Honored Contributor

Re: A question regarding pedicures

@Deanie  

" What I learned from this is that people mistake kindness for weakness" 

SOME people do, not everyone. It would be a VERY sad world if that was the case. Hugs to you. : )

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam It sounds like you have some unique issues going on, have been very unlucky with podiatrists and have found a nail tech whose knowledge you trust. Maybe the "exception that proves the rule...?

I would trust opinion of the nail expert I know over any random physician (I'm including podiatrists in this category for this discussion) regarding a nail related issue. Heck, he was involved in writing text books for physicians. But I also respect the fact that while he does do some consultation work directly with physicians, he does not use his knowledge to diagnose directly. Just as a physician is unlikely to have his level of expertise in product chemistry, proper usage, sanitation and ventilation as it relates to cosmetics (specifically nail products), he recognizes that physicians have training in areas that he does not.

While it seems that your nail tech has found the correct solution for you, there are many nail techs who are undereducated even as far as the basics go. If I had any quiestion about that, the comments made by the ladies in here regarding their experiences, as well as info I've read elsewhere repeatedly confirms this.

Again, I'm happy for you. I just feel that it's important to keep this in context.

Trusted Contributor

I'm a diabetic and I get pedicures at a nail salon.  Never had a problem in 14  years except once when one toenail was cut a little too short, but nothing bleed. 

Honored Contributor

@juperier Absolutely correct. Not to mention; I think most of us have enough common sense to know when something is a serious cut  and something is not. 

It's funny that this post came along when it did as I was discussing this same topic (podiatrists doing a poor job vs a manicurist) with my MIL and some family friends (all women). Not one of us could state a positive experience with a podiatrist when it came to toenails (foot issues, inserts , etc were not an issue but toenails....) and how they all LOVE their manicurist.

There are good and bad in every profession. I don't think doctors are all-knowing/demi-gods like I did when I was a kid/20-something; Life has taught me otherwise.

Trusted Contributor

@Deanie Please don't feel you were wrong for using a joking manner. I'm sure the nail tech and salon owner are not bad people. You were trying to react kindly to people you've known for a while. I don't think there is a "perfect" reaction here. I don't think it would have been right to start yelling at them. Nor would it have been appropriate to pretend it didn't happen. As far as tipping, if it was done out of guilt, maybe you need to think about why you would have felt guilty not leaving a tip. If it was done because you felt you have previously received great service and this time was totally a mistake, that's your option.

But I am going to be blunt about deciding to take extra antibiotic you had. Part of the reason there are becoming more and more antibiotic resistant bacteria is tied to the fact that people either take antibiotics when they're not needed or fail to take them as directed (quitting when one begins to feel better is likely to leave some remaining bacteria which may now be more resistant to that type of antibiotic). Also, the type of antibiotic prescribed, as well as strength and length of treatment, is going to be based on the expected (or confirmed) type of bacteria. Even a prescription being given as a preventative is probably going to depend on one's overall health. Some health conditionsmedications taken make one much more likely to develop an infection.

A couple of more thoughts I want to put out there...

• It doen't have to be a big cut to end up with an infection. Nor does the injury need to have occured in the salon. The reason why any shaving of legs is supposed to be done more than 24 hours before a pedicure is due to the possibility of tiny abrasions to the skin that might allow entry of bacteria
  • Even if bacteria did not enter the body in the salon, it is certainly possible that the wound could be exposed to bacteria later

All that said, it sounds like you're dong fine so far. The important thing is to be aware so that immediate treatment is received in the event there is a problem.  If we got an infection every time the potential was there, we'd probably all have died already.

Respected Contributor

i can't believe the tech just placed her band-aided finger on the cut to stop the bleeding.  was your toe bleeding into the tub?  did you put your foot back in the water?  do you have any idea of the variety of germs and bacteria lurk in those pedi chair tubs? S.Aureas resides on skin and a cut can just throw the doors wide open for a MRSA staph infection.  

i would not use any old antibiotic you have lying around the house!   there are different antibiotics that treat gram positive and gram negative infections.  MRSA is gram positive it needs to be cultured.  see a doctor, have them do a culture and get a script for an antibiotic and a script for Mupiricin ointment.  at least you document this injury in the event you need further treatment.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam One would hope so. But bacteria have evolved over time. And infections can progress rapidly. I know one perosn who died from sepsis and two other who had extended stays in the hospital (at least one of them came very close to dying). I seriously doubt that any of their infections had anything to do with nail related issues.

Interesting comments re podiatrists. It's sad that better results are being obtains from those who are basically breaking the law. I've heard of nail techs that work directly with podiatrists. Maybe that niche needs to be encouraged.

I'm not sure I've ever thought that doctors are all-knowing/demi-gods. What I have come to realize is that there are so many potential issues and factors involved that that is practically impossible. I'd say the truly good ones understand this, plus likely have better instincts as to when someone fits the "exception" category.

My interest in all this actually developed as a result of several ladies who had onycholysis (lifting of nail plate from nail bed). Consistantly the physicians they went to (obviously) knew what condition they had and treated the resulting bacterial and fungal infections. But weren't so helpful at providing info on other things that supported healing. And the support the ladies involved provided to each other was major. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not able to read all the responses but I would strongly urge everyone to use their own manicure/pedicure equipment including nail polish, files, little cup where you soak your fingers. etc. It is best not to sit in the massage chair and soak your foot in a tub. Sit on a regular chair and have disposable plastic inserts go in the tub or bring your own tub.  The pipe that brings in clean water to the tub on the foot massage chair is the same pipe that takes out the dirty water. The tub gets cleaned but not the pipe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

Every one of you is awesome and full of important information.  I was wrong in that I complained using a joking manner.  And, I should not have left a tip.  I had thought about it, but, did not follow through.  I will be going to another salon. I did have some extra antibiotics at home which I promptly started, however, there seems to be no current bleeding, swelling, or redness.  No bumps or lumps.  I knew I would get some good direction and I did.  What I learned from this is that people mistake kindness for weakness. 

i think one of the best suggestions here is to get your own tools and bring them to appointments!  You can't get any more proactive than that. 

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

Every one of you is awesome and full of important information.  I was wrong in that I complained using a joking manner.  And, I should not have left a tip.  I had thought about it, but, did not follow through.  I will be going to another salon. I did have some extra antibiotics at home which I promptly started, however, there seems to be no current bleeding, swelling, or redness.  No bumps or lumps.  I knew I would get some good direction and I did.  What I learned from this is that people mistake kindness for weakness. 

@Deanie

I've been thinking about your situation and the joking and leaving a tip.   The Manager really screwed up here.    Letting the whole thing slide was just plain wrong.   That type of complacency in a service business is just not acceptable!

My suggestion is that you do a Yelp review for that salon ... as a parting gift.   Explain what happened and give them a low rating.   If they'd do it to you, they'll definitely do it to someone else ...  and people should be warned.   JMO, of course.