Regular Contributor

Re: And they wonder why the malls are dying

One of you stated "...good retail help is hard to find..." I recently applied for a daytime sales associate job at my local mall in a store that has a huge online business, as well as catalog. I was told I would be expected to sell $100 per hour (no commission, but no direct penalty if I couldn't) with at least three items in each sale, lift considerable weight (stock), and climb ladders (displays). I would have to be available evenings (I was originally told it was a daytime position), at least one weekend day each week, and holidays, all for $0.04 over minimum wage! That may be why good retail help is hard to find!

Respected Contributor

Our local mall looks like a ghost town. There are more closed stores than opened. The only decent store there is Macys. Maybe it's the economy and people just aren't shopping as much. The next closed mall to me is about 40 minutes away and there is always tons of traffic. I have been doing much more shopping on line at different sites.

Respected Contributor

On 4/16/2014 lolakimono said:

CBS NEWSMarch 23, 2014, 10:11 AM

A dying breed: The American shopping mall

deserted-shopping-mal.jpg

With the explosion of the Internet and changing shopping habits, hundreds of U.S. malls are expected to close their doors - like the Woodville Mall outside Toledo, Ohio. CBS NEWS

I guess I wouldn't wonder if our mall (Eastview) looked like that; it doesn't.

Smile

What worries you masters you.
Contributor

I'm not much of a shopper, but did go out for a few hours this past Saturday. Hit Dress Barn for 2 tops and a makeup bag. My saleswoman was fabulous! Then onto DSW shoes for flip flops and espadrilles. Again, a good experience! Then went to Target for curtains. I needed 4 packages and there were only 3...took a few minutes but found a sales guy and he went in the back and got me my 4th package. Everyone was nice, I guess I am just lucky!
Regular Contributor

What are we doing with all the extra time that was spent walking the halls at the mall? Are we spending it online? If we are what is the effect, if any, on our health? Do we have more money or do we spend more online than we did at the mall? The death of the mall is effecting our society in so many ways. Where do we meet family and friends today? Restaurants, movies... Remember the days people dressed in their sweat suit and walking shoes to meet at the mall for speed walking? No answers just questions.

Respected Contributor

I still like walking the mall.

But I don't like the stores that make you play the question game. What is your name and zip code? Do you want the receipt by email or on paper? Do you have a loyality card/ store credit card? Do you want one? You'll save $12.00 if you do. Do you want to purchase this special add-on item? Do you know about our friend referral program? Did you hear about the big sale next month?

For the love of G-d! I just want to buy this stinking blouse and be on my way! (I am always polite, though!)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

Shopping isn't what it used to be.

The majority of salespeople I have encountered in the last few months are generally unprofessional and unhelpful. Sure, there are occasional gems in the bunch, but they are few and far between. Having worked retail myself many years ago, I truly appreciate good and friendly service. Shopping should be enjoyable, not frustrating!

A couple of weeks ago I returned a blouse I had ordered online to Talbots. As I expected, the salesperson (who has worked there for awhile) didn't know how to process a return. I find that at that particular store, the salespeople do not know how to do basic register transactions. Usually a manager has to be called in to help.

A few months ago I lingered at a Bobbi Brown counter at Neiman Marcus. It was about an hour before closing time and there was only one person working at the counter. Now that NM has provided all its sales associates with iPhones, where do you think their attention is? The salesperson didn't even look up from her phone, let alone acknowledge me. I would have expected better service from NM. Needless to say, I left the store.

Contributor

I am on an out of town business trip and had to pick up a new blouse, quickly. So, I went to the local mall. I've not been to one in a very long time. I typically do most shopping online now.

I noticed a Grandma, Mother and young daughter admiring a blouse on the display model. I then noticed them looking all over the sales floor for the blouse. I also helped them look. We could not find it. The Grandma went over to the sales counter and politely asked the sales associate where the blouse might be found. The reply was "I have no idea. I'm new." That was it. No further assistance. I could not believe it. This was at Macys in the Boston area. AMAZING.

Honored Contributor

K Mart is famous for their questions. Do I have a rewards card? Yes, but I'm not digging it out for this cheap purchase. Do I want to open a Sears charge? No, Or I'd already have one. No wonder Walmart is beating the stuffings out of them.

Super Contributor

I live in Northern NJ with a bunch of malls. I went last week only because my pre-ordered over the phone with my rep from Clinique. I went to pick it up and my rep wasn't there. So, some girl help me look at some things. I wasn't going to purchase anything, but I felt bad. So, I bought gel liner in purple from Clinique. But, as soon as I said that I buying, she said go to the counter. Well, she disappear and another person checked me out. So, much for feeling bad !!! Never again.