Occasional Contributor

OMG !!  About two weeks ago I went to my hairdresser for a haircut.  She cut it dry with a razor.  I have very fine thin colored hair and now my hair looks like straw the ends are all frizzy.  I tried shampoo for frizzy hair and it hasn't helped.  I never had this problem with her cutting my hair before. I  will for sure not be going back there.  Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can use to take these frizzys until I'm ready for another cut?

Honored Contributor

Re: Bad Hair Cut

[ Edited ]

first thing I tell hairdressers is NO RAZOR CUTTING!!!!!!!  It does ruin your hair.  You might try using a product for dry split  ends to help smooth them out for a few weeks until you get your hair trimmed or cut... then she can cut off those razor  cut ends with scissors.

Trusted Contributor

John Frieda Frizz Ease works great. Younwash/condition/your hair as usual. Pump two dabs of Frizz Ease into your hands, rub hands together and then tousle it into your wet hair or comb it through. Dry hair as you do normally with blower or not. 

I’m not convinced that your fine hair is frizzing as much as the  ends razored blunt while dry just don’t lay flat. It might be why no frizz shampoo doesn’t work. It isn’t really frizz but it looks it. But if it’s that, Frizz Ease will make you much happier and it’s easy to get everywhere.

I would have stopped my hairdresser as soon as she started using a new technique and reminded her that’s not how my hair is usually cut. Perhaps she thought you gave tacit approval by allowing her to continue, though she should have asked even before proceeding. 

It takes about 6-8 weeks to really grow out a bad haircut, so you’ll get thru it ok.  It’s annoying, but hair grows back and bad styles can be mended. Why not stop in and show her the results of her folly while it’s unacceptable and let her know your displeasure. If she’s cut your hair before with no problems, and been giving good service but for this blooper, give her a chance to undo her experiment by a proper cut next time. 

Hope Frizz Ease gets you through it.  Here are some other tips if you are not cheering up quick enough:

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/how-to/a33187/how-to-defrizz-your-hair/

Esteemed Contributor

@sillycat

We can all sympathize in knowing what you are going through.  We've all been there -- some more than once.

I had a stylist "texturize" my fine hair AND razor cut it.  What a hot mess it was.  

Perhaps some styling product -- a balm or cream -- would help tame the ends.

Honored Contributor

@sillycat

Perfect hair Day (PhD) fresh cut split end menderphd-fresh-cut-pdp-top.jpg

Honored Contributor

If your hair is still long enough, about an extra 1/2” to lose, when it happened to me (just once 😜), I went to someone else and had the razored ends clipped off w/ scissors. Sometimes the frizzy, damaged, split ends will just travel up the hair shaft. Cut ends off if possible. 

In meanwhile, deep condition and use a gel style pomade as finishing product to kinda stick ends together & create piecey look.

Honored Contributor

Yup just take some scissors and cut off those razor cut ends. Walla! Problem solved. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bad Hair Cut

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

first thing I tell hairdressers is NO RAZOR CUTTING!!!!!!!  It does ruin your hair.  You might try using a product for dry split  ends to help smooth them out for a few weeks until you get your hair trimmed or cut... then she can cut off those razor  cut ends with scissors.

ITA...... learned that lesson way back in my youth.  Who ever thought razor cutting was a good idea was batcrap crazy.

Best thing is that it will grow out.  Sorry you had to go throught it.  It will take about 3 months.

eta that you can go back to a different hair dresser every 6 weeks and tell them of your trauma and ask for super mini trims with blunt layers.

Respected Contributor

Oh gosh that is my hair, thin, baby fine..The first thing I say when I sit down for a hair cut, is NO razor on my hair, because a long time ago I had your experience..

I just kept getting very frequent trims til I had the razor part gone, but it took a bit.

Honored Contributor

@sillycat, first let me say how sorry I am that you have gotten a bad haircut. After reading this I am glad that two stylists talked me out of trying this! I really can't add more than others have, hopefully it will grow back fast. Good luck with your next stylist.