Trusted Contributor

BEST SELF TANNER YOU HAVE USED?

I have tried so many self tanners and just can't find one that gives a good tan color (don't want to glow) and one that lasts for more than a day. I tried the St. Tropez and it has a tint of green to it and the smell was so overwhelming. I also tried the original Bare Minerals and didn't like that one either but now I see the one with the brush, does anyone know if the formula has changed? I liked the color of Sun but the color would just wash off after taking a shower. I tried Tan Towels and I had that wonderful Orange glow! Anyone remember Faux Tan on HSN from years ago? Of course I liked it but then they stopped carrying it. So, I would appreciate any suggestions or your favorites. Thanks.
Occasional Contributor

Re: BEST SELF TANNER YOU HAVE USED?

Thermalabs.....you can get it on Amazon. AMAZING, (just my opinion of course) and seriously no smell. Plus it moisturizes your skin because it has vitamin E and avocado oil in it. If you try it let me know what you think.

I QVC would carry it (hint, hint) so I could get it on auto-delivery.

Honored Contributor

My fav is Jergens self tanning lotion. I use the one for light skin since my legs are glow-in-the-dark-white and it gives them and the rest of me just enough color.

Frequent Contributor

I have given up because of that nasty smell. I think there have been some mentioned on previous threads but nothing has been odor free on my skin until the color was also gone.
Honored Contributor

I still like tan towels best of all (there was a learning curve to smooth application) and I have tried nearly everything I've come across.

For me, the Jergens stuff was one of the worse for smell and blotchy orange color after about 6 days when any color starts to show.

I liked St Tropez for my legs but not the rest of me and even with meticulous exfoliating it would build up if used regularly.

Vita Liberta was also good for a couple of weeks but built up in certain areas no matter what I did.

Couldn't stand the smell of Faux tan and it didn't give me an even tan.

There was no drugstsore brand that was any good on my skin but Sally's did have one that was discontinued about 5 years ago that was the greatest - no smell or buildup and a natural smooth color. I never found anything as good.

I liked SS's organic tanner but it also showed a buildup and the color wasn't that great if used steady.

The Tarte one didn't last very long - only about 2 days looking good and when applied again wasn't always a smooth look.

I usually use St Tropez every other week on my legs and tan towels on my upper body and face and on my legs when not using St Tropez.

I tried so many that were just horrible smelling and gave awful results over the years.

I have also seen great looks on others of some of the ones I didn't like and the smell varies for each person due to their own body chemistry. In the end it's what each finds that works for them.

Super Contributor

BE's Faux Tan is HANDS DOWN THE BEST!!! Gives the perfect color skin color of an olive complected person! Like you just got back from 2 weeks vacay. I don't know what you mean when you say the color comes off after a shower. That's the color guide and it's suppose to come off. What's left behind should be a nice looking tan. Never orange. No smell. I faux tan at night and then shower the guide off in the morning. Perhaps you're not leaving the color guide on long enough hence you're not seeing results. I also use a mitt to apply faux tan and not the brush. I have it down to a science. Takes me 7 min. the most! NEVER streaky. Lasts up to 7 days on me.
Respected Contributor

tan towels. I exfoliate first w/Salux cloth, dry well and apply. I get just enough color that I don't scare children and small animals and my DH isn't in shock if I wear shorts. For me, easy; this is new for me b/c I usually embrace my pale natural self.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/16/2015 TrailBlazer05 said: BE's Faux Tan is HANDS DOWN THE BEST!!! Gives the perfect color skin color of an olive complected person! Like you just got back from 2 weeks vacay. I don't know what you mean when you say the color comes off after a shower. That's the color guide and it's suppose to come off. What's left behind should be a nice looking tan. Never orange. No smell. I faux tan at night and then shower the guide off in the morning. Perhaps you're not leaving the color guide on long enough hence you're not seeing results. I also use a mitt to apply faux tan and not the brush. I have it down to a science. Takes me 7 min. the most! NEVER streaky. Lasts up to 7 days on me.
Thanks. I'm assuming you are referring to BM Faux Tan? Do you know if the formula has changed since it first came out? With a few tanners I have tried the entire color was gone after showering. I know it's supposed to be that only the top guide comes off but, after showering I had no tan at all.
Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for BE Faux Tan. It's long lasting, looks natural, and doesn't rub off on clothes if I'm out in the hot sun later in the day. I usually apply at night after a shower. I let it dry before going to bed and wake up with a great tan. I like the brush applicator because it helps me get even coverage. I use circular motions when applying because long straight strokes tend to create streaks.
Respected Contributor

I am a long time fan of the TAN TOWELS PLUS, to get you to the dark shade quickly. They are double strength.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield