Valued Contributor

Re: 8 oz remoist - comb different?

My 2 OTO's shipped yesterday and they come with a comb and brush. I wonder if it will be the same as the one you all received. I don't have an old one to compare to. But I've seen pictures of the older design.
Love my Wen, Love my Animals! God Bless You All!
Valued Contributor

I compared the photos from the WEN by Chaz Dean Tea Tree Rejuvenating 4-pc.Collection with the new set (was the last OTO) and they do look a little different. The edge of the wide tooth comb seems to be lower in the tea tree set. The one I got with my remoist looks like the one with the new set. I never tried the other one, but I think mine is just great.
Formally NewtoWen
Valued Contributor

On 3/25/2014 Kjelle said:

I was surprised that the quality of the comb had decreased. {#emotions_dlg.sad}I just gave my mom the last one I had that was a newer comb but heavier weight. It's still good like you said, but one of us (can't remember the poster) has already had one break in half in the shower. Not cool. Thanks for calling the salon. Maybe I'll send an e-mail.

Here is the other thread about the comb it anyone wants to take a look at it. Smiley Happy http://community.qvc.com/forums/wen/topic/440136/i-am-wen-cursed.aspx#
Super Contributor

I was wondering about this after a couple of people mentioned that the comb seems fragile. I got a comb in December, and it is very thick plastic. The teeth are very sturdy and I don't feel like it's going to break when I use it. (In fact, it is heavy enough that I don't even feel like it's breakable!) I hope Chaz is able to determine what happened, because it does sound like a manufacturer screw-up.

Super Contributor

(Also, my comb did NOT come from the Q. My husband ordered a set with 613 products and a comb from Amazon--I think it was direct from Chaz's salon, but I'm not sure.)

Trusted Contributor

nm

Regular Contributor

There are three types of WEN combs that exist today, and all of them are made from a material generally called hard rubber. This is just a form of vulcanized rubber that is very hard and allows us to cut the combs with a saw and hand finish them. Normally a comb would be made from a mold and have leftover material that can snag and break the hair. The original design was first sold by Guthy Renker as part of their kit from the infomercial. It was a good comb but we weren't completely happy with the unpolished surface, and the teeth had sharper edges than we liked. We went back to our manufacturer and redesigned a bit which solved some of the problems we had with our original design by smoothing out the edges of the teeth a bit more so it was more comfortable to use on the scalp. The latest version adds quite a bit more polish and shaved some of the excess material off even further so the comb would be slightly more flexible. The reason we did that is because hard rubber, while very strong, is also very brittle. Allowing the comb to have a bit more flex reduces the chance for breakage during use. As you've seen first hand, a drop can result in broken teeth. This is more than likely was not the result of the new comb design itself. I've actually got one of the newer style that I've dropped multiple times and it's still perfect, and an old one that is missing 4 teeth from 4 separate drops. It really just comes down to the angle the comb lands at whether it's a new or old style. At this time, there are no plans to revert back to the older design. Though I am happy to send you a replacement free of charge of the newer style, which is the one we stock at the salon. I can also send a return label so you can get the broken one back to us so we can send it out to our manufacturer for review. We do keep track of any breakage we are seeing with our customers and should a flaw in the design become a problem we would of course work with the manufacturer to correct it. Sincerely, Chaz Dean Studio Email reply in reference to the comb discrepancies from Chaz 's salon. Thought you guys might find it interesting. .
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the info, fluffybear. I actually really like this newer, more flexible, more pointed teeth version. I am very happy with it and glad they changed it.

Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2014 FluffyBear said: There are three types of WEN combs that exist today, and all of them are made from a material generally called hard rubber. This is just a form of vulcanized rubber that is very hard and allows us to cut the combs with a saw and hand finish them. Normally a comb would be made from a mold and have leftover material that can snag and break the hair. The original design was first sold by Guthy Renker as part of their kit from the infomercial. It was a good comb but we weren't completely happy with the unpolished surface, and the teeth had sharper edges than we liked. We went back to our manufacturer and redesigned a bit which solved some of the problems we had with our original design by smoothing out the edges of the teeth a bit more so it was more comfortable to use on the scalp. The latest version adds quite a bit more polish and shaved some of the excess material off even further so the comb would be slightly more flexible. The reason we did that is because hard rubber, while very strong, is also very brittle. Allowing the comb to have a bit more flex reduces the chance for breakage during use. As you've seen first hand, a drop can result in broken teeth. This is more than likely was not the result of the new comb design itself. I've actually got one of the newer style that I've dropped multiple times and it's still perfect, and an old one that is missing 4 teeth from 4 separate drops. It really just comes down to the angle the comb lands at whether it's a new or old style. At this time, there are no plans to revert back to the older design. Though I am happy to send you a replacement free of charge of the newer style, which is the one we stock at the salon. I can also send a return label so you can get the broken one back to us so we can send it out to our manufacturer for review. We do keep track of any breakage we are seeing with our customers and should a flaw in the design become a problem we would of course work with the manufacturer to correct it. Sincerely, Chaz Dean Studio Email reply in reference to the comb discrepancies from Chaz 's salon. Thought you guys might find it interesting. .

FluffyBear, thank you for that in depth explanation. I just adore my Wen comb and knowing it had been changed left me with this feeling that maybe there was a better earlier version out there.

I've always wondered what the comb was made out of and I appreciate knowing it was made out of vulcanized rubber. It was interesting to read about how they've redesigned it to minimize snags.

It's also good to know that it's less likely to break when I drop it (cause I know that's going to happen).

Thanks again for sharing that email!!!

-- bebe {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/25/2014 Hilary77 said: By the way, the old comb I have came with a kit from Guthy Renker.

Hilary, do you remember which kit? My AD is coming up soon and I want a comb.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.