Honored Contributor

ANY MAKEUP QUESTIONS FOR ME?

I have some time to answer questions. Any areas of makeup a problem for you?

Respected Contributor

Re: ANY MAKEUP QUESTIONS FOR ME?

I'll start, thanks. Any recs. on the best flake proof mascara? Also, it seems so many of them look really thick and crunchy on my lashes now matter how light I try to apply. Thanks again.  

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus Thanks so much!!  I used to use Philosophy skin tint, which was their lightweight tinted moisturizer.  It's discontinued and I'm running low.  Any suggestions for either a tinted moisturizer or BB/CC cream?  I'm working from home now (at least into 2022) and don't need full coverage.  I have combo skin.

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

I'll start, thanks. Any recs. on the best flake proof mascara? Also, it seems so many of them look really thick and crunchy on my lashes now matter how light I try to apply. Thanks again.  

@pupwhipped   Hi. I've had a lot of luck w/ L'Oreal Paradise. It's not as thickening as my usual L'Oreal Voluminous. A easy trick is to prevent too  much product on the mascara wand. I gently wipe the wand on a tissue before application. If you like a thicker lash look, I always recommend tightlining and then less mascara for a more natural look. 

Regular Contributor

What do you use to tight line? I'm having trouble finding something that stays put. Thanks for taking questions

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@Shanus Thanks so much!!  I used to use Philosophy skin tint, which was their lightweight tinted moisturizer.  It's discontinued and I'm running low.  Any suggestions for either a tinted moisturizer or BB/CC cream?  I'm working from home now (at least into 2022) and don't need full coverage.  I have combo skin.

@Knit-Chick   Every day is tinted moisturizer for me. I've  been using Bobbi Brown for many years because it has more coverage than most. MAC has a good one, too. I like that w/ moisturizer and color, I can skip a skincare step.  I add concealer around my nose, between brows or anywhere I need a bit more coverage. 

I've never liked BB or CC Creams. They feel too heavy and full coverage for me. They also, many times, include skincare, spf, etc. and I prefer to use my own skincare. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you, @Shanus. I do tightline but I will try wiping the wand which is a good tip. I haven't tried the Lash Paradise so I might give that a go. I did recently buy the Maybelline Sky High mascara that everyone was talking about. I kinda like it and I kinda don't. It's different. Have only used it a very few times so we'll see. I will confess, though, I do keep mascaras too long. I am one of those offenders. Ha! It's a bad habit to break. Woman Embarassed

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jobiz wrote:

What do you use to tight line? I'm having trouble finding something that stays put. Thanks for taking questions

@jobiz   You're welcome...love answering makeup questions. Tightlining is easiest w/ a sharp, but softer  pencil for me. I use Urban Decay pencils: Sabbath a gorgeous dark navy and smoke a dark grey. For black, also UD or Mally's blk.  pencils are "bullet proof". I have no issues with these transferring. 

When I have the time and want a more definite, darker  line, I use Bobbi Brown's Gel Liner in the pot w/ a very fine liner brush. It's easy to get between the lashes and I also line inside the upper waterline... stays put until you take it off.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pupwhipped wrote:

Thank you, @Shanus. I do tightline but I will try wiping the wand which is a good tip. I haven't tried the Lash Paradise so I might give that a go. I did recently buy the Maybelline Sky High mascara that everyone was talking about. I kinda like it and I kinda don't. It's different. Have only used it a very few times so we'll see. I will confess, though, I do keep mascaras too long. I am one of those offenders. Ha! It's a bad habit to break. Woman Embarassed

Thanks again!

@pupwhipped  If you keep pumping the wand into the mascara, dipping in for each eye, etc., air is pushed into the mascara and makes it thick and dry sooner. I usually dip in once, wipe on tissue and do a first coat on both eyes. Then only at night or special occasions (not very many now), I'll do the same to add a second coat. The thicker, volumizing and lengthening mascaras can give that spidery false lash look. That's not my thing, but some women do like that.

Definition for the eyes is mainly at the lashline. I hold the mascara wand as close to the lashline as possible and wiggle it back and forth...touching the lid if possible (ready made liner) and then up and out for length. BTW, # months is recommended as the longest time to keep a mascara before bacteria gets in there. That's another reason I wear only drugstore mascaras.  

Super Contributor

YES YES YES!  I've been waiting for this.  I had a small spot on my nose----it was "frozen" off several times, then biopsied and shaved/cut off.  It was not cancer. Now the scar is a terrible brown  place about the size of half a dime.  I own probably 25 concealers---none will cover---at least not for any length of time.  I googled and found orange on top of brown covered with concealer helps better than anything.  I found some long lasting orange lipstick in my drawer and cover with concealer---it does a "tad" bit better.  Oh, i have also tried lasering---at $100 a pop and not guarenteed---I am not financialy able to give this a try.  Any thoughts please?????  Thank you so very much!!