Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?

@winamac1 wrote:

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@busymomkt wrote:

I love WEN. I use SAM religiously, but I do notice that I get a waxy buildup on my scalp that I can scratch off with my nails. (gross, I know). WEN is great for my hair and it is so healthy, but what about this buildup? Anyone else experience this? I do use A LOT when I am cleansing and really massage my scalp good. I also rinse for a few minutes. Should I try tea tree?

That's why my derm told me that I shouldn't use it.  I have eczema and went into her for some help, and she scratched the film off of my scalp and told me..."no more".  It was putting a film on my scalp.  I'm one of the few who can't use it due to dermatitis and skin issues.  There was a thick build up unfortunately. 

@winamac1, did your derm tell you anything to use to get rid of the buildup but was gentle on hair? I'm looking for something to get rid of buildup on both hair and scalp but that doesn't strip color so would appreciate any recommendations your derm may have given you. TIA

Hi.  Yes, she told me to use Neutrogena shampoo with salicylic acid in it to remove the build up.  I hope that helps.

I have color-treated hair too.  It comes in a failry small bottle--maybe 4 or 5 ounces, and I got it at Walmart.  

Here's what I used:

https://jet.com/product/detail/f22f81fe38ba409cb9c69edcf9e0fee9?jcmp=pla:ggl:brands_jd_health_beauty...Smiley Tongue

This one is another option:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RYYI66/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeA...

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@sonechko wrote:

@Arlosmom wrote:

I get the builup on my scalp also. I use different conditioners besides SAM. I tend not to use a lot, since I have very short hair. I have been using WEN for less than a year. I like the results, but am concerned about the residue.

So you've decided to post on the thread from 03-31-2011 TODAY? Why?

@sonechko...man, you pay closer than I. I should look at post dates before responding. I think some people must bring up old threads to stir up trouble.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

I stoped using Aveda products and started with WEN.  After a few months with WEN I got scalp buildup.  Now I'm back on Aveda and haven't had a problem with scalp buildup for some time now.

New Contributor

I seem to  remember than when liza robertson, was on QVC, she would always

say that if you think you  have rinsed enough, rinse some more.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whether you use WEN or something else, if you start to get scalp buildup and the "itchies", the advice previously mentioned to use a shampoo with salicylic acid is a good one.

I had that issue a couple of years ago from using Loreal sulfate free shampoos and conditioner. I had buildup and itching.  My derm recommended an inexpensive shampoo that was Walgreens brand with salicylic acid and it was alternated with a dandruff Pine Tar shampoo on opposite days and it cured it in a week or so.

Gross but true is that you can get a yeast or fungal infection on your scalp.  They overgrow and feed on your dead skin cells and oils which causes the itching and flaking.  The yeast thrives on the buildup caused by hair products trapping the sebum and dead skin cells. 

Honored Contributor

@busymomkt

I can't wait for Chaz Dean's next visit!

Guess you're excited too.

How was that gallon you mentioned purchasing in June?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@sonechko wrote:

@Arlosmom wrote:

I get the builup on my scalp also. I use different conditioners besides SAM. I tend not to use a lot, since I have very short hair. I have been using WEN for less than a year. I like the results, but am concerned about the residue.

@sonechko...man, you pay closer than I. I should look at post dates before responding. I think some people must bring up old threads to stir up trouble.

No, @SurferWife. I've responded to this thread also in my previous post. I did not notice the timing of the Opening Post.  I guess I am gullible this way too... There was a question raised in the Opening Post - I've responded.

Someone else brought it up this thread was from 2011!  This is somewhat unusual event, since usually they revive the old threads on this same subject, or start new ones, close to or around Chaz visits on QVC. So the revival of the old WEN bashing thread is an unusual occurrence.

But I can say it again - my hair and scalp were never cleaner and healthier since I started using WEN. And getting better and better over time! I can't be happier with this product I use. I like it a lot, actually - I love it!

I truly wish, those who don't like it, just simply don't use it. That's all.

Don't come back to something that you don't like. Be happy and use what you like.

I have MANY products on my list that I won't use. I won't EVEN talk about them. Why should I?

Trusted Contributor

I've noticed a few other really old threads being resurrected recently and hadn't noticed the original date until someone else pointed it out. Why would you not assume that a thread at the top of the page with zero responses was new?  There's a thread in suggestions I think, addressing this. 

Honored Contributor

@busymomkt wrote:

I love WEN. I use SAM religiously, but I do notice that I get a waxy buildup on my scalp that I can scratch off with my nails. (gross, I know). WEN is great for my hair and it is so healthy, but what about this buildup? Anyone else experience this? I do use A LOT when I am cleansing and really massage my scalp good. I also rinse for a few minutes. Should I try tea tree?

Oh my goodness! You actually feel that "WEN is great for you hair and it is so healthy"?? Even when it leaves a buildup of slime on your scalp that you can scrap off with your fingernails?? Really? Wow, just the thought of this gets me ill.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@sonechko wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@sonechko wrote:

@Arlosmom wrote:

No, @SurferWife. I've responded to this thread also in my previous post. I did not notice the timing of the Opening Post.  I guess I am gullible this way too... There was a question raised in the Opening Post - I've responded.

Someone else brought it up this thread was from 2011!  This is somewhat unusual event, since usually they revive the old threads on this same subject, or start new ones, close to or around Chaz visits on QVC. So the revival of the old WEN bashing thread is an unusual occurrence.

But I can say it again - my hair and scalp were never cleaner and healthier since I started using WEN. And getting better and better over time! I can't be happier with this product I use. I like it a lot, actually - I love it!

I truly wish, those who don't like it, just simply don't use it. That's all.

Don't come back to something that you don't like. Be happy and use what you like.

I have MANY products on my list that I won't use. I won't EVEN talk about them. Why should I?

I've stated this many times.  Some do GREAT with WEN and some don't.  It is just like any other product.  I wish I could use WEN.  I think it is better for one's hair, and the models' all look fabulous using it.  I just have so many issues with dermatitis that it didn't work for me.  I itch without WEN, lol.  I am constantly on the hunt trying to find a shampoo or product that doesn't strip color but stops the itch.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"