Honored Contributor
On 6/16/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 6/16/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

From the IT Cosmetics website:

Does It Cosmetics test on animals?

We have never and will never test any of our products on animals. We care certified by PETA as a Cruelty Free Company.

I don't know if you are directing this at me since I mentioned IT cosmetics but I was referring to their avoidance of my questions regarding the source (animal or plant) of several of their ingredients. Since they do use some animal derived ingredients, I now know why they avoided my question as long as they could. I have a hard time trusting companies that give me the run around.

To me, I don't believe any line is "cruelty free" if they kill animals to source their ingredients. Unfortunately, the accepted definition of "cruelty free" does not take into consideration killing of animals for ingredients so many are mislead to think "cruelty free" means no animals were harmed during the making of said product, but that is simply not true.

I don't know for sure, and it's not an issue I'm passionate about, but this could be the case with many companies. I think the general population understands "Cruelty Free" to mean "no animal testing". Where ingredients are sourced from should have a different term so people will know what's exactly meant.

Honored Contributor
On 6/16/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I don't know for sure, and it's not an issue I'm passionate about, but this could be the case with many companies. I think the general population understands "Cruelty Free" to mean "no animal testing". Where ingredients are sourced from should have a different term so people will know what's exactly meant.

No, I believe the general population actually thinks "cruelty free" means no animal derived ingredients as well. You can see many posts on just these forums of people stating that a product is cruelty free so it doesn't contain animal derived ingredients and when you correct them, they are shocked. They typical response is "how can a company claim to be cruelty free when they kill animals??" It happens on many other beauty forums as well. People assume, rightly, that cruelty free means an animal is not harmed or killed in the making of the product.

And I don't know what you are referring to in your sentence "...but this could be the case with many companies." but if you are referring to the fact that IT avoided my question about ingredient sources as long as possible because they were animal derived, then no, that is not typically the case, at least not in my experience. Most companies answered me quickly, even if their source was animal derived.

Respected Contributor

I was just wondering if any of you knew that PTR uses snake venom in their products. At least a couple years ago. There was a person on one of the daytime programs that showed ingredients in some of the beauty products and the last one was covered with a large cloth. When he said this was an ingredient in the PTR brand he picked up the cloth and there was a rattlesnake in a glass aquarium. He said the venom from these snakes are used in PTR's beauty products. I am not sure if that ingredient is still in the product but it is the part called SNAK. He used to even say the snake in his description a few years ago. I don't use his product anymore so I don't know if they still do this. It was in the firming serum. I think it was the purple package.

Honored Contributor

Just curious: To any who won't use products in which there might be ingredients derived from animals, do you make a distinction as to whether there was no harm done in the derivation?

Paula's Choice is an example of a company that clearly states that it does use some such ingredients but that no cruelty whatsoever was involved.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

Since animal testing was done here in the USA as a rule in the cosmetic industry before people realized the horror of it, many ingredients from the past that are still used today have indeed been tested on animals years ago. I do my best on this subject but some older ingredients may be impossible to find cruelty free but yet have not been tested on animals in many years. I do the same with my food, fashion and household products.

Super Contributor

I belong to various animal rights and wildlife groups. They always email and keep me informed on this issue.

Trusted Contributor

I do my best to stay informed and find products that are not tested on animals. I look for the leaping bunny first and foremost. Like issiestorm, I receive info from the groups I belong to.

Esteemed Contributor

"Cruelty free" and "Not tested on animals" are two different things.

Why would anyone want to purchase something that is not tested on a living being? I've seen first hand how beneficial animal testing can be.

Also, the results are rarely as severe as what PETA wants you to thinks.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor
On 6/16/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Why would anyone want to purchase something that is not tested on a living being? I've seen first hand how beneficial animal testing can be.

You are wrong- "non tested on animals" is the VERY DEFINITION of "cruelty free", a least in terms of the beauty industry labeling!

And you are disillusioned if you think the results are "rarely as severe" as what Peta "wants you to think" - either that or just naive or don't want to know the truth of what really goes on. Which is your choice but please don't try to minimize what actually goes on during animal testing.

And why would anyone want to purchase something not tested on a living being? Well, because we CARE about life, be it human or otherwise, and the suffering of our fellow beings. You use WEN- you do realize it was NOT tested on a living being, correct? And yet you still use it and you lived. Also, we are talking about beauty products- animals don't need to die so we can have pretty eyeshadow when it is completely unnecessary.

Regular Contributor
On 6/16/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 6/16/2014 HonnyBrown said:

You are wrong- "non tested on animals" is the VERY DEFINITION of "cruelty free", a least in terms of the beauty industry labeling!

And you are disillusioned if you think the results are "rarely as severe" as what Peta "wants you to think" - either that or just naive or don't want to know the truth of what really goes on. Which is your choice but please don't try to minimize what actually goes on during animal testing.

And why would anyone want to purchase something not tested on a living being? Well, because we CARE about life, be it human or otherwise, and the suffering of our fellow beings. You use WEN- you do realize it was NOT tested on a living being, correct? And yet you still use it and you lived. Also, we are talking about beauty products- animals don't need to die so we can have pretty eyeshadow when it is completely unnecessary.

Bravo, Happydaze. I totally agree with you. Well said.