Respected Contributor

I have an HSI flat iron. It's OK. My hair is naturally curly, so it's a lot of work even with a flat iron to straighten it out.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

Love my ceramic flat iron. Don't use the cheap ones. I use root lifter and leave the iron near the roots about 3 seconds longer. With practice, have learned how to turn the iron to create a curl. Love it. Easy to use and pack when traveling.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I bought mine at Folica. It's a Sedu 1.5 inch, and I love it. It was pricy, but it works well. I think that they all damage hair though. I try not to use mine daily, and I never put it on as high of a heat setting as I'd like. I keep it at 300 degrees max and sometimes lower. I think all of the flat irons are very damaging in spite of how expensive one may be. I find them more damaging than hot curlers.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor
On 1/20/2014 ittyreen said:

What's crazy is - my hair isn't curly. My stylist uses it to get it to bend in the right places and tame the fly-aways.

My hair is straight but with a bit of body on the edges. I sleep with it wet to dry at night and need the straightener to smooth out the bumps from sleeping on it. I also use it to curl and bump the ends under. Just google curling hair with flat iron. There are tons of tutorials and videos. The important part are the plates being movable and rounded at the edges. I have a BabyLiss ultra thin titanium and a Corioliss titanium, which I love both of them. I get small curls from the thin one and fat curls from the Corioliss, which I got for $50 at the other shopping channel on clearance.

Respected Contributor

Sally's or a Folica store will be a great place to learn what kinds there are and lay your hands on some.

Valued Contributor
Definitely do some research. Don't just buy old cheapo at the drug store, often they will burn your hair beyond repair. I bought a chi over a year ago and really noticed an improvement in the ends of my hair. They weren't fried looking. Also the technology behind a better iron is you don't have to over each section multiple times. Highly recommend a chi.
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I've had an inexpensive one for quite a while now. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this one seems to do the trick for me. I use it for touch-ups on the rare occasion that I wear my hair straight --- However, I do have some side-bang pieces that I straighten almost daily. Works like a charm!