Honored Contributor

BB Face Base Causing Breakouts??

As rich and emollient as this product is, does anyone think it could cause breakouts?  I have one on the side of my nose and one on my chin.  This is very very rare.  The Nars foundation and the BB Face Base are the only two products I've recently added that goes on my face.  I don't think I'v ever had a foundation cause a breakout and this foundation is supposed to have good for your skin ingredients.

Valued Contributor

Re: BB Face Base Causing Breakouts??

Yes. I believe this face base does cause breakouts. At least it did for me. I looked up shea butter because I read this is an acne causing ingredient. I did find out that indeed shea butter can cause clogged pores and breakouts. So, after my skin cleared, I am hesitant to give it another try even though I have a brand new jar to use up. It surprises me that so many love this product and have not spoken of the breakout issues. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

As rich and emollient as this product is, does anyone think it could cause breakouts?  I have one on the side of my nose and one on my chin.  This is very very rare.  The Nars foundation and the BB Face Base are the only two products I've recently added that goes on my face.  I don't think I'v ever had a foundation cause a breakout and this foundation is supposed to have good for your skin ingredients.

@monicakm 

Of course it can cause breakouts .... have you noticed the number of ingredients in makeup products lately?  Yikes!    All those chemicals and ingredients means sooner or later something is going to irritate our skin. 

The real trick is identifying which ingredient in that long list is the irritant ....

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

Well, I don't have to figure it out.  I won't be using it again and it's going back.   Thank you ladies.  I don't know why I keep thinking I need to try other products when what I'm using is working just fine Smiley Surprised

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm  Have you changed anything at all in your diet recently,  dairy products or specifically low fat dairy products?  They are a big cause of acne in women,  the manufacturing process to make it low-fat or nonfat changes  the estrogen in the product which causes breakouts.

Besides shea butter,. coconut oil derivatives in beauty products also cause skin problems.  Maybe check the ingredients for that one too.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

@monicakm   The BB Vitamin Enriched Face Base has shea butter if you have reactions to that ingredient. It and allBB moisturizers act as primers, as well. I've used this on myself and others and for a decade or more and only very few women have had breakouts. 

Your issue may be a combo of the Fase Base and your foundation or you could be one who's sensitive to face base.   

This is the line's #1 moisturizer, so try it again.

Valued Contributor

@monicakm 

Morning ! Yes it can cause breakouts . Before I went cruelty free I used Bobbie Brown esclusively . I was always given samples of it or it was in gift with purchase.  I have oily acne prone skin . It did break me out . Shea Butter can definitelty clog pores . If you check out the ingredient list there are citrus oils (grapefruit , limonene ) are also irritants . Here  here in NYC   we have to wear masks at work , church etc. so that also can irritate skin 

Respected Contributor

@monicakm Use the Nars by itself & see if you break out. Then try the BB by itself. They would probably both break me out, so I would have to test both.

It's the only way to know which is breaking you out.

I get so tired of playing this game. I am way too old to be dealing with zits!

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm , I would just toss the BB Face Base or give it away. I have no patience trying to find out exactly what irritates my skin, easiest to not use it anymore.

When are you having your knee replacement? I thought that it was this month.  

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

When you first posted about this moisturizer/primer I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer but I had a significant break out problem with it. My mistake was I kept using it and it began to really play havoc with my usually clear complexion. Thankfully, my skin cleared when I stopped using it @monicakm .