Valued Contributor

Re: Are Suzanne Somers skin care and cosmetics tested on animals?

On 3/17/2014 KittenShopper said:

If you ask a question at shophq.com about her products be prepared for a canned-type response. If you go to the suzannesomers.com and e a question I got a very nice, accurate, detailed response about her products. The Rain scent is impossible to describe. I am VERY sensitive to all perfumes, scented products after being pesticide poisoned. I found the Rain scent very strong at first, but it grew on me. I ADORE her cleanser, toner, moisturizer and haven't tried others yet that I have- waiting in the wings. Wouldn't use anything else since I discovered all the research on personal care products. I highly recommend these products for anyone who has been diagnosed w/i types of psoriasis or skin issues and is freaked out about what to try. Looking forward to her continuing line of make-up as well. I admire what she's doing. USDA certified toxic-free and $ even w/i s/h better than what I have found on-line, or at Vitamin Cottage or Whole Foods. Not an easy task to find pure skin-care products. Actually it's downright scary to realize what's in our products. Go for it! I plan on trying more of her items and look foward to her every two mo. visits on shophq. hsn blew it when they let her go!

Do you also like her hair care if you have tried it?? Very interested in trying her hair care and her beauty products and do they work?

Contributor

Sorry BetseyDoodle- I haven't used them yet. I am a VERY slow starter to use new products and am still using up my Acure shampoo and conditioner! I've become very cautious in starting any new personal care product, supplement etc. and do one thing at a time. Then I assess. Her prices go waaaaaaaay down at the time she is on air and many items are put into package deals, so I haven't tried alot of the stuff I have now! Was using an expensive brand before I found out about ingredients and it made my eyes absolutely burn...and switched to Acure which smells great and is pretty "clean". Next up onto the SS products. All that hair care product is pouring all over the rest of our bodies so it pays to get rid of the toxic stuff no matter how good it makes our hair look. The body attached to it is more important! You are motivating me to get with it and try it and quit seeing it on my shelf!

Super Contributor

I've looked at each of the products and the ingredients in the skin and hair care line and haven't been able to find any that are animal derived or synthetic.

Most of the ingredients that are made in labs, especially "chemical" compounds and testing has always been done for synthetics, have at least once in their lifetimes been tested on animals prior to market.

In regards to Suzanne's line, I would be truly shocked if she would let anything pass into her products that are currently being tested on animals.

Regular Contributor

On 3/18/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/18/2014 Lovely2 said:
On 3/17/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/16/2014 bunsnpigs said:

Her products can't be on PETA's website since she uses milk and whey in her protein shake powder. The ingredients are also not organic, which I find hypocritical.

re: animal testing, the American and National Anti-Vivisection Societies is always advocating the use of alternative testing. Some amazing advancements have been made in this area. Also, you can check out cruelty free on their websites, too. Animal testing is horrible, cruel, and many times does not truly show how any particular drug or procedure will work on humans. It makes me sick. I support these organizations in their efforts to find another way.

http://www.navs.org/cruelty-free/overview

If you talking about PETA's list of cruelty-free companies, that refers only to testing. It doesn't refer to companies that have some animal-derived ingredients, like milk. And in her defense (HappyDaze knows how difficult those words are for me) Wink, I doubt that any cruelty was involved in deriving either the milk or the whey.

Depends on what you think about the calves who are taken from their mother shortly after their birth, if they are unlucky to be born a boy. And what happens after that.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

But just the act of milking the cow is what most people think about when obtaining their milk. I'm afraid I am way into so much of the other things involved with animals. It's why I am so strongly cruelty free.

I had no intention of wading into this except to point out that a cruelty-free list of companies refers ONLY to those companies who are not associated in any way with the testing of animals; it has nothing to do with animal-derived ingredients.

I respect your right to do what you think is best. I make my own decisions and have no desire to debate those decisions with anyone else.

I'm very sorry to have offended you. My only purpose here when a cruelty free thread comes up is to jump in and learn all I can. I wish for no debates, only information and a kinship with like minded people who want cruelty free in their lives as much I do. With people who love and respect animals as much I do. Again, sorry.

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2014 Lovely2 said:
On 3/18/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/18/2014 Lovely2 said:
On 3/17/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/16/2014 bunsnpigs said:

Her products can't be on PETA's website since she uses milk and whey in her protein shake powder. The ingredients are also not organic, which I find hypocritical.

re: animal testing, the American and National Anti-Vivisection Societies is always advocating the use of alternative testing. Some amazing advancements have been made in this area. Also, you can check out cruelty free on their websites, too. Animal testing is horrible, cruel, and many times does not truly show how any particular drug or procedure will work on humans. It makes me sick. I support these organizations in their efforts to find another way.

http://www.navs.org/cruelty-free/overview

If you talking about PETA's list of cruelty-free companies, that refers only to testing. It doesn't refer to companies that have some animal-derived ingredients, like milk. And in her defense (HappyDaze knows how difficult those words are for me) Wink, I doubt that any cruelty was involved in deriving either the milk or the whey.

Depends on what you think about the calves who are taken from their mother shortly after their birth, if they are unlucky to be born a boy. And what happens after that.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

But just the act of milking the cow is what most people think about when obtaining their milk. I'm afraid I am way into so much of the other things involved with animals. It's why I am so strongly cruelty free.

I had no intention of wading into this except to point out that a cruelty-free list of companies refers ONLY to those companies who are not associated in any way with the testing of animals; it has nothing to do with animal-derived ingredients.

I respect your right to do what you think is best. I make my own decisions and have no desire to debate those decisions with anyone else.

I'm very sorry to have offended you. My only purpose here when a cruelty free thread comes up is to jump in and learn all I can. I wish for no debates, only information and a kinship with like minded people who want cruelty free in their lives as much I do. With people who love and respect animals as much I do. Again, sorry.

No offense taken at all, Lovely2.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

On 3/19/2014 KittenShopper said:

Sorry BetseyDoodle- I haven't used them yet. I am a VERY slow starter to use new products and am still using up my Acure shampoo and conditioner! I've become very cautious in starting any new personal care product, supplement etc. and do one thing at a time. Then I assess. Her prices go waaaaaaaay down at the time she is on air and many items are put into package deals, so I haven't tried alot of the stuff I have now! Was using an expensive brand before I found out about ingredients and it made my eyes absolutely burn...and switched to Acure which smells great and is pretty "clean". Next up onto the SS products. All that hair care product is pouring all over the rest of our bodies so it pays to get rid of the toxic stuff no matter how good it makes our hair look. The body attached to it is more important! You are motivating me to get with it and try it and quit seeing it on my shelf!

KittenShopper,

I am like you in investigating before purchase or trying. I have a chiropractor (who is nothing like a traditional chiropractor) is more pressure points and nutrition. He is into eating whole foods, getting toxins out of your body and environment etc. He has educated me so much in the years that I have been going to him. About a year ago I used Wei East products and after a while he said my toxic load was too much in my body. I'm not saying that Wei East caused it, but along with my inattention to the chemicals in skincare and adding this product, probably tipped me over. That was my first and only use of Wei East products. He gave me whole food supplements to detoxify me and I am much better, really tell a difference. Anyway, I would like to get the gunk out of my hair products and was wondering about Suzanne's shampoo. I am starting with shampoo and will work my way to the other things. Thanks for your reply!