Respected Contributor

All those extra ingredients in beauty products ... I don't want them.

As someone with sensitive skin & allergies, products with additives that really have no purpose other than to make the product sound unique & special as a marketing strategy are a turnoff to me.

My personal definition of a "clean" product is that it contains only the essential & effective ingredients & perhaps a mild fragrance. I don't need or want additives like unusual mushrooms/chemicals/little-known plants/fruits, etc.

I understand that many customers like the unproved additives, & that's great for them.

Most of the products that contain unique additives also don't claim to be hypoallergenic or for sensitive skin ... & they lose customers like me.

I prefer beauty products that leave out the kitchen sink.

Valued Contributor

Re: All Those Extra Ingredients

What is effective and essential might not be for others. The extra ingredients might be for the finished result of the product. I don’t think the companies but extra ingredients just for the sake of it. Many stripped down products also usually don’t perform as well, not all but many.
Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

All those extra ingredients in beauty products ... I don't want them.

As someone with sensitive skin & allergies, products with additives that really have no purpose other than to make the product sound unique & special as a marketing strategy are a turnoff to me.

My personal definition of a "clean" product is that it contains only the essential & effective ingredients & perhaps a mild fragrance. I don't need or want additives like unusual mushrooms/chemicals/little-known plants/fruits, etc.

I understand that many customers like the unproved additives, & that's great for them.

Most of the products that contain unique additives also don't claim to be hypoallergenic or for sensitive skin ... & they lose customers like me.

I prefer beauty products that leave out the kitchen sink.

I get it.  I used to have to be so careful.  I recall somebody on here makes a lot of their own things.  That may be the way to go for you.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily 

I so wish companys would stop putting fragrances in skincare! 

They're just potential irritants and some are extremely overwhelming (I'm talking to you Elemis!).

If I want to wear a fragrance I'll wear a fragrance don't need it in my face cream!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Respected Contributor

@Wsmom  I buy beauty products that are hypoallergenic and for sensitive skin.

Companies that sell what I consider to be "clean" products are the ones that get my business. They don't opt for strange non-performing additives.

I always check the ingredients list in beauty products, and many of them have ingredients like talc, parabens, phthalates, etc. which aren't healthy. And, sometimes an ingredients list looks more like a witch's brew of odd items instead of scientifically proven contents by a laboratory that's not paid for endorsement.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily 

"Clean Beauty" is NOT a regulated term, or any kind of recognized term...it's made up by the cosmetics/beauty industry...you can google that if you wish....It's whatever each company claims it to be. It is NOT a standard that has to be met.

And...think about it....when you hear "clean beauty" ( Like in the Goat Milk, Philosophy, Maran, etc products...that get "drunk into your skin"...

well....all those OTHER ingredients on that label ( aside from, say, the goat milk) is ALSO "drunk into your skin" so I could never understand why companies make such a production about ONE ingredient on a label of 50 of them, many un-pronounceable, being the one that "drinks into your skin".

ALL of the stuff on that label goes into your body when you apply it. I crack up when I hear "goat milk DELIVERY system".....it's "delivering" all those OTHER chemicals into you too!!!!

They sure  don't stay behind and wave goodbye to the goat milk!!!

It's like that Kitchen Aid stand mixer they always claim is "all metal"...as the host raps his/her knuckles on the CASE of the machine ( which IS metal). It's the gears inside the case that run the machine...and some of them are...wait for it...PLASTIC!!!!.

Doesn't make sense!!!

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily 

I understand your need for products that don't irritate your sensitive skin but my eyes got wide when you said you don't mind a mild fragrance.  Personally, I love fragrance in my facial products and aren't bothered by it but it seems like most of the population is (or those are just the ones that make the most noise).  If you are sensitive, I would think the ingredients in the fragrance would be a culprit.  Science continues to progress (thank goodness) and we learn more about elements/ingredients that are good for complexions.  But, I don't see how you can have it both ways...no naturals and no chemicals.  Having said that, I know some ingredients are advertised to tickle our senses and add nothing to the product's usefulness...fragrance being one of them.  

Respected Contributor

@monicakm  I'm not saying that I want it both ways.

There are some safe chemicals that are not allergens and are necessary to hold the consistency of a product together, to keep it from molding, etc. There are some that add moisture. But there are also unsafe chemicals.

"Natural" doesn't mean it's not an allergen or that it's safe. I don't think talc is safe. There are "natural" additives that may be allergens & provide no proven benefit except marketing.

One additive I read on a list was sesame oil. The FDA has added sesame to the list of known allergens & is required to be noted on food labels.

Unique natural additives (flora, mushrooms, ?) might not be tested for allergic effects. The product is then unable to say it's hypoallergenic. I think the more unnecessary untested ingredients that are added, the greater the chance that 1 or more is an allergen.

I'm not allergic to all fragrances. (As a former product developer, I developed an in-house fragrance - a complex process.) It depends on what's in the fragrance.

Too much alcohol in a product can cause a burning sensation for me or redden my skin, along with drying chemicals. I'm not sure what all the other ingredients are that cause that for me.

My dermatologist once told me to look for products that have the basic effective ingredients that are necessary without a litany of those that are not. 

Why would companies limit their market niche by adding ingredients that are not confirmed as safe, that don't work for sensitive skin, or that may be allergens. (Rhetorical)

Honored Contributor

To me it makes more sense to use products which contain fewer ingredients. The skin doesn't 'know' what to do when it's bombarded with stuff all at once. I think it's better to apply fewer effective ingredients at a time and then maybe layer a few more or wait until a later time to apply a different set of ingredients. 

Respected Contributor

My preference for clean beauty products is NO beauty products. Just clean skin.