Respected Contributor

Re: Application order for makeup

@HappyDaze wrote:

I have a real basic routine  for makeup application for everyday wear:

SPF (including on eyelids)-->Foundation or BB cream/TM--> eye primer--->eye shadow--> mascara-->eye liner (rarely ever for me too)--->lipgloss

I can't see there being any advantage of doing your eye makeup before foundation. Seems kind of strange order but I don't put foundation on my eyes so?

@HappyDaze, I usually do eye MU first, in case there is any fallout. If I'm using a cream shadow, it doesn't matter. I don't usually have fallout, but if I'm doing a more smokey eye or using more than one shadow and lots of blending, I just find it to be a good precaution, for me. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I do the eye shadow first before the foundation because sometimes the powder falls below the eye onto the upper cheek. If a primer is used on the face, it just brushes off and no color is seen on the cheek area (from the eye shadow).

I put my eye shadow on before foundation too for exactly the same reason.

I use a powder foundation and any shadow fall out is swept away.  

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

moisturizer

foundation(liquid)

blush(cream)

brows(brow marker)

eye liner(top, LG eye rimz, bottom, Korres)

lipstick

Last, I have a tiny red dot between my brows so I use the NYX wonder pencil on that.

I rarely use mascara or shadow. My routine is quick

Esteemed Contributor

It's all personal preference and habit, I suppose.   I have tried applying my eyeliner and shadow first a time or two, but didn't like it.  I'm a creature of habit and do it the same way every time:

Moisturizer (let sink in)

Primer (allow to set for 5+ minutes)

Foundation (swirl swirl swirl with brush)

Lipstick used as cream blush (swirl and blend till it looks like a glow from within - ha) 

Eye brow pencil

Eyeliner (if I wear one)

Mascara

Eye shadow stick (if I wear one)

Loose finishing powder on T-zone

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Everyone I know or have known puts foundation on first.  I'm 55, so less is more these days.  After my primer, I apply my foundation.  Then a little concealor on a couple of trouble spots.  Blend...blend..blend.   I don't use any powder on my face.  I don't use eyeliner either, I don't have large eyes and liner "closes" my eyes and makes me look old and mean.  Sometimes, I use a neutral eyeshadow; I always use lots and lots of mascara.  Lipstick or lipgloss is always the final step. 

@chrystaltree I, too, have small eyes...but I feel exactly the opposite. I think a soft, slightly smudgy line opens my eyes and makes them brighter (I'm 61). I line over the top lashes and under the bottom ones--I never line the rims. Usually use a Mally Colorstick topped with a matching shadow-type liner and smudge it out a bit with a small, blunt-tipped liner brush. I never use a pencil liner anymore. Different strokes and all! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I read that you should always put on your lipcolor before your blush.  Your lipcolor alters how much blush you need.  I always do that.  I think if you have "no" color on your face, you might apply too much blush.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My order:

Style my hair first then go on to makeup..

moisturizer with SPF

primer (sometimes)

tinted CC cream with SPF

eye concealer/highlighter

eyeliner - top only

eyeshadow

eyebrow pencil

mascara - top lashes only

concealer on face as needed

setting powder

blush

lipstick/gloss

Respected Contributor

I always do my eyes first also. Here's my routine:

1- moisturizer 

2- eye primer and face primer ( I use 2 different ones)

3- eyeshadow on a liner to top lids only

4- foundation 

5- concealer

6- setting powder for under eye and where I put concealer

7- contour and bronzer

8- blush

9- highlighter

10- finish my under eye area with the same colors I used on my top lid

11- I take a small amount of powder and blend my contour, blush and highlight and then buff everywhere else.

12- mascara

13- lip liner and lipstick (occasionally I top these off with a gloss)

14- setting spray ( I've been loving 2. My Ben Nye setting spray and my Cinema Secrets setting spray. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you to everyone! Going forward, no need to post your whole routine. Was mostly curious about eye makeup before or after foundation. I ended up working from home today so not wearing makeup. Will try the eyes first tomorrow.
Regular Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
Interesting that you do eyeliner before eyeshadow. I'm not very experienced with liner so I'm up for trying it any way that works!

Rachb, The reason I put on eyeliner before eyeshadow is because for me, it doesn't come off or fade as much as when I put it on top of eyeshaow. It seems like the eyeliner doesn't stick when I put it on over the eyeshadow.