came up EXCEPT I had just added a new bottle of Philosophy bath/body wash to the shower from my stash. The newest bottle was from Christmas, lots of twinkling sparkles.

The welts were showing up exactly where I would put a handful of soapy foan between my legs, under my arms, across my chest.

Discarded the rest of my philosophy (yes, I realize it might only be 1 or 2 "flavors").

Pulled out a sample Beekman's bar soap (came with an order of lotion). Easy foaming; even though it seemed odd to use a bar. Soothing to skin!

In 2 days, welts gone.

Does seem to me that with the multiple "fun" fairy, twinkly flavors of Philosophy body/bath soap each year, the team must know they add ingredients that could be irritating to the skin?

BE FOREWARNED.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bath-Body Soap: Beekmans v. Philosophy

@1Professor 

Thank you for mentioning this about products with sparkle.✨ 

I can't use them either regardless of brand.😔

Respected Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@1Professor 

@cheriere   Think of all the people who give the fairy-sparkly ones to children!

Threw it all out because I am not supporting a beauty company that KNOWS and doesn't warn.

Trusted Contributor

@1Professor    I have always been a fan of the Philosophy brand ...but I am moving on.  
The fragrances are weak and the bath gels are not what they used to be.  I now use Beekman bar soap exclusively.  Never thought I would be using bar soap again...but I really love it.  I'm a Beekman customer for as long as they are in business.  

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@1Professor 

@cheriere   Think of all the people who give the fairy-sparkly ones to children!

Threw it all out because I am not supporting a beauty company that KNOWS and doesn't warn.

I hadn't even thought of that, but you're exactly right!  I'll bet it isn't safe for kids at all.

Respected Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@1Professor    I have always been a fan of the Philosophy brand ...but I am moving on.  
The fragrances are weak and the bath gels are not what they used to be.  I now use Beekman bar soap exclusively.  Never thought I would be using bar soap again...but I really love it.  I'm a Beekman customer for as long as they are in business.  

@Mombo1   The wee sample Beekman bar soap was the only thing I had to use! Loved how easy it was to apply.

(I had recently bought thkeir lotions, which is why I received the "sample.")

Just ordered a set of 3 Beekman bar soaps on your thoughtful endorsement!

Respected Contributor

I have been using Beekman Soap for years now. I love it. Beekman makes my skin feel so good. I use many of their other products, Bloom Cream is another of my favorites. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't been a fan of Philosophy's bath/body wash for a few years.  All the scents seem to smell like plastic to me not what the scent is suppose to be.  I love Beekman & Korres so much better.

Trusted Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@Mombo1 wrote:

@Mombo1   The wee sample Beekman bar soap was the only thing I had to use! Loved how easy it was to apply.

(I had recently bought thkeir lotions, which is why I received the "sample.")

Just ordered a set of 3 Beekman bar soaps on your thoughtful endorsement!

@1Professor   I think you will be happy.  There was one fragrance that I really liked...Ylang Ylang and Tuberose.  Unfortunately it is retired, but I stocked up.  Believe it or not, I did find it at our local hardware store that carries a variety of Beekman soaps.  
I like most of the others they currently have at QVC and HSN...  Actually, my little

granddaughters are very happy that I gave up on the philosophy bath gels.  They slowly "borrow" them to take home.  🤗

Honored Contributor

I have never tried any of Beekmans products, dont want goat milk in my products but I can tell you they are sulfate free and I assume dye free. Phil is loaded with sulfates, and artificial dyes, I have not bought it in several years. That also eliminates Korres and Perlier, with sulfates and dyes in Perlier. Good brands with no dyes or sulfates to try are Nakery, Love, Beauty Planet, Andalou, Alba Botanicals, Pacifica., Josie Maran.