Honored Contributor

😮 Apple Cider Vinegar hair rinse 😮

[ Edited ]

I was on the elevator this evening w/one of my neighbors who was shocked at how fast my hair grew.  She didn't recognize me at first. I use to wear a ceasar cut, sides shaved.  I stopped going to the barber shop last June.  Hair is currently past my shoulders.  My sides are just about to my shoulder. 

She asked me if I used ACV to condition my hair.  I was like Excuse Me?.gif

She went on to explain that when you use it, you message it into your scalp.  It makes your hair grow faster & thicker.  Also stops hair loss.  I thanked her for the info.

Sooooooooo I did some research & found this....

How To Do an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

1.    Blend one cup of water with two to four tablespoons of vinegar to make your rinse.
    2.    After you have shampooed and thoroughly rinsed your hair, slowly pour the mixture over your entire scalp, allowing it to run down the length of your hair (being careful not to get it in your eyes).
    3.    Massage the mixture into your scalp, which will also serve to stimulate circulation and hair growth.
    4.    After one to two minutes, rinse out the vinegar.
If you have dry hair, start out with two tablespoons of vinegar per cup of water. If you have oily hair or dandruff, three or four spoons will probably be required. You can adjust this blend over time to see what works best for your hair.  Repeat this process anywhere from once a month to twice a week – although once weekly is recommended for most hair and scalp issues.  If you’re concerned that you’ll smell like a pickle after this rinse, don’t be! Once your hair dries, the vinegar smell will disappear.

To make sure you’re getting the good stuff, purchase only those vinegars that are labeled organic, raw and unfiltered. These tend to be cloudy, and have a sediment in the bottom, known as ‘The Mother’ – which contains all the bacteria and enzymes that make this product so powerful.

Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar is widely regarded as the best brand and can be purchased from local health food stores.

The full article can be found HERE.

Has anybody else heard of this?????

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 😮 Apple Cider Vinegar hair rinse 😮

I remember that from back in my college days.  I doubt that works but to grow hair but it wouldn't do any harm. 

Valued Contributor

A few years back I was on an all natural kick and was using ACV steeped with herbs as a rinse. It doesn't promote hair growth but it left my hair soft and extremely shiny. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always use ACV as a rinse to take out build up in the hair but not every time I shampoo my hair.  I was not aware it makes your hair grow but I wear my hair short and get it cut every 8 weeks or so.  Cat Very Happy  P.S.  The funny part is I used it one day and was going to my BFF's house for a Barbque.  She told me my hair smelled pretty and her daughter also commented on it. 

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Growing up in Ukraine, and a while ago, we did not have too many hair products to choose from. Actually we had none, when I was very little - just the soap.

So doing the vinegar rinse was a thing to do. Cat Happy  We used regular vinegar though. Boy it was stinky!

Regular Contributor

Yes! ACV is great for the hair and scalp! The organic acv, with The Mother, has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. It is great for those with dandruff/yeasty scalp issues, as well as preventative. Used prior to shampooing, it is a wonderful way to clarify both hair and scalp from hair product buildup, incl silicone products. Used after conditioner, it helps to acidify thehair, making it less porous and increasing shine. For those with dry hair, you can use it after shampoo, and before your conditioner.

For clarifying, I use a 50/50 mix of organic ACV to distilled water,. I keep this in a spray bottle. The distilled water helps to pull mineral buildup from the hair. I spritz it onto dry hair or wet, and on my scalp. I massage it into scalp for a few miutes,and comb through to ends. I leave it on for 30 min,then shampoo and condition.

As a porosity balancer, you can use the above 50 50 solution, or at least use 3 parts distilled water to 1 part organic ACV in a spray bottle. I spritz onto my wet hair after shampoo or conditioner.  Comb. Wait 5 or 10 min. Rinse with cool water.

Organic ACV has many therapeutic uses applied topically, as well as taken internally. Some mix it into water and drink it as a detoxifier. I am not a fan of the taste that way, so I prefer to use organic ACV in my salad dressings, instead!

Organic ACV is also excellent to use with facial mud masks on those with oily skin, or those prone to breakouts. If you have dry skin, you can mix a bit of honey in with the ACV to your mud mask. It gives a nice hydrated, yet firm feel to the skin, and it really tightens the pores. 

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I remember that from back in my college days.  I doubt that works but to grow hair but it wouldn't do any harm. 

I also remember that back in the 70s.  We tried everything.  Beer rinse, egg masks, etc.  I never practiced using these products religiously, but I do remember rinsing with ACV now and then.  We used it for shinier hair.  I never worried about long or thick hair back then because I had it. 

Respected Contributor

Seems to me it would wreak havoc on colored hair.

Frequent Contributor

Hey Sonecko I was going to ask you if you were Ukranian?  I noticed the blue and yellow colors that you are using .  Also sonecko means sun in english

Valued Contributor

I used it a long time ago, but not recently.  I remember my hair still carried that smell after using it. Maybe that's why I stopped.