Contributor

Clarisonic Mia 2 - Purging?? Help!

So I finally broke down and decided to try the clarisonic. I've been using it with my normal, gentle cleanser and my normal moisturizers. Now after a week and a half I am breaking out on my chin, jaw line, and forehead. Also contributing to the issue could be monthly hormonal fluctuations (you know what I mean) that usually cause me to break out a bit. Some areas of my face, however, are looking quite nice!

I have read a LOT of reviews online with people talking about a "purging" stage and some saying that it doesn't exist. Some say they got through the "purging" stage and now they love the clarisonic.

I wanted to see if anyone had this experience and if they got through it. If yes, do you still use your clarisonic? I don't want to stop using it if this is a phase that will just pass.

Thank you! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Honored Contributor

Re: Clarisonic Mia 2 - Purging?? Help!

My personal opinion is that if your skin is bad enough to "purge," you might need a dermatologist.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Clarisonic Mia 2 - Purging?? Help!

I read about this so called purging just last week - the comment from the dermatologist was that most acne/pimples takes 3 to 4 weeks or more to develop so it is highly unlikely that breakouts from using a cleansing machine have anything to do with them. He added that strictly "surface" breakouts (no beneath the surface activity) can be a reaction to certain skincare (their ingredients actually) but any acne or pimple that can be felt beneath the skin is not due to products or cleansing machines. That type of breakout takes far longer to develop.

Prior to reading this, I had always thought that the general idea of purging was never medically supported and more often just a very common misconception. Seems, at least from this derm, I was on the right track though I didn't realize how long most breakouts do take to form. That surprised me a bit.