Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone here NOT going gray?

Who are you people who hardly have any gray in your 60s???????

A pox on all your houses!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

I'm 66 and my natural color is dark brown. I'm probably about 30% gray. I color mine a medium golden brown, primarily because coloring it changes the texture. It's much more managable. My niece is the same way. She's colored her hair since she was about 14 for the same reason. I chose to go a lighter shade of brown because I feel a darker color makes me look too pale.

Honored Contributor

What is there to be proud of?  Like everything else involving the human body, when and how we go gray differs person to person.    

Valued Contributor

I noticed my first gray hair when I was 27.  I colored my hair for the next 40 years and finally gave up the battle last year.  My scalp was always sore from having my color resistant roots touched up every three weeks because my hair grows so fast. I do feel like I look older this way.Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

I’m silver and foxy 🦊 baby! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

@godi   Me too! I was white in my 40's.....spent YEARS coloring it....trying to hide it.  At 58 I gave up.   Let it go silver.

How nice for those who have REAL natural color after 50!    Very fortunate.  I was not that lucky. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Thebig I wrote:

Now I am not complaining but I am mystified. In my 60's and still have few gray hairs, I see some around my hair line, and back by my neck my hair is still very dark brown. I am sort of proud of that, but also wondering why no grays yet. I highlight with blonde and I toy with going all dark brown but it never ever looks right unless it is exactly my shade of brown which  I cant seem to recreate. I bought a platinum grayish wig, boy does it look fabulous. I am torn about what color to be!

I'll be 70 very soon, and there are very few grays scattered in with my light brown/dark blond hair.  I know this is from my mom's family, because my grandfather didn't gray, and he lived into his early 80s.  Mom's hair lightened in her 70s, but didn't turn gray.  We all have the same hair - thin, baby fine and straight with an dark ash blond/light brown color - like a bunch of clones, lol.  But it sure doesn't get grey. I've lightened mine a shade or two to warm it up since I was 16.  I only do that every 3 months or so and the untreated hair just looks dull brown like it always has - no gray roots at all. I alway feel odd reading about women "deciding to go grey," but it isn't a choice I could make if I wanted to. Genetics can be a weird thing.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I am 67 and have maybe 25 gray hairs scattered in my dark blond hair. Both my brothers have no gray hair yet. I checked both their heads thoroughly at Christmas.

I personally like not coloring my hair. All I have to do is shampoo my hair and I am ready to go. My friends that dye their hair have to worry about getting the appointment to get their hair dyed and the time it takes to dye the hair. I don't want to worry about that.

I hope you enjoy your hair as it is.

Honored Contributor

My sister and I are very close in age.  I have gray, she doesn't.

Honored Contributor

Just turned 61 & wondering the same thing. I have a litte around my hairline. I can also see some strands. It's mostly light brown. I have not put any color on it in almost a year.

DH's hair turned white in his 30's. It's white on top & kind of a salt n' pepper in the back.

Esteemed Contributor

At 62 I have not gone grey.