Honored Contributor

Re: Algenist tinted moisturizer

On 1/26/2015 Serena-1130 said:

OK. I'm new to the animal testing scene. Happydaze, let me know your findings please. I'm actually interested in the tinted moisturizer also and the cleanser.

I looked on Algenist's website and it doesn't say so I emailed them. There are several articles about the company where Algenist reps say that they don't use animal derived ingredient nor do they test on animals but I thought I'd just get the information directly from the company myself, just to be sure. I will post what they say when I hear back!

Honored Contributor

Ingredients for those interested (this is for the light but the other shades are almost identical):

Anti-Aging Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 – Light
Active Ingredients: Octinoxate, Octisalate, Oxybenzone, Titanium Dioxide
Inactive Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprate, Butylene Glycol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, C20-40 Pareth-3, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Steareth-21, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Dipropylene Glycol, Caprylyl Methicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Algae Exopolysaccharides, Glycerin, PEG-8 Dimethicone, Chlorella Protothecoides Oil, Haematococcus Pluvialis Extract, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl
Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Dimethicone, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Tocopherol, Isohexadecane, Decylene Glycol, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex, Beta-Carotene, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Steareth-2, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Silica, Alumina, Allantoin, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Polysorbate 60, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Sorbitan Isostearate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Arachidyl Alcohol, Soluble Collagen, EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Aminomethyl Propanol, Ammonium Polyacrylate, BHT, Raphanus Sativus (Radish) Root Extract, Capric Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Polyglyceryl-10 Oleate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Polyglyceryl-10 Stearate, Lysolecithin, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Coumarin, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

Super Contributor

This is named Anti-aging tinted moisturizer with spf, yet it is only $36. So I would assume that the treatment (anti-aging) ingredients alguronic acid and microalgae must be way down the ingredient deck, hence the relatively low price, and probably wouldn't be that effective unless you were layering it over other anti-aging serums. Does that sound like a fair assumption - if not, someone please let me know.

Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 Orchids4me said:

This is named Anti-aging tinted moisturizer with spf, yet it is only $36. So I would assume that the treatment (anti-aging) ingredients alguronic acid and microalgae must be way down the ingredient deck, hence the relatively low price, and probably wouldn't be that effective unless you were layering it over other anti-aging serums. Does that sound like a fair assumption - if not, someone please let me know.

well, if you look at the ingredients I posted, the microalgae and alguronic acid aren't too far down, not as far down as I would have expected, within ~ the first 1/3 of the list of ingredients. I highlighted them on the ingredient list for you.

Valued Contributor

On 1/26/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 1/26/2015 Lally said:Happy, I wish the vendors or host would swatch the shades. I am cool toned, so if there is yellow undertones, it won't work for me. I haven't a clue if I can wear one of the lightest two shades. I am confused with you. However, I really do like the results of so many of Algenist's products.

Thanks Lally. Smiley Happy Were you wanting the fair? That is the only thing I wasn't sure about since they didn't swatch colors and they didn't have a shade chart for fair and honestly, the light person looked very fair to me so it made me more confused. I haven't found anything about it online either (regarding ingredients).

I wish they would too. I am more neutral toned, but a tad more pink undertones so I too cannot do yellow undertones. I am glad you are getting good results from their products. Smiley Happy

Happy, Looks like a pass in the tinted moistuizer with the chemical block, and they put wheat in it. Geez. Thanks for posting the ingredients.
Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Lally said:
On 1/26/2015 Lally said:Happy, I wish the vendors or host would swatch the shades. I am cool toned, so if there is yellow undertones, it won't work for me. I haven't a clue if I can wear one of the lightest two shades. I am confused with you. However, I really do like the results of so many of Algenist's products.

Thanks Lally. Smiley Happy Were you wanting the fair? That is the only thing I wasn't sure about since they didn't swatch colors and they didn't have a shade chart for fair and honestly, the light person looked very fair to me so it made me more confused. I haven't found anything about it online either (regarding ingredients).

I wish they would too. I am more neutral toned, but a tad more pink undertones so I too cannot do yellow undertones. I am glad you are getting good results from their products. Smiley Happy

Happy, Looks like a pass in the tinted moistuizer with the chemical block, and they put wheat in it. Geez. Thanks for posting the ingredients.

What wrong with having wheat in it? If you are suggesting it's harmful for those with Celiac Diseas or those who have gluten sensitivities, from what I've read, that's only a problem when you ingest wheat/gluten. Wheat in shampoos, lotions and beauty products is not a threat.

Valued Contributor

On 1/27/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 1/27/2015 Lally said:

What wrong with having wheat in it? If you are suggesting it's harmful for those with Celiac Diseas or those who have gluten sensitivities, from what I've read, that's only a problem when you ingest wheat/gluten. Wheat in shampoos, lotions and beauty products is not a threat.

For a small percentage of people with gluten sensitivity, the skin can be reactive to wheat/oats as well. It's so fun always having to be Sherlock with ingredient decks. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Lally said:

You are welcome. I always like to read the ingredients for products as I know certain ingredients that bother me or aren't good for the skin and want to avoid them as much as possible. I am sorry you are sensitive to wheat. I am sure it is difficult to find products that are wheat free.

Valued Contributor

Thank you Happy. Yep, it is a challenge to find products. You know, I always enjoy when our posting paths cross.
Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Lally said: Thank you Happy. Yep, it is a challenge to find products. You know, I always enjoy when our posting paths cross.

Thank you, what a sweet thing to say! I enjoy it too and think that it doesn't happen often enough. Smile