Respected Contributor

Re: And they wonder why the malls are dying

I hope they dont die out but unfortunately it seems that is the way it is going. I havent been to the mall in awhile but I have gone a few times in the last couple of months. The fabrics to me are just terrible so I didnt buy much in the way of clothing. I wish the quality would get back to quality. I will not pay a lot of money for paper thin fabrics. I dont order a lot of clothes online. I only order online when I know I can take them back to the actual store. I always like to try on clothing first.

I agree about the service, it is almost zilch in some places. You ask them about an item and no one has a clue. It's really sad.

Contributor

I just got back from a wedding in Illinois. My favorite shopping is Oak Brook Center. I was told it's not a mall because you walk outside from store to store as opposed to all under the same roof indoors. It was very busy and had new retailers and restaurants.

Whomever owns this property knows how to make a retail destination.

Trusted Contributor

I don't personally believe that the decline of big, enclosed shopping malls is a sign of a dying culture. There may be other signs of cultural decline, but I think the decline of malls simply reflects changing trends in business and shopping. It's an endless evolution. I remember a few decades ago when the first enclosed malls were The Big New Thing; now that trend has run its course and is coming to an end, at least for now. Online shopping and outdoor specialty shopping centers are growing trends now. Things don't stay the same for long, ever.

It's also important to remember that many cities have major, iconic indoor malls that continue to flourish. Here in Atlanta, those would include Lenox Square, Perimeter Mall, and Northpoint Mall. Some other formerly successful malls are dying.

Super Contributor

I tried getting a job at Macy's in the makeup dept. I was given a battery of tests online just to be told I didn't qualify. I probably know more about makeup than half of their staff but because a computer test said I wasn't qualified I wasn't even given a chance at an interview. The test did not even ask any relevant questions. I hate going to the mall and that pretty much turned me against shopping at Macy's as well.

Respected Contributor

Our only remaining mall is nice enough...as long as you go during the day on a weekday. In the evenings and on the weekends it is a "hangout" for young people who have NO real intention of shopping. They gather and/or stroll in large groups in the common areas, very hard to get around (they will not move), and make rude comments to those who try to pass by. Security is unwilling/unable to do anything unless an actual fight breaks out--which happens with some regularity.

Respected Contributor

Oh man, I thought it was just me who hated malls! HATE! I get in a bad mood just walking in the door! I work in an office building located right across the street from a major upscale mall and the mall appears to be thriving. There's always plenty of traffic, especially Nov-Dec. We our office relocated here everyone was all excited about shopping on their lunch hours. I think I've gone over there once in the last three years.

Super Contributor

I don't like malls either. Crowds, pushy salespeople... I still marginally like going into Sephora but while I was browsing I was asked by literally every single floor person whether or not I needed help. I understand it's their job but I just wanted to browse!!

Esteemed Contributor

Our largest mall killed this cities downtown shopping - now the thug teenagers from the inner city roam the halls and get in fights, pull knives on police, etc. You couldn't pay me to shop there (perhaps with a group; but not alone)

Super Contributor

On 4/16/2014 Golfgal said:

I just got back from a wedding in Illinois. My favorite shopping is Oak Brook Center. I was told it's not a mall because you walk outside from store to store as opposed to all under the same roof indoors. It was very busy and had new retailers and restaurants.

Whomever owns this property knows how to make a retail destination.

Actually Golfgal, before there were indoor malls, there were outdoor malls. I grew up not far from two of the very first outdoor malls in the country--it was a very big deal! When they were enclosed it was an even bigger deal! I agree with Goodstuff that these things are cyclical, and reflect changes in the business model. I believe it has little to do with the malls themselves, and more to do with trending toward online shopping. (I've always been a catalog shopper, so for me it's just an alternate venue!) I predict that sometime in the future, a brand new 'innovation' will be discovered---local downtown shopping!

Super Contributor

The biggest problem in the malls in my area is gangs of rude kids loitering around all the time. It completely closed one down that had been here for years. They try to enforce, etc., etc., but to no avail. Then one becomes afraid to go to the mall for anything other than right to the store they need to get what they want and scurry out again. Also, the last time I went to a mall, the stores didn't have nearly enough employees and the ones they did have were rude - chit chatting with each other and not even acknowledging the presence of a customer. It's a shame really. But I shop on line now. Who needs that kind of thing? Shopping in a mall used to be fun - something that would lead to a fun lunch and maybe more shopping.